Gov’t Approves 10-Year Visas for Foreigners Over 50

Anything and everything about Thailand
thaiworthy

Gov’t Approves 10-Year Visas for Foreigners Over 50

Post by thaiworthy »

BANGKOK — Affluent foreign residents over 50 will soon be able to apply for 10-year visas, a government spokesman said Tuesday.

Intended to promote Thailand as a hub for medical services, the policy was approved by the interim cabinet on Tuesday, according to spokesman Athisit Chainuwat.

It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented.

Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage.

Visa holders will still have to check in every 90 days with the Bureau of Immigration, Athisit said.

Applicants for the visa are expected to be foreigners who live in provinces such as Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and Chonburi, the spokesman added.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/busi ... igners-50/
Undaunted

Re: Gov’t Approves 10-Year Visas for Foreigners Over 50

Post by Undaunted »

Like most things in L.O.S. seeing is believing.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

If you are an American, the medical insurance requirement could be a challenge.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

khaosodenglish wrote:It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented.
Other than this article, I have seen no other recent publicity about this. I certainly hope it's true. I'm not sure what is meant by "two installments of five years each," but if those of us eligible only have to go through the process once ever 5 years or 10 years or whatever, it for sure beats having to go through it every year.

If they do implement this, and it's high time they do, I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of publicity and instructions about how to apply for the visa.

I have a feeling I know exactly when they'll implement it - the day after I renew my 1-year visa . . .

While they're at it, wouldn't it be nice if they change the 90-day address report to either a working system by which you can report online or do away with it altogether and have to report only a change of address? If they do that, not only would it eliminate the hassle, but you no longer would have to worry about being in your reporting province when it's time to submit the report. I don't know why they won't let people report their address at any of the country's immigration offices, closest to where you happen to be - people do travel when it's address report time - but that's how it's done.

Up2u wrote:If you are an American, the medical insurance requirement could be a challenge.
Why? I carry medical insurance valid for Thailand - and it covers a hell of a lot more than US $10,000 annually. Mine covers US $1,000,000 annually. I would have thought most Americans living long term in Thailand would also have medical insurance that covers them in Thailand. What's the problem?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I too have a health insurance in Thailand but it might surprise you how many Americans don't, and many say well if something happens I am covered by Medicare and will go home.........This is stupid, to say the least, what if they need urgent care NOW and it can't wait? Not only Americans think this way many Brits and Canadians say they will go home to their N.H.S.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:what if they need urgent care NOW and it can't wait?
Or if they are in no condition to travel, especially long haul travel. Some might not even be in condition to get to the airport, much less check in, go through security, go through immigration, and make it to the plane - then wait for luggage, clear customs, and all the rigmarole at the destination airport. And it can really be fun if you have to change planes along the way.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton wrote:Other than this article, I have seen no other recent publicity about this. I certainly hope it's true.
I do see more publicity now. Here 'tiz:

10-year visa for senior tourists

22 Nov 2016

The cabinet on Tuesday extended to 10 years from one the long-stay visa for foreigners aged 50 or more but they must report to immigration police every 90 days.

The visa will be valid initially for five years and could be renewed for another five, Col Apisit Chaiyanuwat, vice minister at the Prime Minister's Office, said.

The visa fee was set at 10,000 baht, he added.

Apart from the age requirement, the visa requires eligible foreigners to have a monthly income of at least 100,000 baht or a bank deposit of at least 3 million baht, to be maintained for at least one year after receiving the visa.

Besides, they must have health insurance coverage for at least US$1,000 for outpatient care and $10,000 or more for inpatient care per policy per year. They will also be required to report to immigration police every 90 days.

The revised rule aimed to promote medical and wellness tourism in line with the government's policy.

The target groups for the visa are long-stay visitors from Australia, Canada, China, England, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Taiwan and the United States, Col Apisit said.

The visitors usually stay in tourist provinces like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chon Buri and other famous seaside provinces, he said.

Also on Tuesday, the cabinet resolved to temporarily waive for three months the 1,000-baht visa fee and to halve the 2,000-baht visa-upon-arrival fee for tourists from 19 countries from Dec 1 to Feb 28 to woo visitors.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... r-tourists
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

It looks like Thailand wants to offer a retirement option that is similar in some ways to Malaysia. I also look forward to hearing the details, hoping that there is something worthwhile in it.

90 day reporting works fairly well, but there is one notable exception: your report will fail if your last entry to Thailand was more than about three years ago. That's a common situation, myself included.
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

So will it replace the current situation for retirees, or is it in addition to it?
Mention is made of "monthly salary of 100,000 baht", so do u think it will include people with income @ that amount(eg retired but with 100,000+ baht investment income per month )?

And GB by the way u mention a working system of 90 day on line reporting; well they already have that and I have done it successful online here in Pattaya for over 1 year.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jogger wrote:So will it replace the current situation for retirees, or is it in addition to it?
Mention is made of "monthly salary of 100,000 baht", so do u think it will include people with income @ that amount(eg retired but with 100,000+ baht investment income per month )?

And GB by the way u mention a working system of 90 day on line reporting; well they already have that and I have done it successful online here in Pattaya for over 1 year.
As this report has not been validated, I can only observe that it is intended to be an adjunct to what already exists.

You say that you have been doing your 90 day reporting online can you say how this is done?