Bangkok: Some Observations

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Bangkok: Some Observations

Post by Undaunted »

My last trip to BKK was in Jan. now I am here again for 2 days have made the following observations:

1) Billoards advertising new condos everywhere, I am staying in Sathorn new condo developments in this area begin at half a million U.S. dollars.
2) BKK is the home of the Thai uber-rich...never have I seen so many luxury cars in a city this size. The contrast between rich and poor is overwhelming.
3) Euopean and American tourists are not coming here as they did in the past..as reflected by comments of taxi drivers and bar staff in Soi Twilight, as well as staff in my hotel, when asked why most replied BKK has become very expensive and the current political climate here.
4) Gay bars are now staffed with are large percent of Burmesse, Vietnamese and Cambodians.
5) Go Go bars appear to have formed a cartel as all display signs "all drinks 400bht"...Last trip a were 300bht......Go Go bars mostly devoid of customers, beer bars in Soi twilight ok customers, Soi 4 bars Telephone and balcony full of customers.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Bangkok: Some Observations

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:5) Go Go bars appear to have formed a cartel as all display signs "all drinks 400bht"...Last trip a were 300bht......Go Go bars mostly devoid of customers
At those prices I can understand why. At current exchange rates that's more than US $11.50 per drink. Buy 1 drink for yourself and 1 "drink for boy," now you're already up to US $23. If you have more drinks and/or off a boy, by the time you're done, along with tipping the boy and paying for his taxi back to the bar or wherever, you're lucky if you end up spending anything less than US $150. Not me.

It is irrelevant to compare Thai prices to the prices in other countries, as some people do. I'm not interested in what it would cost me in Albania. I'm only interested in what it costs me in Thailand. For Thailand, that's very expensive.

I can't speak for others, but when I can go to a go go bar in Pattaya and get the same drink for 140 baht - US $4 - don't look for me in a Bangkok go go bar paying 3 times the price.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I went in for a routine eye exam in PTY last holiday and was informed that I had a small macular hole in the retina of my right eye. ..too much fun! I elected to have the surgery to fix this at a hospital in BKK which was highly recommended (Rutnin Eye Hospital), resulting in me spending more time in BKK than ever before...5 trips (2 or 3 days each). I stayed at Tarntawan Hotel and never saw the place so empty before. The TOT keep reporting data showing continual upward trends in tourism which is hard to figure.

Soi Twilight was pretty much a ghost town compared to days gone by...the Vietnamese boys at Scorpion Bar had vanished...and the one gogo bar my better half and I stopped in charged 350 bt/drink in exchange for one of the worst excuses for a "show" that I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing, i.e. 5 pot-bellied guys who looked like off duty song teaw drivers pretending to be fu*king each other while 3 well over-the-hill ladyboys danced around twirling balloons. Silom seemed to be drawing the most customers and I enjoyed visiting "Connections Beer Bar" the most. Very friendly and attentive staff, reasonable drink prices with nightly specials, i.e. 70 baht Leo or Chiang beer, etc., and always full with smiling customers. Connections sits right next to Telephone Pub for those who never had the opportunity to visit.

The doorman at Tarntawan felt that the biggest reason for the downturn in customers was attributed to the political climate...doormen know everything.

Some things never change: The traffic is still horrendous...the vendors at Patpong night market are still the most obnoxious...and the prices for everything are way over the top for LOS. I couldn't wait to get back to PTY.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Dodger wrote:
The doorman at Tarntawan felt that the biggest reason for the downturn in customers was attributed to the political climate...doormen know everything.
I find this hard to believe. The political climate only plays a role for me when the risk of being imprisoned for gay sex is high or when the risk of being kidnapped is high (that's why I never have been to Afghanistan for example).

I truly do not believe western tourists visit less because Thailand is not a democracy. I think for many people the reason is financial. Most people really don't care about the political climate for the locals. Never stopped Western tourists from visiting China or Russia or Egypt (none are Democracy heavens).

Tourism to Egypt only hit a low when the risk of terrorism was high, so when the visitor himself was at risk. People don't in general care that much about how the political climate effects the locals. Else everyone would only visit democracies.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thaifarang, you seem to be a bit naive concerning the political climate here.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

windwalker wrote:thaifarang, you seem to be a bit naive concerning the political climate here.
Then englighten me please. I don't live in Thailand but visit two or three times each year for one week per visit and I didn't experience anything negative so far. I mean I know it is not a democracy but as a tourist you not really notice it. You do your stuff and you return.

I truly think the political climate is not the reason tourists visit less. It didn't stop them from going to Egypt's beaches under Mubarak. Or to visit Moskow. Or China.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I wouldn't expect the political climate to have any effect at all on the type of tourist who frequents gogo bars.
There are very few other places to go with such bars & Thailand is relatively secure & safe. Thailand has had military governments before.

Perhaps the nonsense about stopping beach chairs etc would discourage a few repeat visitors to places like Phuket, but I cannot see much reason for that to stop people going to Bangkok.

Alternative theory:
1 Soi Twilight is not busy due to high prices & competition from the phone apps. Also competition from Pattaya, where visiting a gogo bar is much cheaper.
2 Tartawan is not busy as people are staying in other hotels. I've read quite a few reports saying the place needs updating. Since I've always stayed elsewhere, I cannot claim expertise here, although the alternatives always look more tempting on the booking sites.

The Tartawan doormen might know everything, but I suppose they only speak to the people who actually go to Thailand, not the ones staying at home.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote:Thailand has had military governments before.

Yes it has and I agree the casual visitor is generally unaware and could care less however, those that live here will find it difficult not to see the subtle and not so subtle changes implemented by the Junta.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Undaunted wrote:My last trip to BKK was in Jan. now I am here again for 2 days have made the following observations:
1) Billoards advertising new condos everywhere, I am staying in Sathorn new condo developments in this area begin at half a million U.S. dollars.
2) BKK is the home of the Thai uber-rich...
More lovely land coming soon if this report is true.
Land plots in bustling prime locations remain appealing, with the British embassy expected to shed its 23-rai property on Wireless Road for more than 18 billion baht.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... t-at-b18bn
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thaifarang wrote:
windwalker wrote:thaifarang, you seem to be a bit naive concerning the political climate here.
Then englighten me please. I don't live in Thailand but visit two or three times each year for one week per visit and I didn't experience anything negative so far. .
thaifarang, since you only visit one week at a time then you may not be aware of the political situation. But if interested you could do some on-line research for enlightenment.