Gov’t Approves 10-Year Visas for Foreigners Over 50

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Gov’t Approves 10-Year Visas for Foreigners Over 50

Post by Undaunted »

When I hear of the first person getting this 5-10 year visa I will believe it! I am reminded of something funny, last year I had to renew my passport, I am 65, upon applying for a new one the embassy person asked me which option would I like the 10yr. or the 25yr. I just laughed.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Noted that the 65,000 Thai baht monthly requirement for the so called retirement visa has not changed for at least 10+ years.... maybe the Thai government feels that 100,000 Thai baht monthly is OK for the issuance of the retirement visa...hmmmmm.

Might they grandfather in those currently on the 65,000 Thb...???
And all new applications require the 100,000 monthly?

The health insurance required $10,000 minimum us too low to have any real effect. And the preexisting conditions exclusions found in most policies will also be a problem for many... and the Thai government too.

Tj
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote:When I hear of the first person getting this 5-10 year visa I will believe it! I am reminded of something funny, last year I had to renew my passport, I am 65, upon applying for a new one the embassy person asked me which option would I like the 10yr. or the 25yr. I just laughed.

If you are in good health, the probability of outliving your 10 year passport is high enough to make the 25 year one attractive, assuming the price is reasonable.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I take it that was a joke? I'm not aware of any country that issues passports that are valid longer than 10 years.
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

Most People even not get 100000 baht/month with working and really not with pension.
Alex

Post by Alex »

atri1666 wrote:Most People even not get 100000 baht/month with working and really not with pension.
True, but keep in mind that they didn't claim that this visa is intended for "most people". That said, I will reserve judgment until all the details will be known.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

When an acquaintance emailed me about it, I replied the "devil will be in the details." It is somewhat like laws made in USA, they leave the details up to the Department/Agency that is tasked to implement the law. But, reading the the recent Khaosod article (http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/busi ... reactions/), based on their citing the "notes" from the Cabinet meeting, I'm not sure it will even apply to those of us who came here on an original visa (Non-Immigrant "O" or "O-A") receiving a 90 day or one year "permission to stay" and then extending the stay for one year on an annual basis "for purpose of retirement."

I know, there has been a lot said that calling the annual event as being "retirement visa extensions" instead of "permission to stay extensions" is just hairsplitting. But, in this recent 10 year visa announcement, I think the distinction may turn out to be very important. Based on the "Cabinet Notes" mentioned in the article, gives me my basis for making the following supposition on what is most likely to happen.

First, let's consider that there are two Ministries involved - the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which has authority over the issuance of Visas at Thai Embassies and Consulates - the Ministry of Interior (Immigration Bureau) which has authority of granting permissions to stay (they also can approve change in visa from one type to another and for granting a Non-Immigrant Visa for retirees that entered on Visa Exempt status).

Second, the "Cabinet Notes" indicate that the purpose of the 10 year visa is the Cabinet wants to attract medical tourists - in a previous article in Khaosod, it has the following:
Intended to promote Thailand as a hub for medical services, the policy was approved by the interim cabinet on Tuesday, according to spokesman Athisit Chainuwat.
Third, the reference to a 10 year visa, but it also it is to be for an initial 5 years which can be renewed for another 5 years.

My expectation is that the Cabinet is authorizing another visa category that can be issued by the Foreign Ministry through their Embassies/Consulates. So, I think it will result in their being either a new category visa "O-X" or the new conditions will apply to the "O-A", thus doing away with the one year stay permitted by that visa.

For either the new category or if it does away with the current requirements for the O-A visa, a person could apply at a Thai Embassy or Consulate which most likely will be restricted as the O-A and Multiple Entry Tourist Visas currently are to being available only for residents of the country where the application is made. Thus, the applicant will have to provide their documentation to the Thai Embassy or Consulate to obtain the visa - thus the money in bank of 3 million baht (equivalent) or proof of an income of 100,000 baht (equivalent) and "insurance policy that will cover the applicant in Thailand for US$10,000 (here I find it interesting that they use US dollar instead of the figure in Thai baht as they do for financial resources - it tends to lead to the expectation that the insurance policies will not be from Thai Insurance companies).

Upon receipt of the new or revised O-A Visa, it will be multiple entry - thus no need for Re-entry permits (somewhere I recall seeing that mentioned, but do not have a reference). Upon entering Thailand using the Visa, Immigration will give them a permission of stay of 5 years (apparently, Immigration would also be tasked with the verification they kept the funds in the bank for the required one year after getting the Visa - infers the 3 mill will have to be transferred into a Thai bank). Also, when the permission to stay ends, the passport holder would then apply for another 5 year permission to stay at Immigration.

So my expectation is that those of us that have used our initial Visa and are renewing our permission to stay on an annual basis will see no change in the current requirements and procedures. However, in the future, I would not be surprised if the financial resources required for renewal is raised as it has been the same amount for the 14 years I have been living here - but, as in the past, when that has happened it only applied to those applying for their first one year extension of stay and those already here would be "grandfathered" so that for them, there would be no change.

Naturally, this is my own opinion and it may be shown later to be incorrect - but I see no sense in speculating on this or that until the rules to implement this change approved by the Cabinet is put into place.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

2lz2p wrote: I see no sense in speculating on this or that until the rules to implement this change approved by the Cabinet is put into place.
Much foreplay to get here.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Alex

Post by Alex »

It's really quite pointless to have any discussion until all the details will be known.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Some more information from Richard Barrow .....

UPDATED INFORMATION ABOUT 10 YEAR THAI VISA FOR SENIOR TOURISTS

December 15, 2016 Richard Barrow Comments 16 Comments
The Thai government has approved the extension of long-stay visas for senior tourists from one year to ten years. The new visa will cost 10,000 Baht. The Ministry of Public Health reported to the Cabinet on 22 November 2016 that the number of foreign senior citizens seeking to stay in Thailand for a long period is on the rise. As Thailand aims to develop itself as a Medical and Wellness Tourism Center, the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in their joint meeting agreed to create a new long-stay visa of 10 years. The extension will be offered for tourists from 14 countries, namely Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Extension of the Duration of Stay for Non-Immigrant Visa (Long Stay Visa)

The criteria are as following:

1.1 The age of applicants must be at least 50 years of age and are required to apply for the O-A visa at the Thai Consulate in their respected countries, or if a tourist travelling with a different visa wishes to change their visa type to O-A they are able to but they will be issued a multiple entry O-A visa for a duration of 5 years and are able to apply for another 5 year renewal of the O-A visa.

1.2 The fee for the O-A visa is 10,000 THB

1.3 The applicant must submit their bank statement with a minimum balance of 3 million THB or evidence of a minimum monthly income of 100,000 THB. When renewing the O-A visa, the applicant must again submit their bank statement with the balance no less than the previous submission for the visa, and also evidence of a minimum monthly income of 100,000 THB. Though within the first year of the 5 year period, the applicant must maintain the balance of 3 million THB or minimum monthly income of 100,000 THB, after which the applicant must not withdraw more than 50% of that sum. The applicant must also submit their withdraw statements for payments in Thailand.

1.4 The applicant must submit their Medical Insurance with 1 year validity and covering the following amount; inpatient, minimum of 10,000 USD, outpatient minimum of 1,000 USD per year.

1.5 Report to the Immigration Bureau once every 90 days.

1.6 Applicants are able to bring over their spouse and children, in the case of the spouse being at least 50 years of age, they are also able to apply for an O-A visa and also have to submit their bank statement. If the spouse is less than 50 years of age then they will receive an O visa, for children under the age of 21, are able to accompany their family to Thailand for education and will receive a non-immigrant visa type (ED). They are able to purchase vehicles, condominiums in Thailand (with reference to the Condominium Act of 1981) with the cash being transferred from their native bank to the Thai bank account. Also, the Thai bank must issue a letter certifying the said transfer.

PLEASE NOTE: A 1 year O-A visa is still available for those who do not meet the criteria for 10 year O-A visas.

COMMENT UPDATE on 15 December 2017: The new retirement visa is an initiative between the Ministries of Public Health & Tourism. It has been passed by the Cabinet & is now with the Ministry of Interior. There are no confirmed details yet about what it will include. It will take at least three more months to finish. The above information was sent to me by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports. Some details may change. I will update this page if I hear of any changes.

Source: Foreign Office, The Government Public Relations and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/12/lo ... -10-years/