I give up. Does this make ANY sense?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

I give up. Does this make ANY sense?

Post by Gaybutton »

I can't make sense of this one, even by Thai logic.

Septic Waste Dumped at Thepprasit, Pattaya

1 May, 2016

Residents in Theppasit Soi 5 have made a complaint to Pattaya’s Municipality Offices about the obnoxious smell from a garbage truck dumping septic waste.

Locals informed reporters that they have made a complaint before, with photos taken as evidence when the truck arrived and left all the waste, garbage, and feces but what they received from the Municipality Office was that they could not help until the residents make this issue known to news reporters.

Mrs. Nongnuch Sinak, a 42 year old resident said at first they thought it was rotten seashells but later on the smell became unbearable and they made a complaint but received no feedback from the Office.

Another local resident, Mr. Pansawas OunKlang, said the smell caused so much trouble to everyone in the neighbourhood and he took photos of the truck that dumped all the garbage and showed them to the Municipality Office but in return the Officers said they will only take action if the matter went to reporters.

Thus all the residents are seeking help from reporters to liaise with the relevant parties.

Story and photos: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/comm ... rettyPhoto
Daniel

Re: I give up. Does this make ANY sense?

Post by Daniel »

I recall a conversation with Thai friends explaining that sometimes you need to go to the press and not the authorities, be it Police or local government. The reason was simple; the authorities take tea money not to interfere. They can only interfere, if wrongdoing is made public. It is then acceptable to interfere, as they must be seen to act.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daniel wrote:They can only interfere, if wrongdoing is made public.
That is actually plausible, but would they really admit that to these people? I wonder how the powers-that-be will respond, if they respond at all, that authorities are telling people they can't act unless there is publicity first.

What also makes my "I Don't Get It" list is why anyone would want to dump this kind of waste in a residential area in the first place. And why don't these people stop the truck themselves? I live in a Thai neighborhood. Knowing these people as I do, if a truck came along and started dumping waste around here, the driver and anyone with him would be extremely lucky to get out alive.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The fact that the authorities were reluctant to challenge the dumpers, might indicate that an organisation was behind it, which the local residents would rather not get involved with. That said, I gave up trying to apply ‘Western’ logic to Thai behaviour many years ago. I think we all have an ‘I don’t get it list’.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daniel wrote:I think we all have an ‘I don’t get it list’.
You're probably right. There's certainly plenty in Thailand to 'not get.'