Gov’t Approves 10-Year Visas for Foreigners Over 50

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jogger

Re: Gov’t Approves 10-Year Visas for Foreigners Over 50

Post by Jogger »

Thank u undaunted.

For 90 day report on line see:
https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90 ... 7Action.do

And if u go to Thai Visa there are over 100 pages of postings as to how to do the 90 day on line reporting:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/812 ... april-1st/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:your report will fail if your last entry to Thailand was more than about three years ago.
What happens? Do you know why it fails?
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Gaybutton wrote:
mahjongguy wrote:your report will fail if your last entry to Thailand was more than about three years ago.
What happens? Do you know why it fails?
If you have not entered Thailand since sometime in 2013 then your info will not be properly entered into the national database that was created to support 90 day online reporting.

The reporting website won't tell you that, it will just say you should report at Immigration or by mail.

The only fix is to go out and re-enter.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:The only fix is to go out and re-enter.
Oh well . . . I'm not planning to go anyplace, so I guess at least for me it's still go to immigration and let them scan the bar code.

I wonder why they don't fix that. For a qualified computer programming guru, how hard can it be?

However, going to immigration in Pattaya for address reporting is usually quick and easy. Small price to pay if we can start getting 10-year visas.

I understand that going to immigration in Chiang Mai is a different story - a major pain-in-the-ass. Has Chiang Mai immigration done anything to make it easier?

I have no idea what it's like going to immigration in Bangkok.

Maybe someone living in Chiang Mai and someone living in Bangkok can tell us.

The monthly income requirement is easy for Americans. The US embassy still just takes your word for it when getting the proof-of-income statement. There are more than a few Americans living in Thailand on retirement visas obtained by lying to the embassy about their monthly income. Of course, if their income is less than Thailand's minimum requirement, my guess is they won't be able to provide proof of medical insurance, so they'll probably have to continue lying every year.

If Thailand ever starts requiring more solid evidence of monthly income and/or the US embassy ever starts requiring actual proof, there will be a number of Americans who find themselves up a certain creek without merely the paddle, but also without even the boat . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I've read the link Jogger posted from the Bangkok Post but I don't know when the new ruling takes effect, like to know when anyone actually gets the new visa. F.Y.I. the Thai Visa Forum has locked this topic.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The topic was locked on the Immigration forum because it was already running hard and fast on their News forum. Currently 44 pages and counting.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/955 ... A0/?page=1

To save you a lot of reading, nobody knows nothin' yet.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have some additional questions, along with when this will take effect. Of course, if anyone is going to immigration any time soon, I suppose you could ask and let us know what they tell you, but sometimes immigration officials get things wrong, so unless it is already in effect I wouldn't rely too heavily on what they tell you.

Also, since eligibility for the visa requires medical insurance. I wonder what documents, and how many copies, will be required. Why do I have a feeling that whatever proof of insurance they want will be treated the same way so many other documents are treated - the officer simply putting the documents in a pile without so much as casting a glance? Kind of like that personal information document they recently started requiring. They didn't even look at mine. I could have handed them a blank sheet of paper.

It's a 10 year visa, but has to be renewed after 5 years. What will be required to renew? And if it's a 10 year visa, then why does it have to be renewed at all after 5 years? Which is it - 10 years or 5 years?

And already there is something on my "I Don't Get It" list. The visa is being made available to people Thailand considers affluent. And the affluent people are the ones who have to prove they meet the medical insurance requirement. Who is more likely to have good medical insurance - affluent people or people who will be continuing to live on the one-year retirement visa? And yet I see no proof of insurance requirement mentioned for those who will continue to live on the one-year visa. Is it just me, or does that seem a little strange to some of you too?
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

I agree with mahjongguy "nobody knows nothing yet"
Though this article seem to explain it better:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/23/r ... ry-90-days

Unknown of course when it takes effect.

Seems to be aimed at higher earners to make the visa process easier.
My bet it will have no effect on those wanting or getting the 1 year retirement visa/extension etc.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jogger wrote:Though this article seem to explain it better
I don't see anything different in that article than has already been published.

I'm still waiting to understand what happens at 5 years with a 10-year visa.