Traffic violation crackdown begins in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Traffic violation crackdown begins in Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

Does this sound familiar? Cross your fingers. Maybe this time they mean business, but I'll believe it when I see it. If this time they really are serious about it, I hope this crackdown will be permanent rather than the usual week or two and then things return to "normal."

Traffic Crackdown in Pattaya begins

16 February, 2016

Another parade of Police took place on Pattaya Beach on Monday afternoon and this time it was organized to mark the start of a crackdown on those who break traffic laws.

Police Major General Ampon, the Provincial Police Commander, led proceedings and began by welcoming the Army, District Officers and Pattaya City Hall Officials, who will assist the Police in running the crackdown which will focus on 5 specific traffic violations.

During the crackdown, which will last for an unspecified amount of time, officers will be looking out for motorists who overtake slower-moving vehicles in areas of double or single yellow lines. Those parked in prohibited areas, in either red& white or black& white zones will be targeted along with those motorists who cross junction lines to turn into side-roads before the traffic light turns green. Motorists who travel in the wrong direction along roads and vehicles displaying fake license plates will also be targeted.

A press conference at the end of the crackdown will be held to announce the results and the General expects hundreds of arrests.

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2215 ... ya-begins/
gerefan

Re: Traffic violation crackdown begins in Pattaya

Post by gerefan »

All that effort to save lives?
Who's going to monitor the bridge players?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

They may be getting serious - at least a little bit - after all. They're targeting illegally parked tour buses parked under the Bali Hai Pier flyover. See: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/bali-ha ... down-56372

Of course, nothing seems to be happening about all the other hundreds of tour buses parked everywhere else in Pattaya. It's one thing when the tour buses are actually transporting people, but just as many of them are empty, causing traffic problems while they're busy searching for somewhere to park. I wish the city would do something to provide a place for the buses to park and require all the empty buses to park there.

While they're at it, I also wouldn't mind seeing the police target businesses putting barriers on public streets to prevent anyone from parking in front of their shops. They have no right to do that, but they've been getting away with it for years with total impunity. Also, more than once I've had people from various shops run outside to literally scream at me for parking in front of their shop and there wasn't even a barrier. When that happens, most of the time I'll look for someplace else to park. I don't want to return to my car to find my tires slashed - and that has happened, including to people I know.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

To date, I have yet to witness any evidence of a crackdown. I still see the same violations going on as usual. Maybe the following will do something about the violators, but for some strange reason I'm not holding my breath.

Traffic law enforcement tightened ahead of Songkran

by Suchat Sritama

THE NATION
March 11, 2016

Police are cracking down on traffic-law violations in eight tourist destinations, particularly during the Songkran Festival.

Since March 1, the Royal Thai Police and its relevant divisions - Tourist Police, Traffic Police, Strategy Division, and Foreign Affairs Division - in collaboration with the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Department of Highways have been strengthening the enforcement of traffic laws on motorists and motorcyclists.

The authorities yesterday said the aim was to improve road safety at major tourist destinations.

The targeted destinations are Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Koh Samui, Phuket, Hat Yai, Samut Prakan and Ayutthaya.

The strict enforcement will cover 10 key traffic rules and regulations including driving on sidewalks, driving without a licence, driving against the traffic, failing to give way to pedestrians at crossings, driving without wearing a seatbelt or helmet, careless or inconsiderate driving, driving under the influence or while intoxicated, illegal car accessorising, and parking in a prohibited space.

The government announced in late January that it was asking police to tighten enforcement on traffic rules and regulations across the country as part of the broader effort to upgrade safety and security standards, and to boost trust and confidence among the public.

A representative of the Tourism and Sports Ministry said the tighter enforcement should reduce car accidents especially during next month's Songkran Festival, when millions of local and foreign tourists will be travelling by car.

For years, the government has marked the "Seven Dangerous Days" of the Songkran Festival. The campaign aimed to reduce car accidents.

Next month, more minivans from China are expected to cross into the Kingdom, especially the Northern region. Boonsong Techamanisathit, governor of Chiang Rai province, said immigration officers at entry gates would provide driving manuals and advise drivers on the tighter law enforcement.

Meanwhile, Sukanya Sirisopokakit, director of the Chiang Rai Transport Office, said all vehicles including minivans from China were required to buy third-class insurance before entering the country. The Transport Office earlier announced that all cars from China had to have Po Ro Bo insurance.

According to the Chiang Rai office, 1,487 cars from China passed through the Chiang Kong gate in the province in 2013, 8,883 in 2014, and 9,248 last year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busines ... 81260.html