Why Americans are Flocking to Asia

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Re: Why Americans are Flocking to Asia

Post by Dodger »

ceejay wrote:A question for Dodger. You have put this money aside, but what arrangements do you have in place to make it accessible if you are too incapacitated to do so? That's a question worth considering, because some of the most likely situations where you will need large sums (stroke, heart attack, serious road accident for example) are also likely to leave you too incapacitated to go to the bank.
Good question:

Most hospitals (including Queen Sirikit) have easy access to ATM's and accept credit cards as well. Many patients at the government hospitals are pay-as-you-go so I'm sure accommodations are made when a patient is incapacitated. I don't imagine they'd roll the hospital bed out the door and toss me to the curb. At least I hope they wouldn't.

Gaybutton and fountainhall:

Thank you both for your perspectives and advice.

Everything you both said makes good sense - especially picking up a policy with a high deductible /low premium. But finding one in Thailand at a reasonable cost at age 67 is a challenge. I believe you guys secured your policies before age 65 which is a good thing I don't have HIV or for that fact any preexisting conditions and I'm in pretty good shape physically. If either of you could recommend a policy for a 67 year old with a reasonable premium (high deductible) please let me know. What scares me is that they can hike up the prices as you get older or just flat out cancel your policy at the drop of a dime. That's a real ball buster.

Any additional feedback greatly appreciated.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

ceejay - I have sent you a pm
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:If either of you could recommend a policy for a 67 year old with a reasonable premium (high deductible) please let me know.
Why not try Cigna Global? I can't recommend them highly enough. Here's their E-mail address: [email protected]

In your initial Email, let them know you're an American expat living in Thailand, that you spend more than 70% of your time outside of the USA, give them your name, age, and telephone number, and ask to have a representative call you.

They will call you and will go over everything with you, answer all your questions and concerns, and give you a contact person who will be happy to call you every time you want a call. They will not try to high pressure you into buying their insurance.

You can pay for the premium monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or yearly - your choice. I have mine set up quarterly. I have it set up so that the premium is automatically deducted from my bank account. I don't have to do anything other than making sure the money is in the account.

I'm older than you are and I have a low deductible - $375 deductible. My last quarterly payment was 33,232.83 baht. My premium is actually lower this year than it was last year since I did not make any claims, so worrying about sudden huge premium price hikes is not even an issue.

One little warning. Whoever calls you will probably be from Scotland. No offense to any Scots here, but it can be very difficult for Americans to understand the Scottish accent - so be prepared.

At least talk to them. The worst that can happen is you decide against it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:Why not try Cigna Global?
Thanks so much for the recommendations and contact information you provided.

I have already sent an e:mail to the address you provided and will wait to see what they can offer me.

All this thinking about health insurance and I swear I started getting a pain in my chest this afternoon while emptying the garbage and started thinking..."oh shit...this must be the big one"... :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:I swear I started getting a pain in my chest this afternoon while emptying the garbage and started thinking..."oh shit...this must be the big one"... :lol:
Papa

Post by Papa »

Gaybutton wrote:Why not try Cigna Global?
Just out of curiosity, I went into their website, giving them my particulars then got an immediate quote. They have Silver, Gold and Platinum plans and loads of add on. All in the ballpark of GB’s figures.

Within a couple of hours, a telemarketer phoned and email me to ask if I have any questions. All were very professionally and efficiently answered.

He sounds like Filipino and his email indicated his office is in the UAE. No problems with that for me.

I’ll definitely look further into this. Their repatriation add on is something I don’t have right now.