Coffee Shops in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Coffee Shops in Pattaya

Post by Jun »

Well, apparently coffee sales are increasing in Thailand. Here are my thoughts on a few coffee shops.

Gafae (near Tuk Com)
This has long been my favourite, with a strongly flavoured coffee, which I have usually had with their delicious scrambled egg on toast. Unfortunately the cooked breakfast items have been discontinued from 31 January. I don't quite know why. Perhaps there is more margin selling coffee. Most of the customers now seem to be just drinking coffee. The croissants are nice, if they haven't sold out.
Good reliable service, although the number of waiting staff seems to have been maintained, but there is less food to serve.

Starbucks (Tuk Com)
About 50+ % more expensive than Gafae, mild coffee, nice upstairs lounge.

Benjamit
Good coffee, uncomfortable seating.

Delices (Jomtien)
About the best of the places I tried in Jomtien. Coffee OK and has croissants, although not as nice as those at Gafae or Starbucks. Service slow & erratic.

Tinnies (Jomtien)
Very bitter coffee. Eating options seem to be limited to some rather sizable pies, which I did not try.

Coffee Stall Opposite Dicks
Nice coffee, 40 baht.

I didn't try Dicks, as they served me something that tasted like instant 3 years ago & I haven't been back since.

Even my preferred beach concession now has a coffee machine & serves a proper coffee, although rather bland.
Undaunted

Re: Coffee Shops in Pattaya

Post by Undaunted »

Amazon coffee in Tuk Com
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote:Amazon coffee in Tuk Com
I have been in Amazon in other parts of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos.
For my palate, their coffee is bitter & without much favour. The cake selection is all stuff loaded with sugar or chocolate.
I vonsider this OK to visit in somewhere like Nang Rong, where all the local coffee shops are not up to much, but I don't see the need to visit the Tuk Com store, due to good competition.

Grottino is another nearby option. Coffee a tad better than Amazon & a croissant can be eventually delivered to your table. Coffee & croissant for 75 baht.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Agree with Jun - certainly as far as espresso goes. There is an Amazon in the new Marketplace on Nanglingchee. Too bitter for me.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Jun wrote:
Starbucks (Tuk Com)
About 50+ % more expensive than Gafae, mild coffee, nice upstairs lounge.
That is the first time I have heard Starbucks coffee described as mild. Maybe not same blend as in USA?
Jun

Post by Jun »

User palate might come into it, together with the preferred type of coffee.

I am drinking the Starbucks Americano, black no sugar.
It's quite mild compared with some of the other offerings in Thailand, although with less flavour than the coffee served in Gafae.

In the UK, I rarely visit a Starbucks, as the coffee at Costa is nicer. So it does depend upon what the reference is.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

No one mentioned the Coffee Club? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coffee_Club

They seem to be expanding in Bangkok and I noticed one on Beach Road in Pattaya. I love their eggs benedict and pan egg omelet. It's not on an 'English muffin but really good bread toasted, very good ham, not packaged pre sliced and hollandaise.

This was the first location in Bangkok but now I'm seeing them all over town. One on Suk 4 and on Suriwong at Patpong.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ngkok.html

I'm puzzled by the student reviewer from Maryland that had a nice cuppa and watched the river? The Ekamai river?
Jun

Post by Jun »

I visited The Coffee Club near Soi Twilight. Service was first rate & the croissant was very good. So it should be, since the bill for my black coffee and croissant was almost 250 baht.

The equivalent in Starbucks is usually about 180. Just 100 in Gafae, although the cup of coffee is smaller, but with plenty of flavour.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Birdy ROBUSTA, available in Friendship Supermarket for about 10 baht per sachet. Take to room....it is really tasty!
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Bitter coffee is often a sign of over extraction; either the grind or the tamping is incorrect.

The retail cost of the coffee in a double espresso is about Bht6, so there's plenty of room for profit.