Sending a package to USA

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Sending a package to USA

Post by RichLB »

Does anyone know the cheapest way to send a small package (about the size of a shoe box) to the USA?
Undaunted

Re: Sending a package to USA

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Bob

Post by Bob »

Cheapest way I've sent a few small boxes back to the USA is simply through the post office by regular mail. No need for EMS in my opinion (one can track the package within Thailand by EMS but I don't think there is any tracking with EMS beyond that). Of course, if you're talking about sending something relatively valuable, then I'd use one of the private express services.

The Thai postal offices sell boxes of various sizes and, while I'm not 100% sure, they might have a deal like the US where a given-sized box has a maximum charge for shipping. And remember to take your passport (for the most part, packages sent by us falang require a passport to be presented to the postal clerk).
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Every Christmas card that has been sent to me in Thailand has failed to arrive.
One small parcel did arrive but I made sure it was sent fully recoded from the UK.

So if you want it to arrive in the USA don’t use the cheapest option!
Bob

Post by Bob »

I can generally read printed Thai (absent an unusual font) but I have almost zero ability to read Thai handwriting. So too with Thai postal workers....they have some difficulty in reading printed English but they sure as heck can't decipher a lot of handwriting or even hand-printing (penmanship these days doesn't seem to be improving). If you want to increase the likelihood of letters/packages arriving, I'd suggest you provide pre-printed labels* of your correct Thai address to friends/relatives. It does help as almost everything has arrived for me after I provided those pre-printed labels.

(*I'm not suggesting having a printing service make them, simply provide a word document with decent-sized addresses which friends/relatives can cut out and tape to a letter/package. It really does work.)