13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
Captain Swing

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by Captain Swing »

Captain Swing

Don't Read If You're Not Interested

Post by Captain Swing »

I just came upon this article from three months ago, from Sports Illustrated. It's a rather depressing "Where are they now?" story about the aftermath of the rescue. I had read that the cave boys and Coach Ek were no longer Wild Boars; the article discusses that and other changes that have taken place. Nothing tragic (they're all apparently alive and well), but kind of sad.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/06/26/th ... government
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

The Cave movie directed by Tom Wellar is scheduled for general release on November 28 according to the Major Cineplex coming soon list.

Interesting to note 12 members of the largely unknown cast represent members of the USAF. Plus a couple of Aussies and a couple of Brits including a Heathrow copper. (Source IMDb.) I hope the actor portraying the Thai Prime Minister does a credible job.

Teaser trailer

One minute clip from the film

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Airman honored for heroism saves child on his flight to pick up the award

September 26, 2019

U.S. Air Force Technical Sergeant Kenneth O'Brien always seems to be at the right place at the right time. He is a special ops pararescueman based in Japan. As "CBS Evening News" anchor Norah O'Donnell reports, it's a dangerous job and O'Brien is always busy.

While serving on the president's security detail during a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, he saved a civilian from a burning car. Last year, he helped lead the rescue of the Thai soccer team trapped in a flooded cave. He also saved a fellow rescuer, a Thai Navy SEAL.

In a video released by DVIDS last year, O'Brien described what it was like to be a part of the rescue.

"We're all willing to put our life on the line to help these other countries out, and we have to think, you know, if it was our children, our families, we would want people to step up and help us in the same situation," O'Brien said.

For his valor, he was honored as one of the 2019 Outstanding Airmen of the Year. Thirty-six airmen were considered and only 12 were selected based on leadership, job performance and personal achievements. O'Brien has plenty of those.

Just two weeks ago, while flying home for that award, an infant on the plane lost consciousness. O'Brien lept into action yet again, clearing the child's blocked airway and saving another life. His commander, Lieutenant General Jim Slife, posted that he can't decide if O'Brien is a "superman or mayhem," the guy from insurance commercials. We'll just call him a hero.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kenneth-ob ... the-award/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Seeing that the coach and boys have returned to their regular life the coach and the boys of legal age would make a nice addition to Nice Boys also it would make for a great marketing campaign for the GoGo :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:41 am Seeing that the coach and boys have returned to their regular life the coach and the boys of legal age would make a nice addition to Nice Boys.
Sorry. but I think that is a disgraceful comment!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Actually limiting this to Nice Boys is admittedly short sighted it should be a new GoGo called “The Cave”.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

And I consider that equally disgraceful!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Enough of that. If any more of it is posted, do I need to tell what I'm going to do, including the posts already there?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:58 pm Enough of that. If any more of it is posted, do I need to tell what I'm going to do, including the posts already there?
I regret I have to ask - enough of what by whom? If my posts were in the slightest way offensive, then I will albeit reluctantly retire from this forum immediately. And I trust this post will remain and not be deleted.