Owning a Car in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Owning a Car in Thailand

Post by Dodger »

I plan to buy a car (actually a Jeep) in the near future as part of my pre-retirement planning and have a few questions:

I already have an A-O retirement visa, established Thai bank account, own a condo, and have maintained ownership of a motorbike for several years so I know that I qualify to buy a car - but in the dark about a few things:

I plan to buy a used vehicle for sale by owner only - not new or used from car dealer)

1) How does one ensure that the title is clear for transfer before making the purchase?

2) Where does one go to get license plates.

3) How much do plates cost and how often do they have to get renewed?

4) Roughly - How much does car insurance cost for liability and collision coverage?

5) Are there any reputable auto repair facilities in PTY?

6) In the U.S. I carry AAA with towing service and I have phone number to call in the event my car breaks down on the road. What do you do if your car breaks down 100 miles from your place of residence in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer.
Gaybutton

Re: Owning a Car in Thailand

Post by Gaybutton »

I can answer a few of your questions:

The only way I know of to make sure the title is clear would be to do everything through an attorney.

You get license plates at the same place where you get the driving license. You'll probably have to get the car inspected too. There are inspection stations along Sukhumvit in Pattaya and there is one at the driving license office too.

Make sure you get the first class insurance. This year my insurance was about 12,800 baht - full coverage, zero deductible. That is standard for Thai car insurance. Make sure you find an insurance company willing to provide insurance for the vehicle you're buying before you buy it.

Most auto repair places are perfectly reputable. Ask the seller where he takes the car when he needs a repair. Not everywhere is going to have parts for a Jeep. If parts have to be ordered, it could take weeks, even months, before the part finally arrives. If you're going to buy a car, why on earth would you buy a Jeep instead of a standard car?

I have no idea how much license plates cost, but you never have to renew the plates as long as you own the car. You renew the road tax sticker every year.

If you break down somewhere and/or need a tow, call the insurance company. They'll tell you who to call. If for some reason you can't contact the insurance company, call the police. They also can tell you who to call.

Before I would buy a car from an individual, I would want to drive the car for two or three weeks before committing to anything, even if I have to rent the car from the owner. That's to make sure there are no problems. Once you've bought a car from an individual, if anything serious is wrong with it, now you're stuck - you would have no recourse. I would also have a qualified mechanic of my choosing check the car.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger, check your PM box.
We know each other fairly well I just need to ask you after knowing everything you know about Thailand shouldn't you keep your retirement options open you can always rent the Bang Sarey place or maybe sell it? You are much younger than most retired people here you've still got options!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:You are much younger than most retired people here you've still got options!
If your post has anything to do with owning a car in Thailand, I missed it.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

- Many ex-pats buy their Class A car insurance through AA Insurance, in the alley to the right of Big C South Pattaya.

- When you buy a used car you get the plates unless they are scenic/vanity plates and the seller chooses to keep them. In that case, you will need new ones from Land Transport.

- That's fair warning about buying a Jeep. I understand the appeal but it's extremely impractical.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

1.The car owner will have the blue book in his possession (or the finance company)
2.license plates come with the car, it is the registration and compulsory insurance that must be renewed annually.
3. See 2
4. Compulsory insurance is 640 baht per year. The existing insurance policy can be transferred to you for the remainder of the year. See an agent,for a quotation.
5. Yes, MG, opposite King Power on Sukumvit.
6. Emergency service is available and cheap, and included in my policy with AXA insurance.

Best to buy new as used cars are expensive here and there is no warranty (buyer beware). I have bought 2 new cars here and sold two cars here. See Jack Levy or Neng (my agent) in the Pattaya People office.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

If it has to be a used car, one good choice might be Toyota Sure. www.toyotasure.com

If buying from a private seller, I wouldn't go so far as to hire a lawyer. Just make sure the seller goes to Land Transport with you to sign it over. Keep a copy of the seller's ID card/passport and their photo taken by the car. Write up a one-paragraph contract that says: This is legally my car, I sell it to you for this amount. Have a witness sign it. Such a contract seems laughably simple but it means a lot here. Thailand does not have common law (aka case law) so transactions between individuals must be covered by contracts.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Thank you all for the valuable information:

mahjongguy wrote:
- That's fair warning about buying a Jeep. I understand the appeal but it's extremely impractical.
I was surprised to hear this because I have always felt that a Jeep was one of the most practical vehicles to have over here considering the road conditions, i.e. constant floods, mud, washed out roads, endless potholes, steep mountains between PTY and Isaan, etc. I want more of a tool than a car.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:I was surprised to hear this because I have always felt that a Jeep was one of the most practical vehicles to have over here
Then you may be one of the few people in Thailand who feels that way. I don't recall ever having even seen a Jeep in Thailand. If you have any problems with it, where are you going to get it repaired? Where would you get parts? The types of terrain you're talking about are going to be way out in the boondocks, where it will be exponentially more difficult to get anything more than a tow, if you can even get that. Tow trucks might not be so willing to rescue you from wherever you got stuck or broke down.

If you're looking for a vehicle capable of handing those constant floods, mud, washed out roads, endless potholes, and steep mountains, why not get something that at least would be easy to maintain and repair, along with insuring? If you're really planning to do a lot of driving on the terrain you describe, if it were me, I'd be looking for a 4-wheel drive pickup truck instead of a Jeep. And you better make sure, whether it's a Jeep or anything else, your insurance will cover you for damage occurring on that type of terrain.

I can't help the feeling if you buy this jeep, you're also buying a big pack of trouble - and expense. I would seriously rethink this idea.

How often do you drive through floods, washed out roads and steep mountains in the first place? If you're planning a trip, instead of buying a Jeep you might be much better off making him a good rental offer instead - one he would be unlikely to turn down.

By the way, do you have a Thai driving license for cars? If you don't, you better get one before even thinking about driving a Jeep or any other kind of car.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The driving conditions you describe are exactly why so many people here own a Toyota Fortuner or a Honda CRV.