Do you have sympathy for this man? I have none at all.

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Do you have sympathy for this man? I have none at all.

Post by Dodger »

For a farang to get tangled up in running a bar, let alone dealing drugs, in a place like Koh Samui which is widely known to be controlled by the mafia hinges on insanity. He may have been guided by total ignorance but it's hard to believe that he wasn't aware of the potential consequences and was lucky to get pulled out of the Thai prison while he was still breathing.

He certainly doesn't deserve any sympathy from anyone but seeing a person suffer as those do inside a Thai prison brings me no delight either.

In Buddhism a person who is comfortable with another person suffering, for any reason, is lacking in compassion and self-awareness. We are all perfect people until we stumble and realize that we are only human.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:As we say in Scotland - tough titties.
As we say in the USA, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

He did the crime.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

It is gratifying to know there are so many law-abiding citizens that have done nothing which could have resulted in imprisonment. If you had served time, no matter how good the prison, you would not be singing the same tune.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

You see, he knew his own laws just as other people so often know the laws: by words, not by effects. They take on a meaning and get to be very vivid when you come to apply them to yourself.
Mark Twain
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote:It is gratifying to know there are so many law-abiding citizens that have done nothing which could have resulted in imprisonment. If you had served time, no matter how good the prison, you would not be singing the same tune.
It is easy to throw rocks from your stationary computer chair :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

There is all sorts of really bad behaviour in society and this often has a bad effect on innocent citizens.

As long as we're only convicting the genuine offenders, I am all in favour of long and harsh prison sentences. Also for minor criminal offences, or under aged offenders, corporal punishment would make sense, rather than letting them become a persistent nuisance.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

windwalker wrote:It is gratifying to know there are so many law-abiding citizens that have done nothing which could have resulted in imprisonment. If you had served time, no matter how good the prison, you would not be singing the same tune.
I can think of little that would be more ghastly than spending time in a Thai prison. But those who sell drugs - lots of them - know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it. They willfully trade in addiction, misery and death. Those in the business more than once or twice also know the laws they are willfully breaking. Anyone involved in the drug trade fully deserves their punishment, whether that is in Thailand, the USA, the UK etc.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

What's the difference between buyer and seller? If one is guilty so is the other.
The two most addictive drugs, alcohol and cigarettes are both legal to buy and use.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote:Also for minor criminal offences, or under aged offenders, corporal punishment would make sense, rather than letting them become a persistent nuisance.
Corporal punishment...meaning physical punishment which was historically used on prisoners and slaves has been outlawed in most of the modern world even for the most hardened criminals because it is both immoral and inhumane. Some people still believe that gay people should be strung up by their heels and lashed to death rather than letting them become a nuisance. Fortunately for you those days are behind us.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Everyone who is in prison is a volunteer. End of story.