More retirement visa problems - maybe

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: More retirement visa problems - maybe

Post by Up2u »

Trongpai wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:53 pm My experiences in Bangkok many not be reflective of Pattaya. Dam, perhaps not even in Bangkok on another day.
Thanks for the reply. Most my friends and I want to use the 65k income per month method, and bringing 800k to Thailand is our last option. I monitor responses on TV and hopefully that method becomes doable in the future.
Gaybutton

Re: More retirement visa problems - maybe

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:17 pm Most my friends and I want to use the 65k income per month method, and bringing 800k to Thailand is our last option.
Things are so mixed up that I can't help but think of that quote from 'Forrest Gump' - "Life is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you'll get."

That quote easily applies to immigration. I would imagine if Trongpai had been dealing with a different immigration officer, he would have gotten different answers.

I still blame the embassies more than I blame immigration. Immigration officers probably have as much difficulty trying to figure out farang retirement documents as we would have trying to figure out Thai retirement documents.

I think the embassies saying they can't verify retirement income is a load of pure bullshit. They could easily check the documents people provide and the embassies certainly would be in a better position to know or find out if the documents people provide are genuine or fakes.

And if the embassies are doing anything at all to pressure Thai immigration to come up with a standardized set of rules and required documents, that would come as news to me. I'm sorry, but I feel as if the embassies just threw us retirees to the wolves about these problems. And I have only one question for them - WHY? Their answer would probably be to pass the buck, at least as far as the USA is concerned, to the State Department. They'll just say, "We didn't refuse to verify. That is State Department policy." If that is true, then I'd like to know who came up with that policy and why.

I guess all these years I naively thought part of the function of the embassy and the State Department is to help. Apparently WRONG!