The Land of Two Seasons

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

The Land of Two Seasons

Post by Undaunted »

I have seen the cool season shorten in length over the years, now we have 2 seasons in the L.O.S. the hot and the extremly hot.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Re: The Land of Two Seasons

Post by Dodger »

It's a global thing.

This is the first time in 146 years that Chicago has not had a single snow flake during the months of January and February. Suits me fine...I just hope the planet isn't melting.
a447

Post by a447 »

I remember as a kid having snow fights in the local park in Tokyo. Now it rarely snows much there.

And to think, some people don't believe the earth is warming.

Having only 2 seasons, both of them hot, is why some of us could never live full-time in Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote:Having only 2 seasons, both of them hot, is why some of us could never live full-time in Thailand.
Usually the mornings get quite cold in Pattaya during the mid-January-February months. This year, for the first time since I've lived here, that didn't happen. Last year I bought a new blanket for those cold mornings. It's still sitting in a closet - unopened.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Chiang Mai, January 2016; so chilly one evening that most of Amusan Market was closed. We welcomed getting back to our hotel, pleasantly warm without a/c. After seventy plus visits to Thailand, I had seen no reason to pack a coat. Perfectly OK when we arrived in Bangkpk and then Pattaya the next day.
And Luang Prabang, four weeks ago....one day was almost as bad- admittedly we were on the Mekong. The line of usually busy restaurants on the bank of the river all empty. The next day pleasantly warm.
Is the climate in the region changing? I can recall slightly chilly nights in Chiang Mai years ago and my boyfriend complains of cold mornings in Kampahaeng Phaet. To my shame, I never really sympathised. Until now.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Oliver, I totally forgot about Chiang Mai, as I no longer care to go there seems like my radar no longer extends north of Bangkok.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Undaunted, I recommend both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai...assuming you already have company. Luang Prabang, too, if you care to venture that far north and can be patient with the tedious imigration arrangements.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Oliver wrote:Undaunted, I recommend both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai...assuming you already have company. Luang Prabang, too, if you care to venture that far north and can be patient with the tedious imigration arrangements.

I have spent much time in Chiang Mai.....the gay scene is now really dead.....how many temples can you see? Drove once from C.M. to Chiang Rai.....Saw white temple....Luang Prabang is Loas version of Siem Reap.....done that.
painai2

Post by painai2 »

I for one will never bitch about the weather. I hate cold weather.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

How many temples.....? I'm with P for less than three months a year and he loves temples. And so I love being with him when he visits them. My favourite remains the ruined Lanna one in Changsaen. We were there in the early morning and were alone. Very romantic. At least, it was for me!

I agree with you about the gay scene in Chiang Mai. My first visits in the late 90s were based around Adam's Apple. Once that closed (Iknow it's now reopened), the scene, such as it was, lost its appeal.