Anything and everything about Thailand
traveller123

Re: When I Die in Thailand

Post by traveller123 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:52 am

windwalker wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:08 pm
traveller123 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:22 pm

I am a UK national, Thai resident on a retirement visa.
I have a Bangkok Bank Account joint account with my partner and also a UK joint account with my UK bank
For clarification, are you saying that your partner is a Thai?
Yes
To clarify, at the time we opened the joint UK account he was living with me in the UK

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:37 am

Bob,

Excellent planning, and very considerate of your partners needs. That good karma will certainly be traveling with you.

I'm going to follow your advice about making a list of things for him to lesson the confusion, although, with a good tail wind, I could live for another 20-25 years so the List will have to be modified from time-to-time. For instance, my bass guitar and 200 watt amplifier will probably be traded in for a ukulele at some point and those 25 pair of backless thong style underpants will probably be replaced by diapers.

I was never inclined to open a joint bank account with anyone in Thailand including my partner who I adore. We each maintain our own accounts which keeps it simple. Fortunately, he earns his own income, does a hell of a lot better job saving money than I do and is extremely responsible when it comes to managing money. He'll have enough funds in his own account to cover the probate period in the event of my death.

windwalker

Post by windwalker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Bob wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:06 am
It is wise to leave specific instructions (in a Will and otherwise) as to how you want your funeral arrangements to happen...simple cremation or whatever. I say "otherwise" as sometimes people are trying to figure out what you want or how to get it done without having even looked at a Will yet.
Good advice, Bob. One thing that has been missing in these discussions is "when the police arrive at your residence" to get your passport! It has been reported that they gather around your safe and empty the contents, including the passport, and any cash. So best that your partner, if any, get to the safe first. Another strategy is to have your attorney notified immediately of your death and to be there when the police arrive.

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:48 am

windwalker wrote:
when the police arrive at your residence" to get your passport! It has been reported that they gather around your safe and empty the contents, including the passport, and any cash.
I bet they "gather".

Another thing I never thought of. I'll make sure my partner knows to empty the safe before the brown vulchers arrive.