Visa Extension Woes

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Visa Extension Woes

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:Previously, they accepted a lease agreement, rental contract . . .
If it is registered in the land office, they still will. If not, that's when you have to jump through hoops.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Although the Pattaya City Expats Club tries to keep their information up to date, the issue of proof of address for annual extensions doesn't seem to be applied consistently - they have been posting information in their Website Announcements and weekly Newsletter - here is latest:
ALERT FOR EXPATS RENTING TO/FROM ANOTHER EXPAT -- It appears that Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration Office may not approve applications for retirement extensions if you are renting a property from another retired expat unless they have a Work Permit for leasing their property. However, we have other recent reports that it was not required. Conflicting reports, we know, but it appears it is not always being required. Another report is that there is no problem if the owning Expat uses a regular management agent to do the rental and rental documents to be used for the extension come from the management agent.

IS IT OR IS IT NOT REQUIRED? PROOF OF RESIDENCE WHEN RENEWING OR GETTING A RETIREMENT EXTENSION IF RENTING FROM A THAI LANDLORD – If you rent, Pattaya Immigration not too long ago added a requirement for providing a copy of your Thai landlord’s ID card and house book. However, some recent reports indicate that this added requirement is not consistently required or is no longer being asked for. A fellow Expat obtained a list form Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration in February 2016 showing documents required for the retirement extension. Click here to see a copy. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available – we will appreciate hearing from retirees that have very recently renewed or applied for their retirement extension of stay as to what documents they were required to show as evidence of their residence. See email address below or send to [email protected].

PROOF OF RESIDENCE WHEN RENEWING OR GETTING A RETIREMENT EXTENSION IF YOU HAVE A PROPERTY OWNED BY YOUR COMPANY, LTD. – Latest report on requirements is that if you have a property owned by your Company, Ltd., the Immigration Officer refused to accept a copy of a utility bill as it was in the Company name, but they did accept the Expat’s Thai driving license which had his address on the reverse side. Other reports have been that you need the Chanote (land document showing company as owner) and Company documents showing that the Expat applicant in the Managing Director.
This is the url for the "click here" above: http://www.pcecnews.com/permNL/DOCUMENT ... ONBURI.pdf

Their website includes the following - which IMO is good advice:
TIP: Do not wait till the last day to renew your extension of stay - give yourself time to take care of any “hitches” that might arise as Thai Immigration is sometimes known to make changes without advance notice or require additional documentation besides that listed here. Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration will process renewals up to 30 days in advance.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:Although the Pattaya City Expats Club tries to keep their information up to date
That is almost an exercise in futility. I rely on my own experience and what people who have recently gone through the process post here. You just never know with any kind of certainty,what to expect. Even if you go to renew a retirement visa with all the correct documentation, don't be surprised if they still want additional copies of something. And don't forget - some of it is at the whim of the officer you're dealing with.

I'm questioning this part of of the quote you posted: "they did accept the Expat’s Thai driving license which had his address on the reverse side." Mine doesn't. Mine doesn't show my address at all. What's he got that I ain't got . . . ?

I'm also taken by surprise by the part on the link that talks about the bank letter. A bank letter hasn't been a requirement for several years. Have they reinstated that requirement? I always get the bank letter anyway. For 100 baht, which is Bangkok Bank's fee, I'd rather have it and be safe than sorry. Also, at least at my branch, they organize the letter along with all the other documents into one nice, neat little package for presentation to immigration. On the day I go to renew my retirement visa, my first stop is always at the bank to get the letter and get my passbook updated. That way, immigration can't complain about the date.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Unless you have a provisional Thai DL, it should have both your residential address (in Thai, obviously) and your passport number on it. Mine has, the address is on the reverse side and not printed very big, so you wouldn't be the first one who has simply overlooked it. That or they've forgotten it in your case, that might happen?
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"I'm questioning this part of of the quote you posted: "they did accept the Expat’s Thai driving license which had his address on the reverse side." Mine doesn't. Mine doesn't show my address at all."

Ever since they switched to plastic, roughly 10 years ago, your address is on the back, in Thai.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

My Thai DL also has my address in Thai on the reverse side.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:Ever since they switched to plastic, roughly 10 years ago, your address is on the back, in Thai.
I had another look. Yes, there it is. I was wrong. My excuse is I didn't have a scanning electron microscope available to read it. Most of the reverse side is blank space. I wonder why they made the print that small.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

When I got my driver's licence, I was renting. Now I have bought a condo, I thought it might be a good idea to have the address on the back changed from the address where I was renting to that of my own condo. Just in case. Can't do it. I was told at the office out in the wilderness where such things are done, to come back when the five year licence expires.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I'm also taken by surprise by the part on the link that talks about the bank letter
If you are using 800,000 on deposit in a Thai bank OR a combination of income and money in the bank, a bank letter is required.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Something that is not making sense to me at all, and in Thailand that is not necessarily unusual, is immigration readily accepts address reports. They've even gone to simply accepting the bar code without having to bring any evidence of your actual address at all. I can understand proof-of-residence requirements for first time retirement visa applicants, but for those of us who have been submitting address reports without immigration asking any questions, why the sudden need to have to jump through proof-of-residence documentation hoops when renewing the retirement visa?

Unless someone has a logical explanation, guess what the next item is for my "I Don't Get It" list . . .