Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by Dodger » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:15 am

James the First wrote:Now if you are honest with yourself and you really want to effect change (also known as raising costs) do it in a country where you are a citizen rather than where you moved to "temporarily" for your retirement.
In being honest with myself I realize that my opinions regarding matters involving Greed and Corruption have remained the same since birth and have not been (or will be) altered by factors such as where I live. We are all on this planet on a temporary basis and turning a blind eye changes nothing.

James the First

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by James the First » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 am

By and large in my experience the retired elders of Pattaya do not participate in acts of generosity. Paying for sex is not charity boys! If you will re read what I wrote rather than pick a sentence your short pithy retorts might make sense. I do maintain we are powerless to affect change in unfairness in the Thai distribution of income. Please tell me why a sovereign government will listen to either of you? Give me your action plan and next move for success and fairness in the entire planet. Otherwise this is just a group of old maids washing their laundry at the well. I wait with baited breath.

fountainhall
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 581 times

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by fountainhall » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:45 am

James the First wrote:Now if you are honest with yourself and you really want to effect change (also known as raising costs) do it in a country where you are a citizen rather than where you moved to "temporarily" for your retirement.
With all respect to James the First who is entitled to his views, I believe that statement is more than somewhat facile. I live in Thailand "temporarily". In my case that means 17 years - full time. Other posters have lived here longer. I would live here on a more "permanent" basis but Thailand makes such a change of status virtually impossible. So the "temporary" argument falls flat on its face and not just for me. I submit it applies to a large number.

According to JtF', I should do nothing to try and effect change here and instead look to my own country. I would like JtF to advise me what country does he mean in my case? I am a citizen of the UK. For more than half my life I have lived exclusively in three countries in Asia. I do not know JtF's nationality, but if he is British he will know that I, despite being born and educated in the UK and holding a British passport and a British driving licence, was stripped of my right to vote in the UK 20 years ago. And that I, having contributed to the UK's national insurance scheme for 42 years, was more recently stripped of my right to return to use the National Health Service unless I sell up here and return to live in the UK for a minimum of six months each year. I have broken no laws. My only "crime" is having lived outside the UK for longer than the UK government considers reasonable to maintain the full rights of UK citizenship. On what basis these decisions were made, I have not the faintest idea.

In terms of their residence, I know several "temporary" residents who are almost in the same boat as me and some have been here for 20 years and more. Seriously, JtF, you believe we are all foreigners? Funny! After I lived in Hong Kong for just 7 years I qualified for and was given "permanent" resident status!

fountainhall
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 581 times

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by fountainhall » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 am

James the First wrote:By and large in my experience . . .
Aha! Many will say therein lies a major fallacy in your argument.

James the First

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by James the First » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:53 am

Still not seeing your master plan gentleman. However I think I have gotten rid of that stubborn "ring around the collar."

James the First

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by James the First » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:54 am

Become optimistic gentleman. Humanity has never had it so very good as it has right now. https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/bl ... ciYyXSO7Os

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16107
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 691 times

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by Gaybutton » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 am

James the First wrote:By and large in my experience the retired elders of Pattaya do not participate in acts of generosity.
How do you know what we do or don't do? Many of us are very generous, and probably far more generous than you, but we don't make a point of bragging about it or discussing it with other people - and we're not stupid enough to consider giving money to bar boys for offs as generosity.

The point is you have no way of knowing a damned thing about what other people do out of generosity. Since you are essentially publicly accusing us of being misers, tell us what your evidence is. And it better be good because I consider that kind of posting to be troll posting. And you know what I do with trolls.

James the First

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by James the First » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Supposition of facts not in evidence your honor. All I have observed is....if I don't get spanked again for taking you on a tangent after you have asked a question....that so many elders in Thailand must leave now for the want of 800K baht in a Thai bank account or 65,000 per month deposited. How much charity could they perform? Anyway....what I asked for was your ACTION PLAN. Elders who have made "balloon chasing" and 60 baht meals a specialty. Yes, there are a considerable number of people who are charitable....but that has nothing whatsoever to do with affecting income distribution in Thailand.

James the First

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by James the First » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Should have said: "Elders who make "balloon chasing" and 60 baht meals a specialty either cannot afford or do not wish to be charitable. But this is not a posting about charity it is about income distribution for those who work in all levels of employment.

fountainhall
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 581 times

Re: Who Owns The Wealth in Thailand

Post by fountainhall » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:32 pm

James the First wrote:Become optimistic gentleman. Humanity has never had it so very good as it has right now.
"Good" is a relative term. A more appropriate question, I'd suggest, is: are the majority of the people happier?

I have just read through that article about Stephen Pinker's excellent book. Let's recall that he is basically comparing advances over more than two centuries. Some of what he states is therefore pretty obvious. Some I could shoot full of holes without much difficulty. Examples -

1. The percentage of the world’s population living in extreme poverty has plummeted since 1950.

True. Dang Xiao-ping's pulling 400 million out of poverty in the shortest time in history has helped ensure that.

3. Homicides and deaths in war have been decreasing for centuries.

Nonsense! It is fact that the 20th century was the most bloody in world history, More people were killed in war than ever before. Fact!

6. Clean energy is getting cheaper and cheaper.

True! But has that resulted in carbon emissions declining? Not at all. Has it resulted in a slowdown of global warming? No!

7. More and more countries are adopting democratic forms of government.

I maintain this is no longer true. It may have been the case as the 20th century progressed. Now there is a marked decline, and too many allegedly democratic states, like Singapore, are little more than dictatorships cloaked in the emperor's democratic clothing.

8. Racist, sexist, and homophobic attitudes are becoming increasingly rare.

Quite untrue! They may not be as in-your-face as in the days of the KKK, they they are certainly far from rare.

9. School bullying has decreased.

Oh, really? Like all Pinker's statistics, they are skewed to the USA. I'd like to see worldwide statistics before I give this any further consideration. especially incorporating statistics from countries like Japan.

10. People are working fewer hours, and nevertheless earning more.

True in many countries, but far from all. They may earn more in pure cash terms, but after inflation is factored in, for the vast majority those earnings create little more actual wealth. And even if they are earning more, as suggested above, are they really happier?

Post Reply