Bangkok: Some Observations

Anything and everything about Thailand
Oliver

Re: Bangkok: Some Observations

Post by Oliver »

Bangkok, Pattaya and the areas that most tourists frequent are not typical of Thailand. My boyfriend in Kamphaeng Phaet tells a different story and one which may surprise and disturb falangs lounging on the beaches or visiting temples in Bangkok.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:My boyfriend in Kamphaeng Phaet tells a different story and one which may surprise and disturb falangs lounging on the beaches or visiting temples in Bangkok.
Are we supposed to guess what that different story is? If you have something to tell us, then tell us. When we read it I think most of us are capable of deciding for ourselves how much it surprises and disturbs us.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Considering your policies with regards to discussing Thailand's political situation, my dear Gaybutton, my guess would be that YES, we are supposed to guess what Oliver would like to tell us. We cannot discuss it on your board in any meaningful way, and I don't blame you, it IS very problematic.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

BETER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY! Yes this speaks to the current climate.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:Considering your policies with regards to discussing Thailand's political situation, my dear Gaybutton, my guess would be that YES, we are supposed to guess what Oliver would like to tell us.
Did I miss something? I don't see anything in his post that even hints what he would tell us would have anything to do with Thai politics - my dear Alex.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I was merely respecting the delicate position of the moderator as a resident in Thailand. The reference was to the economic conditions in the north and how they have declined in the past few months and why that may be.
It was anecdotal and hardly worth the angst that may (or has already) ensued.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Oliver's post seems clear enough to me, hints of unrest in the hinterlands.
pong

Post by pong »

as for me, a very regular and long-time visitor in the cool times (both in EUR/winter-and in TH): in fact the junta, or whatever one wishes to name it, has IMPROVED the general situation -at least for me, as I dont stay in the Silom tourist-ghetto and have seen too much of the red fury doing its rebellions-from just aside. And also witnessed much of the so-called Bangkok shutdown.
In those other areas tourist nrs are NOT down at all and new hotels, guesthouses, placestostay etc multiply every year-I try to roughly keep track of it-new places often have very good intro-deals- but thats simply impossible.
If one has followed this forum-or the other ones, it is well known that the lads from old French Indochina now indeed make out a sizeable portion of the available crew. And one gets disappointed if one actually visits Camb/Khmer: there the better more skillful boys have left!
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Just a short observation regarding this topic, and regarding one particular establishment: the Pinnacle Lumphini Hotel.

For years we have been coming to Bangkok (for a variety of different reasons ... shopping, carousing, to see friends, gay bar visiting, Embassy business etc etc). And also for years we've bedded down at the Pinnacle most of the time. The Pinnacle is certainly no 4-star digs but I like the location, I like the 'pretty-good' breakfast buffet, I like the price, and I like the fact that it has been, over the years, an hotel who's clientele has been gay by a pretty good percentage.
One counted gay folks at breakfast and for years the percentage of obviously gay customers was in the area of at least 50%, sometimes more.
No longer.The last two times I have stayed there very recently (once with my guy, once alone) we were the Only Gays in the Village. And in fact, for about the last 2 years I have noticed this creeping paucity of gay clientele.
Now ... lots of Russians, lots of Chinese, lots more 'groups', and a not-so-small number of customers who seem to think picking one's nose at breakfast is de rigour.

We will not stop using the Pinnacle as our regular hotel because of this trend, as frankly I couldn't care less whether the joint was stuffed to the rafters with gay dudes, or not. But this small anecdotal observation of one place seems to be just one more acknowledgement that the starting post in this thread is probably correct.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I was a fan of the Pinnacle for years but it became a real chore having to deal with Jimmy so I now use The Malaysia Hotel .... Now being renovated. Pool, reasonable 24hr restaurant, working guys hangout..largely gay clientel. http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"