Pattaya 'Happy Zone' opens

Anything and everything about Thailand
readerc54

Pattaya 'Happy Zone' opens

Post by readerc54 »

From South China Morning Post

With mascots dressed as smiling fish and a police rock band, Thai authorities launched a “Happy Zone” at the weekend to improve the image of a city notorious for sex tourism.

Stung by foreign headlines portraying the seaside resort of Pattaya as “Sin City” and “The World’s Sex Capital”, Thailand’s junta has begun a new effort to re-brand it.

But the contradictions in Pattaya highlight Thailand’s challenge in tackling a side of its tourist industry that remains economically vital while being officially excoriated.

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast ... happy-zone
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya 'Happy Zone' opens

Post by Gaybutton »

In my opinion, what they really ought to do is respond to portrayals as a "Sin City" or whatever by saying "Damned right it is! Come on Adults!"

If they want a "family oriented" city, start developing Sattahip, which is closer to the U-Tapao airport or Si Racha, which is closer to Suvarnabhumi airport. Then, everybody's happy . . .
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Where is the "Happy Zone" located. From reading the article, it sounded like they were attempting to change walking street to a happy zone. Is that right? Fat chance that will work.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

According to this article from Pattaya Today, there are supposed to be four locations:

Initially there will be four “Happy Zones” in Pattaya. The first stretches from the Wat Chaimongkol intersection to King Café Restaurant on Walking Street; the second takes in the White Inn Hotel to the Marine Discoteque; the third encompasses the area from the Marine Plaza Hotel to the Pattaya 100 Co. Ltd. (on Third Road), and the fourth reaches from Pratumnak Road Soi 16 to Anytime Café on Beach Road.

http://pattayatoday.net/news/news-from- ... -tourists/

As someone on this board once observed, sleaze is much underrated.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Sorry I can't open the SCMP link.
What are these Happy Zones? Are they non sex areas? So is the rest of Pattaya situation normal?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:What are these Happy Zones? Are they non sex areas?
No. Supposedly it is Pattaya's latest version of crime prevention. For some strange reason, I have a feeling it will turn out to be pretty much the same lip service bullshit as usual.

Happy Zone to be introduced into Pattaya

February 22, 2017

Happy Zone’s are the answer to a safer Pattaya says top cop

A Crisis meeting was held by Pattaya police recently addressing the growing concern over tourist safety in and around the area. The solution to the problem, Happy Zones.

The “Happy Zone” idea come from the national police HQ, and will slowly be introduced into tourist cities across Thailand in the near future. Pattaya will be the first to take a shot at the new concept, which police hope will be a success.

Yesterday operators on Walking Street were invited to Pattaya town hall to meet with regional chiefs, local cops, district officials and immigration forces to hear the plans.

With tourist revenue being a key factor for the Thai economy, tourist safety is becoming a big issue, especially with the recent problems involving foreigners, said Somprasong Yenthuam, a Chonburi police spokesman.

He said he had been ordered by the national police HQ to stop crime against tourists.

Crime figures in Pattaya are said to be the highest in the country, and recent press releases in International newspapers do nothing to enhance the image either.

“So we have decided to set up ‘Happy Zones'”, said Somprasong. “These will be in tourist towns throughout the country but the project will start in Pattaya first”.

The project will initially center on Walking Street then will be expanded to 35 different points throughout the resort.

“The key is to have crime prevention measures,” he continued. “We want the operators in the area to be the eyes and ears for the authorities so that we can work together to solve the problem of crime”.

Specifically he asked for all establishments to set up their own CCTV. Each venue and shop is to have their own liaison officer to work closely with police, military and the municipal authority.

He also asked for co-operation from business owners themselves and asked them to be vigilant on their own premises.

He also elaborated to say that the problem of drugs needs special attention and he implored venues in the area not to employ under 20s in the sex trade saying: “Help us out on this – let’s shake hands on this one”.

The Happy Zone project is set to be inaugurated by Region 2 chief Chalermkiat Sriworakhan shortly.

http://pattayaone.news/en/happy-zone-in ... d-pattaya/
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I don't know if this was part of the 'Happy Zone' or not. On Saturday 26.03.17 around 1800 I noticed police every 50 or so meters in the center of the street from Pattaya South to the curve to the over pass leading to Jomtiem. They were preventing anyone from parking or stopping on the street. They blocked many of the intersections preventing turns. They shut down the baht bus staging area where you get a bus to Jomtiem. They were stopping baht buses from picking up or discharging passengers in this stretch.

It made traffic flow very good where it's usual for long traffic jams. It took a lot of cops, I did not count them but it was a gaggle.

Then the following day Sunday, all back to normal. No police presence. Taxis parked, lines of baht buses stopping where ever they want and back to the usual traffic jam.

I was getting a hair cut Saturday and there was this gorgeous boy/man in the next seat. He was just getting a style/set and was going for one of the sets you see many of the bar boys have. I just assumed he was a bar boy. After he left the shop owner told me he is a police officer. He has a "special assignment" on Walking Street. So, be careful who you approach and don't make assumptions. I don't know exactly what his assignment entailed.

I've encountered undercover police in the bars before but nothing like this guy. They generally look like police, paunchy in their 40's with a short hair cut. Nothing like this guy. I had trouble talking my eyes off this him. He was a 'happy zone' all by himself.
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

If anybody sees a map online of the 'happy zones' or can make one, please post it .....Initially there will be four “Happy Zones” in Pattaya. The first stretches from the Wat Chaimongkol intersection to King Café Restaurant on Walking Street; the second takes in the White Inn Hotel to the Marine Discoteque; the third encompasses the area from the Marine Plaza Hotel to the Pattaya 100 Co. Ltd. (on Third Road), and the fourth reaches from Pratumnak Road Soi 16 to Anytime Café on Beach Road.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Excerpts from editorial in today's The Nation titled "Can Pattaya really ‘drain the swamp’?"

Alien criminal gangs have seized control of properties, businesses and much of the service industry. English and Russian gang members compete for profits, as do to a lesser extent criminals from Japan, some African countries and the Middle East. Needless to say, if they want to stay in business, they all have to share their earnings with Thai overlords. But there is plenty of money to go around.

That’s why it came as a surprise last month when government and police officials suddenly announced they would rid Pattaya of its sex industry (or that it didn’t exist at all). Lately we’ve seen campaigners dressed in smiling fish costumes. Seeking to “re-brand” the city as a family-friendly seaside resort, Pattaya Governor Pakkaratorn Teiancha led journalists along notorious Walking Street, gesturing at lurid bar facades and insisting that prostitution was “not allowed” there.

The reporters might have smirked, knowing this whole charade was spurred by a pair of embarrassing recent stories in the British tabloid press. “World’s sex capital”, one of them dubbed Pattaya, reviving an old theme most memorably captured in a 2005 Time magazine headline, “The Gomorrah of Tomorrah”.

Well, “tomorrah” is today, and if the Thai authorities are genuinely concerned about immorality in Pattaya, here’s a brief “to-do” list.

It starts with subduing the corruption that enables local businesspeople – and, far more worryingly, foreign organised-crime gangs – to break the law with impunity in terms of prostitution, money laundering, employment limitations, illicit drug sales, closing times, noise levels and much else. The foreign “mafias” that have laid siege to every major Thai beach resort should be shut down and expelled, no matter how much money that unplugs from the local economy.

Next, sincere soul-searching is in order if policymakers believe they can control morality while lacking the political courage to put the brakes on this immense revenue generator. The changes needed in that city will hamper or close a wide swath of its businesses.

On the other hand, how about just getting serious and accept that prostitution is here to stay? Rather than parading around in fish costumes, let “Fun City” have its fun, but be civilised about it: Decriminalise the flesh trade, register the sex workers, and give them the healthcare, protection and social security they are due.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/op ... l/30310604
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I hope the 'Happy Zone' will include a safe haven where a group of elderly farang can play Bridge without getting arrested and ending up spending a night in jail . . .

This whole 'Happy Zone' idea is so ridiculous. Why they even care about what a couple tabloids printed goes beyond me. What do they think people come to Pattaya for? Who are they trying to make 'happy'?

The way I see it, if they truly want people to be happy, the powers-that-be would be far more successful if they would just go to their offices, shut the doors, collect their salaries, and stay there.