Owning a Car in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Owning a Car in Thailand

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:How often do you drive through floods, washed out roads and steep mountains in the first place? If you're planning a trip, instead of buying a Jeep you might be much better off making him a good rental offer instead - one he would be unlikely to turn down.

By the way, do you have a Thai driving license for cars?
I think I will will be driving in the road conditions mentioned above fairly frequently.

There are two residents in my building in Bang Saray who own Jeeps ( one America - one Swedish guy). The American guy says it's the only way to fly. Plus, I've owned two Jeeps in the past and have a knack for mechanics and will enjoy doing the maintenance myself when I'm retired and looking for ways to keep myself busy.

Yes, I have had a Thai car drivers license for many years and have rented vehicles many times for trips up to Isaan (usually pick up trucks). The driving conditions up there, especially if you're navigating in-and-around remote villages where most of the boys we know call home, a Jeep or other form of 4 wheel drive vehicle is by far the most practical the way I see it.

What I've learned from this feedback:

Type up a Letter of Sale for the seller to sign ahead of time confirming the details of the sale.
Make sure the seller has a "Blue Book"
Go with seller to Land Office to seal the deal.
Pick up Class A insurance (as you suggested)

Thanks again for the information...much appreciated.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Doger you seem hell bent on a jeep, it appears to be an intricate part of your retirement dreams. May I suggest an alternative, look at bigger automatic motor bikes such as a Honda Forza 300.....There is a huge amount of under the seat storage and can easily be fitted with add on storage it is oh so comfortable for driver and passanger and handles Pattaya traffic much better than a car. When going on trips to Nakhon Nowhere why not rent a jeep for those infrequent trips?

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&sourc ... ic1_W5uFKg
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote:If you're looking for a vehicle capable of handing those constant floods, mud, washed out roads, endless potholes, and steep mountains, why not get something that at least would be easy to maintain and repair, along with insuring? If you're really planning to do a lot of driving on the terrain you describe, if it were me, I'd be looking for a 4-wheel drive pickup truck instead of a Jeep. And you better make sure, whether it's a Jeep or anything else, your insurance will cover you for damage occurring on that type of terrain..
In my trips to Issan area, I have not seen anyone driving a jeep - but as GB mentions, I have seen many 4 wheel drive pickups (both single and double cabs) - most have an extension on their tail pipe that goes up the side of the pick up and is vented at the top -- for use in high water to keep the engine from stalling out.

As to used cars -- consider the advice given -- if buying from a Thai, it is my understanding many don't do regular maintenance service (I need to have my vehicle serviced this month and the bf suggested skipping it as he thought it was a waste of money since there was nothing wrong - I tried to explain preventative maintenance, but not sure it got through to him) -- any older used vehicle will most likely have problems - later models are generally sold at not much less than the cost of a new one - with a new vehicle, you have a warranty and most likely the first year of first class insurance (my 8 year old Honda Civic didn't, but my 4 year old Mitsubishi Triton did and it is my understanding all dealers are including the first year of insurance). If you don't have any claims, most insurance companies lower the premium each year (they also reduce the total coverage, which, by the way is around 80% of the value - you can confirm that with an insurance broker) - the Pattaya City Expats Club lists 3 on their Expat recommended businesses page of their website - http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/ex ... umbers.pdf. They also have a section on vehicles and driving in Thailand at http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/ex ... icles.html.

If getting a used vehicle, if the owner has first class insurance, it should be good for the next owner until its expiration date as vehicle insurance goes with the vehicle, not the driver - you may want to confirm that with the Insurance carrier. Also, be sure your first class insurance includes bail bond coverage of 200,000 baht - if you have an accident that causes injury and police consider your fault, bail is usually 200,000 for a farang and 100,000 for a Thai (dual pricing again, damn!).
Alex

Post by Alex »

Let's say a road, any road, is badly flooded. Whether you have a suitable car or not doesn't make much of a difference, because the road will be blocked by unsuitable cars whose drivers attempted to brave it - and failed - before you. That didn't happen ten years ago, but it does happen now, with all these cute little eco cars that can be found even in the most remote village. I once had to help moving three or four of these out of our way before we could pass...
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I'm starting to think that maybe getting a Jeep is a stupid idea.

I pointed out a passing Jeep to my shy and somewhat bitchy Thai partner last holiday and said..."see, see...that's a Jeep...that's what I want". He had a funny look on his face. I asked him what was wrong...and he said "I think that thing looks stupid" I said, yes, I know it's not too sporty looking but it's strong and can go straight up mountains even during floods without getting stuck". He just gave me the same look again..:lol:
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger, read post number 12!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Undaunted wrote:Dodger, read post number 12!
Motorbikes, big or small, are not for everybody. Personally I think they are an accident waiting to happen. Just about any Thai who drives one can show you accident scars or stories to share. The reason for high death rate and injuries on Thai roads is motorbikes. Now add our ages into the equation and to me it doesn't make sense. I like driving my car in the rain here as there are few mb's on the road.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Up2u wrote:
Motorbikes, big or small, are not for everybody. Personally I think they are an accident waiting to happen. Just about any Thai who drives one can show you accident scars or stories to share. The reason for high death rate and injuries on Thai roads is motorbikes. Now add our ages into the equation and to me it doesn't make sense. I like driving my car in the rain here as there are few mb's on the road.
Dodger is younger than most retirees.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Undaunted wrote:
Up2u wrote:
Dodger is younger than most retirees.
I thought he was 60+, I know you don't see many old men riding motorbikes in America.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Up2u wrote: I thought he was 60+, I know you don't see many old men riding motorbikes in America.
First, Dodger is a friend of mine he is not 60+ and he currently drives a motorbike, second, it is true in the U.S. you seldom see anyone 60+ riding a motorbike, lastly, and perhaps most important, In Pattaya you do see many 60+ guys riding motorbikes, I am one of them!