New Immigration Requirement

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: New Immigration Requirement

Post by Undaunted »

“Opinions are like assholes” everyone has one.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

All things considered it appears as if Immigration is going to consider 2018 a transitional year where some leniency will be applied which can only be seen as a benefit for everyone.

As far as Alex, he could always ask his wife to sell the house (which is undoubtedly in her name) and put the million baht back in his bank account.

...I can't believe I just said that... :?:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here is some of the latest from immigration about the retirement visa rules:
“After three months the foreigner can start withdrawing from the account, but under the new rules the balance in the account must not go below B400,000 at any time throughout the year,” Col Acheep explained.

Asked what happens to applicants who are discovered next year dipping into the account, bringing the balance below B400,000, Col Acheep said, “Just don’t do it. Keep it at B400,000.”

The third – and likely most popular option – is to have B400,000 in a Thai bank account and receiving monies throughout the year that altogether total at least B800,000.
The third method clarifies how to do the combination method.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

As usual this is incomplete. What about the two months prior to renewal? Is that now only Bt. 400,000 instead of the Bt. 800,000 as earlier advised?

I still think the whole thing is an absolute disgrace. There is no way I am locking up Bt. 400,000 for life.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I still think the whole thing is an absolute disgrace. There is no way I am locking up Bt. 400,000 for life.
I'm hopeful immigration will get enough complaints that they will re-think this. This thing about the 400,000 baht is to prevent cheating. Ok, I agree with trying to prevent cheating, but punishing people who don't cheat is not the right way to go about it. They really need to find a different way or simply accept the fact that no matter what they do, some people will find a way around it.

To me one thing they need to do in order to cut down on the cheating is to outlaw these visa shops.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:The third method clarifies how to do the combination method
Apparently there has been another revision to the policy we saw from Big Joke last month.

Do you have the details of the "combination method"?

If someone has +65,000 THB/month being deposited in a Thai bank is it still necessary for him to have a savings in the bank?

Can you provide the link where you obtained this information?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:Can you provide the link where you obtained this information?
I will later. I don't want to post the link now because there are some glaring errors in the article that people will probably find very confusing. I'll post the link, actually the entire article, if and when they correct the errors. The significant portion of the article that would apply to us is what I posted - and that's not where the errors are.

My understanding of the 65,000 baht per month method is just as it was before. The only thing that's changed is how to prove it since the embassy affidavits will no longer be usable.

I don't see what is difficult to understand about the combination method. According to what I'm reading you have to have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account and also be able to prove income that amounts to another 400,000 - bringing the total for the year up to 800,000 baht.

That's the best I can tell you with the information I have so far. The only other suggestion I can make is to ask immigration.
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration this week clarified the new rules regarding applications for retirement visas, confirming only one major change: that for those applying using funds in a Thai bank account to support their application, a minimum of B400,000 must be kept in the account throughout the year.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/holding-t ... zzjSFdj.97
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you very much Jogger. This is the corrected article and the latest information.

Note: The other two immigration topics that were under "Announcements" have not been deleted. They have been on "Announcements" long enough and I have changed their status to standard topics. If you wish to refer to them, you'll find them in the topics list.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Holding the balance: Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration this week clarified the new rules regarding applications for retirement visas, confirming only one major change: that for those applying using funds in a Thai bank account to support their application, a minimum of B400,000 must be kept in the account throughout the year.

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

February 16, 2019

“Phuket Immigration has received the order to introduce the new rules. The order was issued on Jan 18, and the new rules will come into force on March 1,” he said.

Under the new provisions, applicants for an extension to stay in the country temporarily on a Non-Immigration O-A visa – technically just another “permit-to-stay”, but specifically for retirees – must be at least 50 years old, Col Acheep noted.

“They must have entered country on a valid Non-Immigrant visa and are currently allowed to stay in Thailand on a valid permit to stay,” he said.

Of primary concern is the confusion over the financial requirements, which Col Acheep stressed that applicants have to satisfy only one category.

Overall, the three main financial categories that applicants can apply under mandate that the applicant must prove that that all monies in hand – either received as income throughout the year or already in the bank, or a combination of both – totals at least B800,000.

“Under the income requirement, applicants must receive at least B65,000 per month,” Col Acheep explained.

As many embassies no longer issue affidavits confirming income, this is no longer required, he said, noting that letters from governments and pension fund providers will be accepted along with other forms of evidence to prove the income pending.

“Of course any financial statements from banks and copies of bankbook records proving this income already being received should be provided,” he said.

Alternatively, applicants can show they have B800,000 in Thai bank account.

“Under the new rules, the B800,000 must be in the account at least two months before applying for the visa (permit to stay) and must remained in the account for at least three months after the visa has been issued,” Col Acheep said.

Again, financial statements from the relevant bank and copies of the bankbook are required in proving the funds are actually in the account, he added.

“After three months the foreigner can start withdrawing from the account, but under the new rules the balance in the account must not go below B400,000 at any time throughout the year,” Col Acheep explained.

Asked what happens to applicants who are discovered next year dipping into the account, bringing the balance below B400,000, Col Acheep said, “Just don’t do it. Keep it at B400,000.”

The third – and likely most popular option – is to have B400,000 in a Thai bank account and receiving monies throughout the year that altogether total at least B800,000.

The same statements, letters and copies of bankbook records as needed for the first two options are required when applying under this option, Col Acheep explained.

GRANDFATHER RULE

Stunningly, under the new order the old provisions that people who have been living in Thailand for continually on a retirement visa since before Oct 21, 1998 (**See correction below) can still apply under the exact same conditions that they were first approved.

Under this “grandfather rule”, applicants who are over 60 still only need to show that they either have B200,000 in a Thai bank, or receive at least B20,000 income per month.

Likewise, applicants under the same grandfather rule who are 55-60 years old can apply showing that they have B500,000 in Thai bank account or an income of B50,000 a month.

For these people there is no option to provide a combination of monies to reach any special target, Col Acheep explained.

They must have the money in the bank or receive the required monthly income; they cannot add them together to try and reach any special figure, he said.

However, there is no minimum balance required to be kept in a Thai bank account, he noted.

VISA OPTIONS

The Jan 18 order, issued by Immigration Bureau Deputy Commissioner Maj Gen Sarayut Sangonpokai, also made special mention that the new provisions specifically do not apply to:

- People who have Thai families

- People supporting Thai families

- People whose spouses have (recently) passed away

Regarding the exceptions for people who have or are supporting Thai families, Col Acheep explained that the retirement visa may not be the best option for them.

“There are other non-immigrant visas better suited for these people. These visas of course have their own financial requirements, but the financial requirements specifically for retirees will not apply,” he said.

“If you believe you should be on one of these other visas (for supporting Thai families), then please come in and see us so we can explain which visas are available and what is required to be issued them,” he said.

Regarding the exception for “people whose spouses have passed away”, Col Acheep admitted, “We are still not sure exactly what this means. We are waiting for Bangkok to clarify that to us.”

However, he again stressed, “If you think this particular clause applies to you, it is best to come and explain your circumstances to us so we can explain what visa options are available.”

“A retirement visa is an option that foreigners can choose for themselves,” Col Acheep said.

“I just want foreigners to understand the updated immigration policy. There are very few changes, mainly just the B400,000 minimum bank balance requirement – the rest is making the rules clearer,” he said.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I was recently at the US Citizen Services of the US Embassy and it was full of very grumpy retirement age farangs who had been sent to the Embassy to get a "certification of identity" when they tried to open a Thai Bank account. Some called it by other names but as far as the Embassy could figure they just provided a blank affidavit and notarized whatever anyone wrote about their name, address etc. Then at the bottom there's a disclaimer that none of this is confirmed by the Embassy. It seems to make the banks happy the clerk told me. She went on to say they've been really busy providing these affidavits to citizens trying to open a Thai Bank accounts. In the recent past no one ever came in asking for a "certification of identity" to open a bank account or anything else.

The good news is for this group is that none of the 15 or so farangs in the waiting lobby were trying to open a bank account in Pattaya. One came from Udon and the rest were from Bangkok. I asked if they had tried other banks or branches and no one thought to do that.

I had opened Thai bank accounts years ago and opened more than I needed figuring that the requirements would get restrictive and hoops to jump through would be added.The first Thai bank account I opened was with a 30 day tourist entry stamp. It's the same in USA. Opening a bank or brokerage account was getting more and more encumbered.

I was also over at the main branch Bangkok Bank on Silom. Another sighting of confused retirement age farangs in the sit-down hall. I was updating my address and passport number. I figured that would be wise given the new Immigration requirements. I also ordered a one year bank statement, 200B. I was told it takes three or four business days to complete! Call first to check. It could be in Thai or English. I figured Thai would be better for Thai immigration? Perhaps a bank pass book will suffice if you keep your book updated. I've not bothered with it for years.

I get the feeling that every immigration office will be making up their own rules and procedures to accommodate these new immigration requirements.
In the past the Pattaya office has thought up some really strange procedures.