When I Die in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
traveller123

Re: When I Die in Thailand

Post by traveller123 »

windwalker wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:08 pm
traveller123 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:22 pm
I am a UK national, Thai resident on a retirement visa.
I have a Bangkok Bank Account joint account with my partner and also a UK joint account with my UK bank
For clarification, are you saying that your partner is a Thai?
Yes
To clarify, at the time we opened the joint UK account he was living with me in the UK
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Bob,

Excellent planning, and very considerate of your partners needs. That good karma will certainly be traveling with you.

I'm going to follow your advice about making a list of things for him to lesson the confusion, although, with a good tail wind, I could live for another 20-25 years so the List will have to be modified from time-to-time. For instance, my bass guitar and 200 watt amplifier will probably be traded in for a ukulele at some point and those 25 pair of backless thong style underpants will probably be replaced by diapers.

I was never inclined to open a joint bank account with anyone in Thailand including my partner who I adore. We each maintain our own accounts which keeps it simple. Fortunately, he earns his own income, does a hell of a lot better job saving money than I do and is extremely responsible when it comes to managing money. He'll have enough funds in his own account to cover the probate period in the event of my death.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Bob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:06 am It is wise to leave specific instructions (in a Will and otherwise) as to how you want your funeral arrangements to happen...simple cremation or whatever. I say "otherwise" as sometimes people are trying to figure out what you want or how to get it done without having even looked at a Will yet.
Good advice, Bob. One thing that has been missing in these discussions is "when the police arrive at your residence" to get your passport! It has been reported that they gather around your safe and empty the contents, including the passport, and any cash. So best that your partner, if any, get to the safe first. Another strategy is to have your attorney notified immediately of your death and to be there when the police arrive.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

windwalker wrote:
when the police arrive at your residence" to get your passport! It has been reported that they gather around your safe and empty the contents, including the passport, and any cash.
I bet they "gather".

Another thing I never thought of. I'll make sure my partner knows to empty the safe before the brown vulchers arrive.
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

Although the thread is a little discerning, this is probably the best thread I've read in a long time. It gives information and experience from the members which is something everyone needs. Thank you all. It certainly has given me focus on this subject.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I had my Thai will prepared by a well recommended Thai lawyer who has since helped me and other friends with things such as real estate, he told me you do not need the will in English and Thai, English only will suffice.
Dodger, you said you used a template to make your Thai will, the cost to have it done by a real lawyer is approximately 4000-6000 baht as this is one of the most important things you will do in Thailand as you do own a condo I would seek out a professional, also when you die your estate will go to probate your lawyer would be very helpful with the process.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:25 am I had my Thai will prepared by a well recommended Thai lawyer who has since helped me and other friends with things such as real estate, he told me you do not need the will in English and Thai, English only will suffice.
Dodger, you said you used a template to make your Thai will, the cost to have it done by a real lawyer is approximately 4000-6000 baht as this is one of the most important things you will do in Thailand as you do own a condo I would seek out a professional, also when you die your estate will go to probate your lawyer would be very helpful with the process.
This is good advice, although when I contacted a lawyer (soi day/night area) she quoted me 12,000 THB which is when I decided to just do it myself.

I like your suggestion of having a lawyer on hand to assist during the probate process. I'll have to look into this.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:25 am I had my Thai will prepared by a well recommended Thai lawyer
Can you give us the name and contact information for that lawyer?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

His office is called The Law Center. It is near Big C on Pattaya Nua.....His number is 081 344 2109
His name is Vichai
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Bob

Post by Bob »

Undaunted wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:25 am I had my Thai will prepared by a well recommended Thai lawyer who has since helped me and other friends with things such as real estate, he told me you do not need the will in English and Thai, English only will suffice.
A bit surprised he told you that as your Will will be required to be accompanied by an official Thai translation before it can be admitted to a Thai probate court. When I had a Thai lawyer draft a Will for me many years ago, I elected to only have the Will written in Thai for that very reason (plus it would have cost another 1000 baht for a duplicate in English and I was able for the most part to read the Thai). I'd also note that my Thai Will only applies to assets within Thailand (I have other documents in English to handle assets in the US).

When I had the Will prepared, I kept a photocopy and the beloved (a/k/a bf, numnutz, etc.) received one original and the lawyer kept another original. One slightly humorous thing was when the lawyer was going over the Will just before I signed it. She inserted (not at my request) what she said was a standard provision that no beneficiary would receive anything from my estate if the beneficiary intentionally caused my death (in the US, it's unnecessary to include that as it's automatically applied via statutory law). When I gave the Will to the bf for his reading and he got to that section, he looked up and said: "What, I can't kill you!" Hell, I thought it was funny.