Visa Extension Woes

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Re: Visa Extension Woes

Post by RichLB »

I now have my passport back complete with Visa, but to add to the discussion, I observed the following while waiting to pick up my passport. The poor ol' codger in front of me was told he did not have proper address notification. He told the lady he lived with his girl friend at her place and did not have any rental receipts or a lease. After considerable confusion, the lady finally suggested he get a Thai driver's license with the address on it before he could get his retirement visa extended. The poor guy left shaking his head and totally confused. I felt sorry for him.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:The poor guy left shaking his head and totally confused.
That's another reason to renew several days, at least, in advance of the expiration date. You never know what little surprises immigration might have in store for you and you might need a few days to get whatever it is they want.

"There's always the unexpected, isn't there?"
- Jack Hawkins (Warden), 'The Bridge on the River Kwai'
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

There are visa services/agents who can expedite such extensions for retirement for a fee, of course. They seem to know how to cut through the red tape.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:There are visa services/agents who can expedite such extensions for retirement for a fee, of course.
Personally, I think those are nothing but rip-offs. The procedure is very simple and I can't think of any reason, other than highly unusual circumstances, why an agent would be necessary at all. And even with an agent, you still have to appear personally to get the visa. You would still have to provide the same documents to an agent that you would have to provide to immigration.

I can't think of any reason to use an agent unless you encounter problems you just can't cope with by yourself.

Same thing with driving licenses, by the way. The first time I applied for a Thai driving license, I took an agent from those booths across the road from the driving license office. I had no idea what to do. I paid 1000 baht for the service. It turned out the procedure was so simple that the last thing I needed was help from an agent or anyone else. 1000 baht down the drain for nothing. Total waste of money.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote:
windwalker wrote:There are visa services/agents who can expedite such extensions for retirement for a fee, of course.
Personally, I think those are nothing but rip-offs. The procedure is very simple and I can't think of any reason, other than highly unusual circumstances, why an agent would be necessary at all. And even with an agent, you still have to appear personally to get the visa. You would still have to provide the same documents to an agent that you would have to provide to immigration.
Actually, in this case you are totally wrong. I won't go into details but as RichLB wrote ,
"The poor guy left shaking his head and totally confused.", if he had an agent he would not have to gone to Immigration and would have had his visa in hand. Same as LKAsians posted, no questions and no problems.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

LKAsians wrote:If you don't tip them you are really a Cheap Charlie as they are helpful and have always been very efficient in their efforts.
I'm embarrassed to say it never occurred to me to tip them, but you're right about the good job they do. From now on, they'll certainly get a tip from me whenever I need to use them.
puan

Post by puan »

Oh my, GB. May I share your embarrassment? I too have not tipped. They do an excellent, efficient job.
I guess I am so focused on the process ahead of me I just do not think.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

puan wrote:Oh my, GB. May I share your embarrassment?
It never occurred to me that this is the kind of business where tips might even be expected at all. Then again, it's hard to find Thais who won't accept a tip - no matter what the business may be . . .