New (to me) Tops Market

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

New (to me) Tops Market

Post by RichLB »

Quite a surprise. Went to Office Depot next to Big C off Thepasit and was surprised to discover the large furniture store next to what used to be Office Depot (now called Office Mate) has been converted to a large Tops supermarket. It's really nice and seems to have a larger selection than other Tops around town. They even have a wifi counter for those of us who don't like wandering the aisles while the boyfriend shops.
Undaunted

Re: New (to me) Tops Market

Post by Undaunted »

I have been to this new Tops and the only thing good about it is that it is new. Pattaya has many choices for supermarkets I think Tops is the worst, I like the new Villa Market and BgC Extra (formally Carrefour).
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:46 pm I have been to this new Tops and the only thing good about it is that it is new. Pattaya has many choices for supermarkets I think Tops is the worst, I like the new Villa Market and BgC Extra (formally Carrefour).
That was my opinion too.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

To me, Tops, Friendship and Villa Market each have their own niche and I shop each one. Tops is the first choice since it is the closest and has most of what I desire. Villa is at the top of the list but it is more expensive on some items, but not all.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The only Tops supermarket I have visited is in Tuk Com. The thing most in it's favour is a convenient location.

Between 10 and 20% of the items are mispriced, as the price charged at the till does not match what is on display. Never in my favour of course.

On a visit last month, I actually had to wait for the fat young lady on the till to finish sending text messages on her phone before starting scanning my stuff and she then dealt with one message between scanning each item.
First time I have seen that anywhere in the world.
She really scowled when I asked her to deal with the customers before her phone.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04 pm This scenario would not happen in Friendship, I have never waited in all my years here more than a couple of minutes to checkout and the Thai-Chinese owners would never put up with their employees acting as you described in your post.
I remember once seeing the ancient friendship boss freaking out at a customer because they took a new bag off the plastic roll in the bakery section... instead of using a crumpled one that was shoved into the top of the roll

I doubt that the bags cost more than 1 satang each, yet he treats them like they are his offspring!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:08 pm She really scowled when I asked her to deal with the customers before her phone.
I would have reported her to the manager, not that it would have done any good, but I would have at least had the satisfaction.

There is a large Tops near where I live. I have never had any of the problems listed above at that location. The prices there are the same as when I am checking out. The staff is very courteous and attentive and I never see any of the staff using a mobile phone or texting.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:08 pm The only Tops supermarket I have visited is in Tuk Com. The thing most in it's favour is a convenient location.

Between 10 and 20% of the items are mispriced, as the price charged at the till does not match what is on display. Never in my favour of course.

On a visit last month, I actually had to wait for the fat young lady on the till to finish sending text messages on her phone before starting scanning my stuff and she then dealt with one message between scanning each item.
First time I have seen that anywhere in the world.
She really scowled when I asked her to deal with the customers before her phone.
This scenario would not happen in Friendship, I have never waited in all my years here more than a couple of minutes to checkout and the Thai-Chinese owners would never put up with their employees acting as you described in your post.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 pm I would have reported her to the manager, not that it would have done any good, but I would have at least had the satisfaction.
I considered reporting her to the manager, but I wasn't sure where the manager was and didn't have long before an appointment in my hotel.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:07 am
Gaybutton wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 pm I would have reported her to the manager, not that it would have done any good, but I would have at least had the satisfaction.
I considered reporting her to the manager, but I wasn't sure where the manager was and didn't have long before an appointment in my hotel.
Most likely your cashier was the Mgr. :!: