Makha Bucha Day Photos

Anything and everything about Thailand
jason105

Makha Bucha Day Photos

Post by jason105 »

I have never been in Thailand for this particular celebration but I saw an article about Makha Bkucha Day with some stunningly beautiful photos.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mak ... f=religion

Hopefully the link will work and you can see the photos taken at Wat Phra Dhammakaya Temple outside Bangkok.
lvdkeyes

Re: Makha Bucha Day Photos

Post by lvdkeyes »

This is the very controversial temple.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Indeed it is. My boyfriend is an adherent and travels all the way from Khampaeng Phaet for its special occasions. I have reservations , particularly in relation to the amount of money he gives to the temple, but it has helped him through some very difficult times over the past decade and so I would never discourage him.
I was surprised that the junta banned the DMC TV channel when it seized power.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oliver wrote:I was surprised that the junta banned the DMC TV channel when it seized power.
Obviously because of their strong bonds with the opposite camp. Just read about the Supreme Patriarch appointment mess and you won't be all that surprised anymore.

As for "Wat" Dhammakaya and their teachings, it has nothing to do with Buddhism whatsoever. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as one's point of view is that there should be religious freedom and no such thing as a state religion, just saying.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

The ban was lifted a few months after the coup. Wisely, in view of its popularity.
Perhaps an exaggeration to say that the teachings have "nothing to do with Buddhism whatever"? There are various strands of Buddhism, of which this is only one.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I guess my point of view is that this isn't a flavor of Buddhism, but something else entirely that merely uses some familiar elements of Buddhism for marketing purposes / easier recruitment of followers in a predominantly "Buddhist country". That's ultimately a matter of opinion or belief, same as one's stand on whether or not Mormons are Christians. And as being religious as such. If I were the one who were to decide Dhammakaya's fate, they would be classified as a criminal organization, disbanded and all their properties confiscated. But then again I'd do the same to the Catholic Church, so I'd have the pitchforks coming at me from various directions. ;)
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

They do indeed put on a spectacular show on Buddhist holidays (I went last year on a Buddhist holiday and twice more in previous years on general days, see my blog for details). Entry is free, the structures are spectacular, I will not complain about the sect and their activities.