Songkran Booze Ban? Maybe . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Songkran Booze Ban? Maybe . . .

Post by Gaybutton »

Personally I think the idea of banning liquor sales during the Songkran holiday, supposedly to reduce drunk driving accidents, is absurd. Do they really believe people who want to drink won't find ways to get their liquor, including simply buying it in advance of the ban? If these idiots who want to drink and drive really want to do that, they'll find ways to get their booze.

I just hope the drunks aren't driving anywhere near where I might be driving.

Further inquiries needed on Songkran booze ban

March 29, 2019

By THE NATION

Drinkers are being kept on tenterhooks after a ministerial panel on alcohol control has not yet decided whether to ban sales of booze during the upcoming Songkran festival.

The idea of forbidding consumption of alcohol during the festival was an attempt by the authorities to reduce the soaring number of road accidents.

Dr. Nipon Chinanonvej, director of the office of the committee on alcohol control at the Public Health Ministry, said that a proposal had been submitted to the committee to ban sales of alcohol during Songkran Day that falls on April 13 every year.

However, consideration of the plan has been delayed as the panel’s chairman, Deputy Prime Minster Chatchai Salikalaya, was absent when it was due to be discussed on March 15 and has since ordered further inquiries into all the issues involved. “There is not yet a new schedule to consider the proposal,” he said.

Nipon said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had instructed that the laws be reinforced in order to decrease road accidents during the water festival.

Meanwhile Nikorn Chamnong, chairman of the People’s Safety Foundation, said that the powers-that-be should carefully consider whether banning the sale of alcohol during the Songkran festival was a good idea as suitable and appropriate measures had already been put in place.

“Moreover the cause of road accidents is not only drunk driving but also includes speeding and exhausted drivers,” said Nikorn, who is also director of Chartthaipattana Party. “Judging from the New Year festival, the cause of the road accidents by drunk driving has already reduced. I personally disagree with the ban during the water festival.”

The government should also respect the rights of other people who do not drive and want to enjoy the long holiday, Nikorn said.

Dr. Nipon added that his department would intensify restrictions on the sale of alcohol beyond the allowed period and offenders could face a prison sentence of up to six months and a fine of up to Bt10,000. Moreover, those found to be selling alcohol to those under 20 years or in a drunken state could also be jailed for up to six months or be fined up to Bt20,000.

Nipon revealed that Pol Lt-General Damrongsak Kittiprapas, assistant national police chief and acting as chairman of a sub-committee on prevention and suppression of violators of the Alcohol Control Act, had already told police to strengthen the use of laws to help decrease road accidents during Songkran festival.

Other officials from authorities, such as the Excise Department, will jointly visit places that were known to be crowded with revelers, including late-finishing Songkran fairs, to make sure that the laws were being strictly followed.

To sell booze by the roadside was certainly illegal, the doctor |said, as they had no licence to sell. Offenders could be fined up to Bt5,000.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30366742
Dodger

Re: Songkran Booze Ban? Maybe . . .

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:24 pmI just hope the drunks aren't driving anywhere near where I might be driving.
I usually stock up on supplies before the big splash day and avoid driving anything after that.

I remember years ago when they actually tried to ban water during Songkran. Due to the reservoirs being dangerously low they intended to stop those huge water trucks with the fire hoses on top from being rented out and used during the celebration threatening big fines. I think I saw more water trucks commandeered by drunk Arabs that year than ever before.

Then, last year they tried to ban people from riding in the back of pick up trucks during the celebrations, again threatening big fines. That of course was equally as laughable and nobody listened.

Now they contemplate banning alcohol and nobody really gives a fuck.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:08 pm Now they contemplate banning alcohol and nobody really gives a fuck.
The only reason I do is because I don't want some drunken moron crashing into me. Of course, around here that could happen any time . . .
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Keep the booze; ban Songkran.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:53 pm Keep the booze; ban Songkran.
I totally agree however, it would be political suicide, they cannot fuck with Songkran as it is a way for the low classes to “blow off steam”.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:22 pm I totally agree however, it would be political suicide, they cannot fuck with Songkran as it is a way for the low classes to “blow off steam”.
Don't forget that Songkran is actually a Buddhist holiday and Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country.

As Geezer says, "The day I don't like it in Thailand, I know where the airport is." And many farang do head for the airport to escape Songkran.

So, folks, those of you who dislike Songkran and are going to go elsewhere, this year where are you going?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Year after year I left town to escape Songkran until last year when with some strategic planing such as doing shopping very very early and not venturing out in the evening till after 8:00 PM, for some reason this “holiday” is particularly horrid in the Pattaya I know, not the “dark side” where most people on this board probably have never been and likely don’t even know where it is!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Great! Now all they need is the manpower to be able to enforce these:

High-pressure guns, using dirty water banned for Songkran

April 2, 2019

High-pressure water guns, ice, dirty water and celebrants drinking alcohol while on vehicles are all banned during the coming Songkran festival.

Pol Gen Chalermkiart Srivorakhan, deputy national police chief, said on Tuesday the bans came out of a meeting on safety measures to be enforced during the festival, and were intended to boost the confidence of people wanting to celebrate.

The use of high-pressure water guns, ice and dirty water would be prohibited, as would drinking alcohol while on a vehicle, firing gunshots into the sky and selling alcohol to people under 18 years old, said Pol Gen Chalermkiart, who chaired the teleconference with senior police and other officials nationwide.

He also sought the cooperation of young people in wearing appropriate clothing during the Songkran celebrations.

He said thousands of tourists were expected to participate in the Songkran revelry at popular venues in Bangkok such as Khao San, Silom and Asiatique.

In the provinces, Khao Niew Road in Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai and Hat Yai of Songkhla were popular venues for Songkran celebrants.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... r-songkran
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:02 pm dirty water
I am sure they will test the water quality :!: Lol
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

No Songkran on Khaosan Road, Bangkok, this year

April 3, 2019

Business operators on Khaosan Road have decided to cancel activities for Songkran this year to allow authorities to prepare the area for the coronation of His Majesty the King.

The Khaosan Business Association announced in a statement dated Tuesday and released on Wednesday the decision to scrap all activities during the Songkran festival.

Shows, merit-making ceremonies and parades will be suspended this year to allow the government and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to improve and decorate the areas for the coronation of the King, association president Piyabutr Jiwaramonaikul said in the statement.

Khaosan Road, a popular hangout for backpackers, is part of Rattanakosin Island where all roads and buildings will be decorated for the coronation event taking place from May 4-6.

The street has gained worldwide attention for its exuberant Songkran shows and water fights for more than four decades. Songkran celebrations there were also cancelled in 2017 as the country was in the mourning period for the passing of King Bhumibol.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... -this-year