Grindr and location

Anything and everything about Thailand
whitedesire

Grindr and location

Post by whitedesire »

A guy contacted me on grindr the other week, I was in KL he was in BKK. I thought how do they do that, Grindr doesn't have that facility, even as a member. Did some research, and ....

You can fake your GPS signal, Fake GPS, is one app. What it does, for instance, is if you are in KL or wherever, you can then fake it and say you are in BKK, even a specific area of BKK or anywhere in the world. You then update grindr and its as if you are in that location. Good for pre planning holiday hook ups.
christianpfc

Re: Grindr and location

Post by christianpfc »

Hornet has a feature "explore" where you can look for profiles around a place without beeing there, but they don't see your profile as nearby. On hornet you can now search for user names (like on gayromeo, wonder what took hornet that long). The user names are assigned as an arbitrary string of letters and number.
Alex

Post by Alex »

You can actually choose your Hornet user name, but it's optional, many users just keep the assigned user name.

As for faking a smartphone's location, that's nothing new. Travelers have reported doing that to look ahead for guys at their future destinations for years.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Faking locations may be nothing new, but it's still useful to share tips like this, as not everyone will have discovered it.

With something like Planet Romeo, faking a location on a phone app can give a much more precise location than an old fashioned search by region on their web based system.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Exactly Jun, I use my computer(s) a lot, and only just realised about "fake locations". Grindr is the best for this I think, well it does it for any of your apps that are open I think, but it makes people think "ooh", a very good tool for "planning". The guy who introduced me to it wouldn't tell me how it was done, just said he was "smart" or words to that effect. He was at Bangkok airport and faked his location to an exact hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

I thought to myself "how, how, how", anyway, plugged some words into google and "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

It's brilliant because I can now be anywhere in the world and see what's going on. It's good for deciding where you want to go to - like Brighton (lol). Singapore was very good.