GB's Annual Songkran Report

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Re: GB's Annual Songkran Report

Post by RichLB »

I just received a call from a friend who lives in Jomtien Complex and he reports that starting around 1 PM water splashing has begun in earnest. No idea how far up the street it extends, but if you don't want to get wet, stay home.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Death toll up to 82 in first two days ...mostly drunks.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkr ... -two-days/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:04 pm Death toll up to 82 in first two days ...mostly drunks.
More than that now. And by this time tomorrow there are sure to be more.

105 road fatalities on first two days of Songkran

By The Nation

April 13, 2019

Nearly 1,000 road accidents occurred in the first two days of the “Seven Dangerous Days” of Songkran this year.

On Thursday and Friday, 105 people killed and 1,001 injured in 969 road accidents, said Worawit Techasupakur, an assistant minister to the Tourist and Sport Minister, on Saturday.

Nationwide, Nakhon Si Thammarat recorded the highest number of accident at 43, while Lop Buri had the most fatalities at seven and Nakhon Ratchasima recorded the highest number of injuries at 50.

According to the statistics, most of the accidents took place on highways and roads in villages and sub-districts. Authorities have urged provinces to put restrictive measures in all main, minor as well as community roads, including roads around midnight Songkran events, he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30367651

Police blanket Pattaya’s road for Songkran

By Boonlua Chatree

April 13, 2019

Songkran is now underway in Thailand and Pattaya police are on the streets trying to keep people alive.

Daily checks of all buses, minivans and other public-transport vehicles began on April 1 with drivers being tested for alcohol or drug use.

Checkpoints also have been established throughout the area to check for drunk drivers, motorcyclists without helmets and drivers without licenses – all of which contribute to Thailand’s appalling highway fatality rate during every Songkran.

For the official April 13-15 holiday, all roads will be open with at least two police officers assigned to each major intersection.

On April 18, the “wan lai” water festival day for Naklua, police will be stationed around the Dolphin Roundabout to support residents and check on safety.

On Pattaya’s April 19 wan lai Beach Road, from the roundabout to Walking Street will be closed and vehicles will not be allowed from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., subject to change.

Sukhumvit Road, at the junctions of Pattaya’s main roads, also have police and volunteers stationed to support tourists and residents and the traffic.

Prasit Thongthitcharoen, Chairman Sawangboriboon Thammasathan Pattaya Foundation Rescue Unit, said the foundation has prepared emergency boats to transport patients in case of accidents at sea.

200 Sawangboriboon Thammasathan officers and volunteers have been deployed at 20 service booths from Rong Po through the front of Ambassador Hotel. Along this corridor, 6 ambulances, 20 motorcycle ambulances, a rescue tools vehicle and two fire trucks are standing by.

All stations concerned will consist of medical support, volunteers and police at all times so that help can be provided instantly to those in need.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/police ... ran-252136
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

RichLB wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:21 pm I just received a call from a friend who lives in Jomtien Complex and he reports that starting around 1 PM water splashing has begun in earnest. No idea how far up the street it extends, but if you don't want to get wet, stay home.
Yes, I live in Jomtien by the beach and can also confirm the water splashing has started in front of the bars.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Sunday, April 14
Up2u wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:13 pm I live in Jomtien by the beach and can also confirm the water splashing has started in front of the bars.
Thank you Up2u, RichLB, Trongpai, and Dodger for contributing to this topic and helping to keep everyone informed about the current Songkran activities.

At the time of this post it's about 7:40am in Thailand, so I have no other news to report today yet other than the following:

Beach Road closed April 19

By Warapun Jaikusol

April 13, 2019

Pattaya Beach Road will be closed from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 19 for the finale of Pattaya’s Songkran celebration.

Deputy Mayor Banlue Kullavanijaya said at an April 10 planning meeting that the epicenter for Pattaya’s annual “wan lai” water-throwing melee will become a walking street for the day, with tens of thousands of people expected to celebrate the Thai New Year along the shoreline.

Side streets leading to Beach Road will also be closes to traffic. Second Road will be as normal, but likely gridlocked like nearly all of Pattaya’s streets that day.

Police and support volunteers will be stationed around the party zone to keep things from getting too rowdy and lend aid to those overcome with partying.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/beach- ... -19-252134
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Sorry I have not reported on the situation in Bangkok. I decided this year to hunker down and just stay home. So I did a big supermarket shop on Thursday. Then fate intervened. My old fridge broke down early morning yesterday, the worst possible day in the year to get it repaired for at least a week. Thankfully I have a wine cooler and have been able to put some items in there, but the frozen food has to be thrown out. I understand HomePro may be open and might try just to buy a new one. If I do to out I'll report on Songkran street activity.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Today I was out and about on "The Dark Side" and also on Pattaya Klang at Big-C Extra. I saw no water splashing activity anywhere at all.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Buriram is now in full gear with pick up trucks loaded with revelers lining the streets.

Yesterday was mostly traditional Tamboon resulting in mostly foot traffic in and around the temples. Ironically, this is how Songkran first started eons ago where visitors to the temple would take water which hand previously been used to pour over the hands of monks during tamboon - and pour the same water over the hands and foreheads of family and friends back in their villages as a symbol of good fortune in the new year. Amazing what it's become.

During my last Songkran in Pattaya I was sitting outside Two Guys Guest House having breakfast and got blasted by one of those truck-mounted water canons by a guy resembling Osama Bin Laden. I guess I was blessed.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

On way back from Pattaya City Expat Club meeting, traveled from Holiday Inn on Beach Road and turned on Pattaya Klang to 3rd Road, thence to Thappraya Road turned onto Jomtien 2nd Road to just past Atlantis Condo (entry to my housing estate). There were a few with huge water guns on Beach Road spraying passerby (a Baht Bus in left lane just in front of us had all their passengers thoroughly doused). We didn't get any water sprayed on us. Did see some kids with big water guns on 3rd Road, but they were not shooting at anyone. Other than that, didn't see any water gun/throwing activity.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 pm There were a few with huge water guns
Meanwhile, those are supposed to be illegal. So much for that . . .