New Cupidol Gogo boy bar in Boyztown..

Anything and everything about Thailand
catawampuscat

New Cupidol Gogo boy bar in Boyztown..

Post by catawampuscat »

We looked inside earlier this week at the new Cupidol. It looked almost ready to open and they were aiming for July 1st.
It looked big and roomy with a large center stage..
Oliver

Re: New Cupidol Gogo boy bar in Boyztown..

Post by Oliver »

Two weeks ago, I looked in at three BT go-go bars- yes, my boyfriend was sleeping at the time- and Cupidol had by far the best and biggest selection....at least for those of us who prefer twinks.
That particular premises , next to Panorama, must be haunted; how many businesses have come and gone since the restaurant, Amor, closed? Five? Six?
Perhaps Cupidol will break the mould. I've long wondered whether a bar similar to Sunee could survive in BT.
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

New Cupidol Gogo boy bar was open tonight July 1. The boys were wearing clothes and they hope to start Gogo on
July 4th.
Jun

Post by Jun »

catawampuscat wrote:The boys were wearing clothes
Not the best start for a gogo bar. They need to fix that.
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

Visited last night, 5th July. Around 30 go boys in their shorts.Enthusiastic and cute. Nice support staff. This new bar is very pleasant and welcoming. Comfortable seating and lighting. I had a very enjoyable evening in the bar and would highly recommend a visit.
No smoking allowed in the bar.
The majority of the gogo dancers in Cupidol appear to be gay/twink/fem types. So this "gay" bar is a great addition to Boys Town as the other gogo bars in that soi are boy bars with many straights.
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

Jogger wrote:Visited last night, 5th July. Around 30 go boys in their shorts.Enthusiastic and cute. Nice support staff. This new bar is very pleasant and welcoming. Comfortable seating and lighting. I had a very enjoyable evening in the bar and would highly recommend a visit.
No smoking allowed in the bar.
The majority of the gogo dancers in Cupidol appear to be gay/twink/fem types. So this "gay" bar is a great addition to Boys Town as the other gogo bars in that soi are boy bars with many straights.
I am confirming Jogger's report with a visit tonight. Over 30 boys and certainly the gayest go go bar in boyztown.
The no tobacco smoking policy adheres to the no smoking policy on the entire soi for all four boy go go bars.
Cupidol boys was full of customers and almost all were farang. It was a rainy night, so a full house very impressive.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I hope it lasts and I hope whoever owns it is smart enough to do things besides displaying boys and nothing more. If that's all it's going to be, I hate to even think it, but I'd say it's already doomed. New bars, with "new" boys always attracts crowds - at first.

The history of the bar scene lately is the crowds eventually fizzle out. Most of us know what happened at Sunny Boys in Sunee Plaza. At first you were lucky to even get a seat. A year later you could often go in and maybe three or four customers were there. Now all anyone can do with Sunny Boys is to remember it.

I'm convinced the reason for that was the typical reason so many go-go bars ended up in failure. The owners did nothing innovative to make their bars fun places to be. Sooner or later the "newness" wears off and the customer numbers start to go down until the bar is no longer able to sustain itself and finally closes. We've all seen that happen time and time again.

I hope that doesn't happen at the new Cupidol bar. I hope the owners realize that it's going to take a lot more than simply displaying boys to maintain the customer numbers over the long term.

I haven't been there myself yet to check it out. I'm sorry to be coming across so negatively without even having been there, but I've seen the pattern so many times I've come to expect it. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised.
neddy3

Post by neddy3 »

Yet Toy Boys does nothing more than display its go-go boys, and they have been there for 20 years.
A-Bomb does nothing more than display its go-go boys, and has been there a long time.
Funny Boys ditto.

So get some factors right, and a go-go bar can survive.

The failure of Sunny Boys was not related to the initial way it was run as a go-go bar.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

neddy3 wrote:So get some factors right, and a go-go bar can survive.
You mentioned three - out of how many others that did eventually fail? I believe if the bars you mentioned would do more to attract customers, their customer numbers would increase too.

I also am well aware of what really happened to Sunny Boys (and folks, don't ask me to elaborate. I won't and I'm not going to permit anyone else to elaborate either), but I'm right about what happened to the customer numbers, and that was a major factor in the eventual failure.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and I hope Cupidol does just fine and continues to do just fine for many years. I hope all the bars do. But if all a bar is going to do is display boys, I'm considering the odds based on what I've seen so many times over the years - new bar starts off with a packed house, customer numbers start dropping, and all the owner does about it is end up hanging out a "For Sale" sign.

I stand by what I have been saying for many years about the "fun factor." I absolutely believe if the go-go bars that failed had done more to attract customers, every one of the failed bars might very well still be open and thriving.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Perhaps the Boyztown and Soi Twilight bars get more new customers than the Sunee bars.
New customers will be happy to look at boys lined up in underwear. If they are cute & available, even I am happy with such a bar format for my short annual holidays. The novelty might wear off for permanent residents.
Obviously adding in some fun does improve the experience & the increases probability of the bar surviving. But it does not seem to be mandatory.

As for bar closures, well it would be very interesting to see what proportion of income has been paid out to the boys in brown. That may well be a big factor.