E-money system planned for skytrain

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

by Suchit Leesa-Nguansuk

1 Apr 2016

SET-listed BTS Group Holdings and Japan's Line Corporation have entered into a joint venture to develop a mobile payment service for skytrain fares as part of Thailand's drive towards becoming a cashless society.

The next stage for the venture is to set up mobile payments both online and in stores, said Keeree Kanjanapas, chairman of BTS Group Holdings.

The 50:50 joint venture between BTS Group's subsidiary, Bangkok Smartcard System (BSS), and Line Corporation's subsidiary, Line Biz Plus, will have registered capital of 400 million baht.

BSS, the operator of Rabbit card, put 750 million baht into the venture in exchange for a 50% shareholding stake in Line Biz Plus -- the operator of Line Pay service.

The Rabbit card, an e-money system, can be used to pay for BTS's skytrain fares and other mass transit networks, on top of a limited number of additional retail services.

Line Pay allows Line users in Thailand to register their debit or credit cards on their accounts and make mobile payments both online and in stores.

"We see the future of mobile payment in Thailand, which is being fuelled by the proliferation of smartphones and the government's efforts to push a cashless society," Mr Keeree said.

Thailand has 33 million Line users, while BSS's Rabbit card has gained a strong foothold in offline payment services, he added.

Takeshi Idezawa, chief executive of Line Corporation, said this venture is the first partnership deal for Line in Thailand, reinforcing that the country is an important market for the company.

Line Pay will be renamed Rabbit Line Pay by September. The service has attracted 1.5 million users in Thailand since being introduced last year.

Nelson Leung, chief executive of Bangkok Smartcard System (BSS), said the Rabbit card had attracted 5 million users since its inception four years ago, who clock in 20 million rides per month.

BSS expects up to 40% of Line's 33 million users in Thailand to use Rabbit Line Pay within the next two years, he said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transpo ... r-skytrain
Trongpai

Re: E-money system planned for skytrain

Post by Trongpai »

The Rabbit Card has been around for quite a few years and I thought it was a good idea, but soon after it was introduced vendors began adding minimum purchase requirements and then the card reader was often posted with a sign of not working. Then if it was open and working many of the staff had no clue how to use it and would have to call the manager and that would hold up the line. I just gave up using it and only use it as a pass for the BTS with adding cash as I go.

There was also a lot of articles about the BTS/BRT and MRT would combine cards. I last read that it would be implemented in Aug of last year. Nothing yet. Even the tollways have two different systems, Easy-Pass and M-Pass.

BTS security dress like storm troopers but MRT security are in soft easy clothing. Another big difference is MRT gives the 60 and over senior discount cards to any farang but BTS only gives it to Thai citizens. BTS stations stop, stand and play the National Anthem at 8am and 6pm but in the MRT stations it's not played. Different management styles as well as different computer/fare systems.
Jun

Post by Jun »

There are plenty of benchmarks around the world.

Japan has regional cards such as Pasmo & Suica, which seem to work on every bus, train & underground in the greater Tokyo region. Seamlessly. Including on transfer gates where you pass directly from one rail company to another, via one gate, not an out gate and an in gate.

Even in London, the Oyster card works on the whole underground network plus the buses. Contactless bank cards can apparently also be used for the same purpose.

Or how about the Akbil in Istanbul ?
Alex

Post by Alex »

It's really quite sad. When you are late to the party, you can and should learn from mistakes made elsewhere - and adopt what has proven a huge success. Bangkok really had plenty of blueprints to choose from, both regionally and globally, to roll out an integrated ticketing system for all its commuter trains. That they are operated by different companies is merely a lame excuse, as a smart card based system can easily track a card's usage between all participating operators. I guess we all know the reason why it hasn't happened.

I like the Rabbit card as it is, actually, I'd just like to get rid of the additional MRT card I need to carry around. I, too, did encounter the occasional terminal problem in the beginning, but haven't since a long time. So either that has improved a lot or I'm just lucky.