Pattaya Immigration Update Today Oct.31

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Pattaya Immigration Update Today Oct.31

Post by Undaunted »

As of today certificate of residency no problem getting one at immigration. No need to go to embassy....If needed I could have gotten one on the spot today. There was a stack of completed forms approved and awaiting pickup.

As for what documentation will be necessary in lieu of the British and U.S. embassy stopping income verification, immigration has no new info and is awaiting a directive as how to move forward.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
RichLB

Re: Pattaya Immigration Update Today Oct.31

Post by RichLB »

Today I went to Immigration to do the 90 day thingy. While there I tried to get information on documenting income requirements for renewing a retirement visa. I was directed to go to Section 8 (the usual area for visa renewal) and spoke to the young man who usually rifles through the paperwork for the renewal. He speaks perfect English and was not rushed.

I explained I had the 800k in a Thai bank so I was only asking for some friends of mine who have relied on the affidavit from the US Embassy. He told me that only the letter from the bank verifying a 3 month or more balance of 800k baht was now acceptable. I interjected, "But, what about the ongoing bank deposits of 65000 baht?" He said, "Only bank letter showing 800k baht accepted now."

I tried again to find out about the 65000 bank deposits. His reply was a patient, "Only 800k for 3 months." He went on to say "Maybe they change rules first of year, no one knows."

Since this contradicts what what Thai Immigration's web page says and what others on this thread have written, I urge you take my exchange with a grain or salt, and certainly, to verify for yourself what the "rules" are.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:Since this contradicts what what Thai Immigration's web page says and what others on this thread have written, I urge you take my exchange with a grain or salt, and certainly, to verify for yourself what the "rules" are.
The problem is, as far as I know, from among everyone who has posted about this you are the only one who spoke with the actual person at the Pattaya immigration retirement visa desk who goes over the paperwork applicants submit and decides whether you can or cannot get the retirement visa. If applicants can't get past him, they're going to have a real problem trying to get their retirement visa.

If what you understood that he said is the way it's going to be, at least for the time being, then even if someone who doesn't already have 800,000 baht in his Thai bank account and gets that amount in there today, the three month requirement won't be fulfilled until February. That would mean applicants who haven't already had the 800,000 baht in their account for three months won't be eligible for a retirement visa until February.

From what this man told you, even if someone walks into immigration to obtain the retirement visa right now - today - and he has the embassy letter but not the 800,000 baht already in a Thai bank account for three months, then he's not going to get the visa.

I hope for the sake of people in that circumstance you either misunderstood or the man was mistaken. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of farang who can meet the 65,000 baht per month requirement, but don't have the 800,000 baht, in real trouble.

If I were someone in that circumstance, I would be headed right now to immigration with all my paperwork, to find out just where I stand and what I need to do - or can do.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: If I were someone in that circumstance, I would be headed right now to immigration with all my paperwork, to find out just where I stand and what I need to do - or can do.
The Brits said they would end certifying letters of income in Dec. The U.S. Jan.1.......why do you find it so hard to believe that immigration does not know at this time what they will accept as proof of income or if 800,000 is indeed needed to be in a Thai bank at least 3 mos, add to this that a new chief has just been appointed to head all of Thai immigration, when they decide to let you know you will know or do you prefer to wait till someone hears another rumor over dinner :?:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:why do you find it so hard to believe that immigration does not know at this time what they will accept as proof of income or if 800,000 is indeed needed to be in a Thai bank at least 3 mos
When did I say I don't believe immigration doesn't know? What difference does it make what I do or do not believe. The only thing that matters is what immigration is going to do. Considering what immigration told RichLB, if I was in an uncertain position and could possibly lose my retirement visa, I'd damned sure want to be at immigration trying to find out just where I stand. Wouldn't you?

Ok, you tell me what to believe. Then I'll have a choice of believing what you tell me or what the immigration man told RichLB.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:Ok, you tell me what to believe. Then I'll have a choice of believing what you tell me or what the immigration man told RichLB.
I suggest you go in person and ask yourself....we will be anxiously awaiting your reply!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

My retirement visa is not due until Nov 2019 so I am not going to worry about it now. Everything could change within a year's time many times.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:I suggest you go in person and ask yourself....we will be anxiously awaiting your reply!
We? Really? That's right, I must have forgotten that you speak for everybody who reads this board.

You're going to have a long wait before I go to immigration. I won't be going to immigration until December, as I've already posted. That's when I'll be asking, not before, unless we already have definitive answers by then.

In the meantime RichLB posted what he was told by immigration. That is not a "rumor over dinner." That is fact - what he was told by immigration - today. That serves as a heads-up to those who might be facing a problem they did not know about. If you have any objections to that or you have reason to doubt what he posted, that's your affair.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Undaunted wrote:why do you find it so hard to believe that immigration does not know at this time what they will accept as proof of income or if 800,000 is indeed needed to be in a Thai bank at least 3 mos, add to this that a new chief has just been appointed to head all of Thai immigration, when they decide to let you know you will know or do you prefer to wait till someone hears another rumor over dinner :?:
Undaunted, I must confess to being a bit frustrated by your tendency to distort some of the cautions I've posted on this site. I am not relying on rumors (unless I identify them as such). My information came directly from the immigration officer who passes on the submitted documents. Of course, he could be mistaken or might not have understood my question. He did not say immigration did not know what to do - he was making a prediction about future actions. He was also aware of existing affidavits, but said Pattaya has stopped honoring them as of now.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Shame on you both for perpetuating histeria with no real facts coming from The Thai Immigration authority, you know as well as I do that untill an offical statement of policy is realeased the likelyhood of getting an accurate answer that all immgration offices adhere to is very unlikely.