What does this mean?

Anything and everything about Thailand
jason105

What does this mean?

Post by jason105 »

I have seen so many pictures of Thai (and other Asians as well) who place their hands in the "L" position under their chins.
Does anyone know what it's supposed to mean?
I "googled" it but could not find anything that made sense.
The closest I could find was "handsome"???
Also, I tried to add a picture showing the gesture but it wouldn't paste
Gaybutton

Re: What does this mean?

Post by Gaybutton »

jason105 wrote:I tried to add a picture showing the gesture but it wouldn't paste
That is not how photos can be attached to a post. For instructions how to include photos in posts, see: http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2489

That "L" gesture is thought of as "I'm framing my face."
naughty but nice

Re: What does this mean?

Post by naughty but nice »

Handsome or pensive or thinking are the most popular explanations as to what this means.

My housekeepers kids in Bangkok adopt this pose whenever they are asked a question that they need a few minutes to think about, but at the same time adopt the pose whoever they are photographed.

A colleague of mine in London has two teenage kids and they explain it the same way, I guess that really it means whatever you want it to mean if you are adopting the pose.

It is hardly new though. I have photos of my sister and I taken 30+ years ago when we're were growing up in Bangkok doing the same thing, we used it as 'handsome' but of course we were!