Pattaya's U-Tapao Airport - upgrade progress

Anything and everything about Thailand
Bucknaway

Re: Pattaya's U-Tapao Airport - upgrade progress

Post by Bucknaway »

Thanks for that estimate, that is a help. I hate mini vans when going to my hotel, seems I'm always the last stop. But this time could be an opportunity to see parts of Pattaya I never imagined seeing.
deanagam

Post by deanagam »

The Airport Limousine company which I believe has the monopoly of public transport from Utapao Airport to points elsewhere will take passengers by SUVs and minibuses to Pattaya and Rayong and vice versa. I've regularly used their minibuses to get to hotels in Pattaya and arranged for hotel pickups to the airport for 250b one way. Lately I've been making bookings via the LINE app, paying directly to the driver. Efficient and convenient. Since my hotels are in Jomtian, I got dropped off early, and picked up later than other passengers.
I've even taken a minibus to Ban Phe(to get to Koh Samet), paying a surcharge of 50b over the 250b regular fare to Rayong with the driver taking me to the nearest hotel near the jetty.
Before this monopoly, three or four different companies competed for passengers but somehow the waiting time was shorter. Unfortunately this monopoly allows for the company to push the potential customers to take the SUVs for 1000b. I still get to Jomtian in less than one hour by minibus for 250b.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Last time I used Utapao, I was one of the last to board the minibus and it left within less than 5 minutes.

For cost sensitive customers, as long as you get to Pattaya in time to enjoy your planned afternoon or evening activities, losing 20~40 minutes on a mini-bus is not a big deal.
Most of us would be arriving there from a short haul flight, so should be reasonably fresh & capable of standing a short minibus journey. Also, whatever option you take should be way better than traveling down from DMK.

For those who fly first class & stay in the Hilton, I suppose a taxi makes sense.