No
64%
Other (please specify)
7%

Total votes: 45

christianpfc

Do you like tattoos?

Post by christianpfc »

The subject of tattoos on Thai boys pops up every now and then, and the majority of Farang seem to dislike tattoos, but no poll has been on this as far as I know. So here we go! I don't like tattoos, but I have been able to train myself to accept small tattoos.
Bob

Re: Do you like tattoos?

Post by Bob »

I don't like them at all and generally wonder why anybody would do that. Sorta like jumping off a building as it's a bit difficult to undo later should you change your mind.

On the other hand, given so many Thais have tattoos, I've somewhat gotten used to them and even found some to be rather decorative; nevertheless, I'll never get one.
penguin

Post by penguin »

I voted Other, because it sort of depends.

Most of the time I don't like tattoos on guys here in the UK because they are so banal and boring. You see the same stupid designs on every idiot. I don't know what on earth makes them think it's a good idea. Ooooh! A Celtic swirly thing! No one else will have one of them!

Sometimes you find one that's unusual, and that can be bad (the guy with the Snow White witch on his chest) or interesting (the guy with the quote from Kafka on his arm) or sexy (the red flower on the upper arm of a very pale guy from Poland.)

I have quite liked the tattoos of the Thai guys I've met because they've been unusual to me. But I'm not sure how much I'll like it when I'm in a room full of them. Ambivalent, I imagine.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

While I respect religious reasons for tattoos in Thailand I don't care at all to see them on men there merely as fad-like decoration. To my way of thinking it's disfiguring, and in time they ALL start to look rather sad to me.

I'm sure there are members here who still look at their inking and enjoy them after X number of decades, but I'm sure there are also members who regret them and wouldn't have gotten them if they had a way to undo the essentially un-doable.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My vote is no. I have been able to come to terms with and accept a small tattoo or two, but I still don't like them. I've said it before, but I simply do not understand why anyone would want to permanently place an image on their bodies when they wouldn't be caught dead placing the same image in a frame and hanging it on their wall.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

beachlover wrote:Nope... don't like them. But I haven't come across many Thai boys with tattoos.
Which Thailand are you in? Nearly all the Thais I see have at least one tattoo.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

lvdkeyes wrote:
beachlover wrote:Nope... don't like them. But I haven't come across many Thai boys with tattoos.
Which Thailand are you in? Nearly all the Thais I see have at least one tattoo.

Well put!
xiandarkthorne

Post by xiandarkthorne »

I voted yes...but then I have several tattoos myself. Mine are symbolic of certain things which have occurred in my life but certainly not religious in the strict sense of the word. I do NOT have swirly Celtic things (properly referred to as 'tribal art' - most of those you see have no symbolic meaning or significance) since I don't have a single drop of Celtic blood in my veins, now would I want to have any kind of tattoo which was purely decorative (matter of opinion here) in nature.

An easy way to distinguish between a fad tat and a religious one in Thailand is the subject of the tattoo. The ones done for religious purposes are usually Sanskrit script, pictures of various revered phor tan (monks noted for their mystical powers), local deities or the Buddha or magic squares (sometimes astrological squares). The swirly ones which involve large solid areas of black ink are more often than not, regrettable 'fashions' for Asians.

The only real Asian tribal tattoos are the ones you see on the natives of some Pacific islands, Sarawak, Sabah and other parts of old Borneo, and some hill tribes in the Asian continent who also have their own individual symbolic tattoos. These are almost never 'swirly' but solid pictorial/symbolic representations of various natural things like animals, plants, etc. and are tattooed 'in isolation' i.e. without dark 'swirly' backgrounds of any kind since these would be considered 'unlucky' and would interfere with the purpose of having the original native tats.

On Japanese tattoos, however, the shaded swirly bits are necessary as these can represent clouds, waves, thunder or winds (swirly spirals for example) and are often used as backgrounds to bring out the lush colours of the main tattoos which can represent gods, goddesses, qualities (e.g. courage) or legendary personages.

I realize that not everyone wants to resemble a walking artist's canvas or three-year-old child's scratch pad but I confess that ever since I was fifteen, it has been my ambition to look like a Tang Dynasty whorehouse carpet. And when I get into bed with a well-tattooed guy, the inks on his skin add an element of the erotic for me...especially when I examine them thiscloseup.
I'm too old to be an enfant terrible so I'll just have to settle for being an irrrrrrrascible old fart! My Blog is here http://xiandarkthorne.blogspot.com/
vpnoy

Post by vpnoy »

I voted yes, and I have one myself (a Buddhist mantra). I agree with xiandarkthorne. When it is done tastefully and there is some meaning and reasons to the person him/herself, I find it can be an interesting conversation piece as well as a turn-on for me in bed!
Jason1988

Post by Jason1988 »

No, I don't care for them at all. But it is your body and you can do as you choose. Just don't expect me to like it.