Visa overstay blacklisting to begin in March

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Visa overstay blacklisting to begin in March

Post by Gaybutton »

Overstay blacklisting starts in March

The Nation
December 9, 2015

Thailand's Immigration Bureau could start blacklisting foreigners who stay beyond their visa period with effect from March 2016.

The royal decree on the blacklisting is expected to be promulgated in late March, said bureau chief Pol Maj Gen Natthorn Prosunthorn.

He said that the foreigners would be divided into two groups: those on overstay who turn themselves to the authorities and those who are arrested for overstaying.

In the first group, those with one year of overstay will be subject to a 3-year entry ban; those with more than 3 years of overstay will be banned for 5 years; and those with over 5 years of overstay will be banned for 10 years.

Those falling into the second group will be banned for 5-10 years depending on the overstay length.

He added that he believed that a large number of foreigners would contact the authorities before the law takes effect. This will facilitate the authorities’ monitoring of foreigners and screen quality visitors, he said.

"The existing law is weak, with fines of only Bt20,000," he said.

On average, about 1,100 foreigners in Greater Bangkok submitted applications for permission to lengthen their stay in the past year, or 280,000 in total. Outside Bangkok, over 900,000 submitted the applications during October 1-November 30, 2015.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakin ... 74578.html
Gaybutton

Re: Visa overstay blacklisting to begin in March

Post by Gaybutton »

Blacklist awaits visa-overstaying foreigners

9 Dec 2015

The Immigration Bureau plans to fine and blacklist foreigners who overstay their visas from March or April next year.

Bureau chief Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn Prausoontorn said on Wednesday that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had approved the bureau's proposal on Nov 27 to fine and ban overstayers from re-entering the country for some years depending on the length of their overstay.

People who overstay will be treated according to whether they turn themselves in or are arrested.

For cases of surrender, those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban, and for more than one year they will be banned from re-entering Thailand for three years. Those with more than three years' overstay will blacklisted for five years. Excessive overstay of five years or more will result in a re-entry ban of 10 years.

In cases of arrest, those who overstay their visas by up to one year will be banned from re-entering Thailand for five years and those with more than one year's overstay period will be blacklisted for 10 years.

The immigration commissioner expected the new regulation to improve control on visiting foreigners and screen out unwanted elements.

A large number of foreigners likely would pay fines and leave the country ahead of the imposition of the regulation, he said, while admitting that the fine was small at 20,000 baht.

At present, European, American and Asian visitors without approved visas can stay for 30 days, renewable for 30 days. Those with prior-arranged visas can stay 60 days renewable for 30 days. Those who want longer stays for medical treatment or business could have their intention verified before approval, the commissioner said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... foreigners
gumbleby

Post by gumbleby »

Bangkok Post wrote:At present, European, American and Asian visitors without approved visas can stay for 30 days, renewable for 30 days.
I wasn't aware it was possible to prolong your stay for 30 days in case of visa-less entry. I had heard of 7 days max. Is this some new arrangement?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gumbleby wrote:I had heard of 7 days max.
That's what I thought too. Maybe there has been a rule change (unannounced rule changes are all too common) or maybe the Bangkok Post article has it wrong. Maybe the article is talking about a visa run or something.

Of course, many find out that when they go to immigration, what actually ends up taking place is at the whim of the immigration officer they happen to be dealing with. If you're lucky, wonderful. If not, there's not much you can do about it. If it were me traveling to Thailand, if I intended to stay longer than 37 days, the last thing I would do is enter without a visa and take my chances with immigration. I'd rather spring for a tourist visa and not have to worry about it.

Not all that long ago, one horror story happened to a farang who was living in Thailand on the retirement visa. He wanted to take a trip to Laos. He went to immigration to buy a reentry permit. The immigration officer told him that was not necessary when going to Laos. So, off he went to Laos. After his trip he returned to Thailand. A couple months later it was time for him to submit his address report. He had a little surprise when he was told he had overstayed his visa by more than a month. Since he had no reentry permit, when he returned to Thailand it was on the 30-day privilege. He didn't realize it and had not checked whatever was stamped into his passport.

Of course, telling immigration about the officer who had given him incorrect information fell right onto deaf ears. He took his complaint to the top officer at immigration and was told they were aware of the erroneous information being given by that immigration officer and he was not the only farang who had lost his visa because he had no reentry permit. He was told that the immigration officer had been disciplined and transferred, but despite being given erroneous information he would still have to pay the overstay fine, leave Thailand, reenter, and start the retirement visa process all over again.

Immigration told him they knew none of this was his fault. Nevertheless he ended up having to fly to Singapore, return to Thailand on the 30-day privilege, go to the USA embassy and pay for another proof-of-income statement, return to immigration, and pay for a new retirement visa. By the time he was done, he had spent a couple thousand dollars and had gone through a hell of a lot of aggravation.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

gumbleby wrote:I wasn't aware it was possible to prolong your stay for 30 days in case of visa-less entry. I had heard of 7 days max. Is this some new arrangement?
The ability to extend visa exempt entries by 30 days has existed for roughly six months now. The cost, as for all extensions is 1900 baht.

There is one catch: most airlines will still not let you board your flight to Thailand without an onward flight within 30 days unless you have some sort of visa (any sort).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:unless you have some sort of visa (any sort).
I'm glad it's now possible to get a 30 day extension. Obviously, I didn't know that. Most holiday makers entering Thailand would have a round-trip ticket anyway. If not, I suppose what a person could do if entering Thailand without a visa would be to book a refundable onward ticket or book a cheapo Asia Air flight or something. I assume it would have to be an international flight out of Thailand, which probably would also require proof of a visa.

In that case it would probably be easier and less expensive to just get a tourist visa and be done with it.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

The Pattaya City Expats Club website shows the change was made on August 29, 2014 http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/ex ... ailand.pdf
Extension of Stay – If you enter Thailand under Visa Exempt status, you can apply for an extension of stay at a Thai Immigration Office – effective August 29, 2014, you can apply for a 30 day extension; thus being permitted to stay a maximum of 60 days – the fee for extending the original 30 day stay at Thai Immigration is 1,900 Baht.
They also have a link to the Immigration Police Order that changed it from 7 to 30 days for extensions of visa exempt entries http://www.pcecnews.com/permNL/Immigrat ... s%20en.pdf - it is contained in section 2.4 of the Order.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Okay, the previous August. My, how time flies.

" ...the Immigration Police Order that changed it from 7 to 30 days... "

In the past, Immigration would accept your request for an extension and your 1900 baht, deny the request, and give you seven days to leave the country.

Now, if it suits your needs, you can use up your thirty days, pay for thirty more, then pay for the seven day grace period just as before.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

No more than what happens here in the UK.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Thai authorities know of every foreigner who enters Thailand via a border checkpoint or airport. Thus, they should have a complete list of everyone who is on overstay, with address the person reported when entering Thailand (I know from coming via airport or doing visa extension that the address you provide is scrutinized). They could send the police to get the overstayers.