Kho Samed ?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Kho Samed ?

Post by Trongpai »

Also and interchangeability spelled Kho Samet.

I've been several times going back to the late 80's-90's when it was a true national park with only limited park service lodging, no electric and one TV on battery power on the island at a place called Richard's.

I was last there a around 4 years ago and was developed but it was a nice trip. I was thinking of going there now and I was surprised that Agoda had so many resort listings now with the top place at 17,000 per night. As I browsed the options and read the reviews I was dismayed. I'll dismiss one or two negative reviews but every place had many complaints. The common one being large constant groups of Chinese day tripping tourists being flag marched into the resorts and beaches for a group lunch. Being loud, leaving garbage etc.

After spending considerable time looking at the options, the prices and the problems I'm having second thoughts on a trip to Kho Samed. Anyone with current information on the island and suitable lodging would be appreciated.

I was at a travel fair in Bangkok a few weeks ago and bought a resort package for Kho Phayam, Ranong Provance, Andamam. The booth for the resort actually had a sign that said, "No Chinese Tour Groups" in Thai only but the person selling me the package kept telling me, no Chinese on this island as a selling point. Sold me and we're booked for the last week of November.
Josan

Re: Kho Samed ?

Post by Josan »

Trongpai wrote:the person selling me the package kept telling me, no Chinese on this island as a selling point.
No Chinese tour groups, and no Chinese are two different things!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Josan wrote:
Trongpai wrote:the person selling me the package kept telling me, no Chinese on this island as a selling point.
No Chinese tour groups, and no Chinese are two different things!
The point made by the person selling the package is quite obvious :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Josan wrote:No Chinese tour groups, and no Chinese are two different things!

Yes, of course but I think she meant no tour groups. Sorry I did not question her further. The problem is not Chinese but tour groups of any nationality. It just so happens that the majority of the tour groups are Chinese. Independent Chinese tourists mainland or SE Asian (ethnic Chinese of various Nationalities) do not cause problems. Some are really good looking too!
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

We went with Kho Phayam, Ranong Provance, North Andamam rather than Kho Samet and had a wonderful trip. It's easy to get there. Take a 60 min flight out of Don Muang on Air Asia to Ranong airport. Nok Air also has flights. Then a 20 min taxi or van to the Ranong pier and a 30 min speed boat to Kho Phayam. Sometimes the "h" is dropped, Payam.

https://www.departful.com/2017/03/koh-p ... and-guide/

"Koh Phayam does offer some new high-ish end accommodation, such as Blue Sky Resort, CEDE Boutique Beach Resort, or Phayam Lodge, but you’re certainly not going to see widespread development in the form of chain resorts. There are also no 711 stores or for that matter, any cars on the island either. Both CNN and Conde Nast Traveller have likened the island to the Koh Samui of the 1970’s."

We stayed at the Blue Star, hardly roughing it. Not as expensive as comparable properties in Phuket or Pi Pi. The food was excellent.

https://www.theblueskyresort.com/en/

So, if you've been to Samet and not enjoyed all the noise, parties, hoards of tourists and trashy development I highly recommend Phayam. I've been to Samet several times but after going to Phayam I don't think I'll be returning to Samet anytime soon.
There were very few visitors on Phayam and it had that deserted 60's island feel.

The first mate and his Skipper too
Will do their very best,
To make the others comf'terble
In their tropic island nest.

No phone, no lights, no motor car,
Not a single luxury
Like Robinson Crusoe
It's primitive as can be.
Finnseventy

Post by Finnseventy »

I was in Kho Samet for a couple of days in August.
It is true that there are a lot of tour groups arriving by powerboat on the main beach, many of them Chinese.
They didn't bother me much however, providing plenty of colour and unwitting entertainment as I relaxed on the beachside deck of our accommodation. The boats all left by about 4pm, leaving the beach largely deserted as evening fell.
The day trippers stayed in the area where they were dropped. The rest of the beach was relatively quiet. The smaller coves to the west were unaffected by the day trippers.
I thought it was a beautiful spot and would happily go again.