TOQ died this evening - Saturday, April 30

Anything and everything about Thailand
naughty but nice

Re: TOQ died this evening - Saturday, April 30

Post by naughty but nice »

Very sad news.

I met John three weeks ago for dinner and our usual chat. He was looking very frail although he maintained his sense of humour.

I first met John some years ago as we both sponsored some kids for their education through the Pattaya Street Kids Charity, something I know that John was still doing up to the time of his passing.

We have all lost a good friend but the world has lost a true gentleman.
Surfcrest

Post by Surfcrest »

I met John down at the Beach, we talked about all the old characters that have come and gone over the years. I was surprised how much he knew about so many things. He made me feel like I had known him for years outside of the Message Boards. I'll think fondly of his warm smile and kind heart.

Surfcrest
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Surfcrest posted this on the Sawatdee forum. I'm glad he did. It's a great way to remember TOQ. Loads of photos and anecdotes.

http://toqs.wordpress.com/

We are still waiting for funeral arrangement details.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I thought I would have had information about a funeral for TOQ by now, but so far I have nothing. If anyone has information, please post. I'm sure many would like to be there if it will be local.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

I asked yesterday Wednesday
.... No date set yet.
I will share when known.
Tj
Rainwalker

Post by Rainwalker »

"Prayers for John Lewis start tomorrow at Wat Tam.

The final service and cremation will be Monday.

If anything changes, I will let you know."

-- from a text message on Thursday at 4:45 PM by John Collins. a very good friend of John's and the guy who is dealing with TOQ's death.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

For those who have no idea where Wat Tam is, it's on "The Dark Side." The easiest way to get there is to go up Pattaya Tai to Sukhumvit. At the traffic light instead of turning onto Sukhumvit, just go straight across and go up the small soi. About 200 to 300 meters up the soi, Wat Tam is on the left. You can't miss it. Enter at the first entrance you come to. That is where they conduct funerals.

What we need to know now is what time the funeral will be.

Folks, on a personal matter I hope you'll forgive me, but I doubt I am going to attend. The reason for that and the reason I know the location of Wat Tam is because on the very same day TOQ died, a Thai boy very close to me also died. His funeral will be at Wat Tam on Saturday. I will go to that funeral.

Also, only three months ago, another Thai boy I was very close to died. I went to that funeral too. His family had no money. I paid for it.

Just today I was told that yet another Thai boy, a boy I know quite well, but am not particularly close to, is dying and it's too late to save him.

On top of all that Allan Szivulka just died and we were friends.

I apologize to all if I don't attend TOQ's funeral, but I've had enough.
Rainwalker

Post by Rainwalker »

On Monday at Wat Tam, prayers for John Lewis begin at 7:30 PM followed by his cremation.

Suggested arrival time is 7:00 PM.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Prayers start Friday night at 7pm and will be held 3 nights...F/S/S nights. The final service is 2pm Monday with cremation at 3pm. It is suggested you arrive between 6 and 6:30 for prayers and 1:30p Monday..

Just received the Above update on John's funeral service.
xiandarkthorne

Post by xiandarkthorne »

I'm so sorry to hear this.
I'm too old to be an enfant terrible so I'll just have to settle for being an irrrrrrrascible old fart! My Blog is here http://xiandarkthorne.blogspot.com/