How to know you received a PM

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

How to know you received a PM

Post by Gaybutton »

I think the notification that you received a PM has not been adequate. I have several PMs that I sent out days and weeks ago, and most of the recipients have been on the board several times, but the PMs are still sitting there unread.

I asked Moses for help again and he came through again. If you receive a PM, two things will happen:

1. An Email notifying you of a waiting PM will be sent to the Email address with which you registered. Some people register with an Email address they rarely use, meaning they might never know they received an Email. Also, the Email might be going right into your Spam box. If you add my Email address, [email protected] , to your contacts list, Email coming from this board will go to your Inbox rather than your Spam box.

2. At the top right of your screen there are "Notifications" and "Private Messages" boxes. I think people have been failing to notice those boxes. Ok, if you've received a Notification or Private Message (in most cases they will be one and the same) now, unless you're blind, you're going to notice it. Moses has tweaked it so that it will flash bright red. If it's a PM, both boxes will be flashing. If both boxes are flashing, click first on Private Messages. Once you've read your PMs and return to the board page, the flashing will have disappeared. If the Notification was to alert you to a PM, that flashing will have stopped too. If the Notification is still flashing, that means something other than a PM is waiting for you.
Trongpai

Re: How to know you received a PM

Post by Trongpai »

You have be be logged in to get the Notifications light. Many, I guess, only log in to post and then visit without logging in. I noticed the Notification function also alerts you to someone quoting your post and if someone clicks, "Like" and who liked it.

Quite nice, I like it. I should update all my devises to the auto log on feature, log in each time I visit.
Moses

Post by Moses »

Trongpai wrote: Quite nice, I like it. I should update all my devises to the auto log on feature, log in each time I visit.
I use LastPass application for that: it is secure enough, crypt passwords and allows to share passwords btw devices.
Local private gay guides and companions
[*] in South East Asia http://siamroads.com
[*] in Thailand http://bkktour.info/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:Many, I guess, only log in to post and then visit without logging in.
The board has a 'stay logged in' feature, so it's only necessary to log in just once. Just don't log out when you leave the board. If you clear out 'cookies,' you're also clearing out remaining logged in.

Whether you're logged in or not, you should still receive an Email if someone sends you a PM. Of course, if someone registers with an Email address he never checks or even a phony Email address, then he's not going to receive the Email.

I really don't care if anyone registered with an invalid Email address. I can understand why some may not want someone else to see where his Email is coming from, such as a boss or a wife. To me, the validity of people's Email address is a non-issue. However, if someone does not wish to log in, but does wish to be notified by Email of a waiting PM, then if he registered with an invalid Email address he would need to go to the User Control Panel and change his Email address to one where he'll actually receive the mail.

By the way, before anyone gets the bright idea of sending a PM to himself to test out the feature, that's not going to work. You won't receive an Email and the notifications won't flash.