Sunee Plaza Nostalgia

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Sunee Plaza Nostalgia

Post by Undaunted »

Bangkokian.....I posted this previously in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8357&p=79914

There are less flattering obituaries if you Google: Martin Frutin dead in Pattaya!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Once again a memory: A shop house was rented by a falang......the shop was a corner unit openned on one side and the front....it was across the street from where Nice Boys is today...and a bit to the left.....the shop was totally empty except for the falang who set himself nitely as a one man band with several musical intruments....he played for himself as he didn't care if passerbys took note or not.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

OK Undaunted...here's one for you.

TRIVIAL PURSUIT:

Monty opened and closed 7 different businesses during his tenure in Pattaya. Can you name or describe them?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Hi Dodger, I was never a great fan of Monty....I never understood his attraction.......I remember Monty's Pool, I remember in Jomtien "The Majic hut"...I knew he owned the guest house now named 2 Guys, I remember the deli/bar on Soi Yaba, his shophouse by the Tues. Friday market....and lastly a failed attempt to sell chocolate at a stall at the former Carrefour now Big C extra. His only real success in my opinion was the Pool.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Dam...I forgot his Chocolate Stall...that would make it 8. But you named almost all of them.

Monty's Boy Bar (first bar he opened next to Marina Pool)
Monty's Pool
Monty's Guest House (later became Two Guys)
His beer bar/karaoke on Soi Yaba that you mentioned
His first bar/gogo in Jomtien Plaza next to the old Two Faces (stayed open for about 3 weeks)...LOL
Monty's Bar/Jomtien across from Two Faces (his last bar venture)
His non-precious jewelry business - where he started stringing his own necklaces and bracelets at some stall in South PTY (never saw it)
And last but not least - Monty's Chocolate Stall

A fearless man with endless energy and a tremendous imagination.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

When Monty owned the guesthouse I remember reading a post about the signage on the window that read something like "Have Loom to Rent." Never having seen it myself, is that accurate?
bi-top

Post by bi-top »

Nostalgia question for you long-timers ...

I remember many years ago going to the bar across from good boys. I think it was Krazy Dragon, but not sure if that is what it was called when I went. All the boys danced on raised tabletops with stools all around them, and wore loose shorts that always let them hang loose when they would bend down to talk to a customer ... or something else. The boys made a lot of tips (maybe not so much drinks, though).

And yes, I know this is an old thread, but my questions IS about Sunee nostalgia. :)
In my foggy memory, this bar was always busy. And often busy with girls and couples as well as the standard guy.

What happened to this bar and this concept?
Jun

Post by Jun »

bi-top wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:52 am What happened to this bar and this concept?
The bar you refer to sounds very much like Krazy Dragon. It has closed like most of the other gogo bars in Sunee.

That was never one of my favourite bars, but Happy Boys also had loose shorts and I liked that.

I'm starting to think customers no longer want the traditional gogo bars. We all talk about them with nostalgia, but few visit.
On my last visit to Winner Boys, it had several nice lads on stage, with one or two even making a nice effort to entertain. Yet at one point, I was the only customer.
That's with drinks at 89 baht, which is a bargain.
I was told that the owner of Winner Boys had gone to Jomtien with a pile of promotional leaflets for his bar.

There are hardly any proper gogo bars left and the remaining ones pull in little trade. Even I've made just one off from a gogo bar in the last year.
bi-top

Post by bi-top »

Jun wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:08 am
The bar you refer to sounds very much like Krazy Dragon.
I liked the concept as well as the constant clothing malfunctions. But I thought they had a real money maker because they had a cross-over audience of females, couples and males. I don't ever remember reading of that bar getting in trouble like many of the others, so I always wondered what happened.
Jun

Post by Jun »

bi-top wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:39 am I thought they had a real money maker because they had a cross-over audience of females, couples and males.
I'm sure those premises and various alternatives are available to rent, if you fancy it.