When I Die in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Captain Kirk

Re: When I Die in Thailand

Post by Captain Kirk »

Dodger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:02 am Last but not least, the last guy to speak just said "who gives a fuck"... :lol:
I like the way he thinks. No will for me but siblings in UK know what I want and Thai BF won't countenance discussion on the subject. All expense spared, no wasting money on superficial nonsense. I'll leave enough to cover my funeral and there should be a little bit left over.

I'd rather die in Thailand but may not have that choice. If I go here in Scotland my main concern is who will conduct whatever ceremony there will be. I am deeply, deeply insistent that I want nobody from any religious sect getting involved. I should probably go further and find out how to go about avoiding the religious loonies but can't be arsed just yet.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Captain Kirk wrote:
All expense spared, no wasting money on superficial nonsense. I'll leave enough to cover my funeral and there should be a little bit left over.
I am deeply, deeply insistent that I want nobody from any religious sect getting involved.
That being the case have you considered just not having a funeral at all?

I know if I were to die in my home country there would be no funeral because all my relatives there are Catholics or Protestants and would want the religious ceremony. I just kinda like the Buddhist thing and I know this would be my boyfriends preference as well, if in fact he's alive when I die.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

traveller123 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:22 pm
I am a UK national, Thai resident on a retirement visa.
I have a Bangkok Bank Account joint account with my partner and also a UK joint account with my UK bank
For clarification, are you saying that your partner is a Thai?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I spoke with my Thai lawyer today and he said my Thai will in English is all that is needed no need to have it translated to Thai.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Captain Kirk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:43 pm
I like the way he thinks. No will for me but siblings in UK know what I want and Thai BF won't countenance discussion on the subject. All expense spared, no wasting money on superficial nonsense. I'll leave enough to cover my funeral and there should be a little bit left over.
Captain Kirk, I am not familiar with UK procedures, but with the USA, in the event of a death, and no Will, the Embassy will ask your next of kin as to the disposition of your remains. What is the procedure with the UK Embassy?

I do believe that a properly notarized statement from you (ideally notarized by your Embassy) regarding disposition of your body, etc, would also suffice.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

If someone opens a joint bank account with their Thai partner they will have the option of having one or two signatures required for all transactions. Signing up for the two signature option wouldn't do your partner any good in the event of your death so I guess the one signature option would work best.

Personally I think a Thai Will is the way to go. We all know we're going to die one day - but who can predict the life of their relationship with the same certainty.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

windwalker wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:17 pm
Captain Kirk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:43 pm
Captain Kirk, I am not familiar with UK procedures, but with the USA, in the event of a death, and no Will, the Embassy will ask your next of kin as to the disposition of your remains. What is the procedure with the UK Embassy?

I do believe that a properly notarized statement from you (ideally notarized by your Embassy) regarding disposition of your body, etc, would also suffice.
As far as I'm aware when there is no will then the estate goes to next of kin. In my case this'll be my sisters both of whom know my wishes and trust implicitly to carry them out. As at this time I really have nothing which will be worth fighting over, should that change I'd do things a bit more officially. As it stands I just don't see the point.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Captain Kirk wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:42 pm

As far as I'm aware when there is no will then the estate goes to next of kin. In my case this'll be my sisters both of whom know my wishes and trust implicitly to carry them out. As at this time I really have nothing which will be worth fighting over, should that change I'd do things a bit more officially. As it stands I just don't see the point.
[/quote]

Captain Kirk, I do understand what you are saying. Also from what you write, I assume that your sisters will know your wishes as to what happens to your remains, if and when, you die in Thailand. What I am saying, without a Will or a notarized statement, then your Thai partner will have no say as to your last wishes, for better or worse.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I have a Will that leaves everything to my Thai partner. I had it drafted by a Thai law firm (with an Australian Managing Director) - it is written in both English and Thai which will preclude having an English only version translated into Thai which is a requirement of the Thai courts for probate. And, yes, the attorney advised that it will take from two months to ?? depending on complexity and if anyone disputes the will. Because it takes so long, I have set up a joint account with my Thai partner (no problem in opening the account at Bangkok Bank) and, yes, I set it up so that it requires only one of our signatures to withdraw funds. That way, he will have funds available to hopefully last him through the probate process.
Bob

Post by Bob »

It is wise to leave specific instructions (in a Will and otherwise) as to how you want your funeral arrangements to happen...simple cremation or whatever. I say "otherwise" as sometimes people are trying to figure out what you want or how to get it done without having even looked at a Will yet.
With the Will instructions, it makes it easy for the embassy/consulate to stop their "next-of-kin" investigation and allows them to quickly and easily give their release so one can proceed with dumping the body in the Ping River or whatever.
The worst scenario in probate proceedings at times is having one's heir/executor figure out what the hell the deceased owns and where important papers (the Will itself, condo/car/motorsy titles, financial assets, etc.) are located so, do your heir a big favor, and prepare a document which lists everything you own (excepting personal junk), where important papers are located, etc. Include information regarding medical insurance (so they might not have to pay out of pocket for end-of-life medical expenses or at least have a clue how to get reimbursed for that), how to deal with anything you own that has a beneficiary (retirement accounts, life insurance policies), bank account information, etc. You'll make it a lot easier on them if you get your stuff in order and lay out all the information that your heir would find helpful. And do you want your Thai heir to notify anybody else that you're taking a dirt nap and, if so, how is he to do that (i.e., do you want to include important email addresses, street addresses, passwords to access email accounts, computer passwords if any, etc.?)?
I have a separate Thai Will for anything I own in Thailand and I've left a separate instruction sheet for my Thai partner as to what to do or not do. For one example only, I've told him not to tell my Thai bank that I've bought the farm until after he's withdrawn enough funds via the ATM account to to handle probating (mainly of the bank accounts) and to get him through at least 6 months of expenses. Some say one shouldn't do that (I've even heard it called "illegal") but I see no real problem as my Thai Will makes it very clear that my partner gets that stuff anyway. The toughest time for Thai partners is the first 6 months or so after the falang croaks as, absent finding a load of cash in the dead falang's pocket, how is he able to handle any expenses (including cremation and probate let alone funds for food, utilities, etc.,) while waiting for probate to be finished?
The only real need for probate here in Thailand for most of us is to handle titles (vehicles, condos, bank accounts) but the most pressing issue for our Thai heir(s) will be how to pay for things while the probate process is playing out. Think about it and make some arrangements so your Thai heir doesn't want to dig you up (or resurrect your ashes) and kill you again when he's doing the 100-day-after-death remembrance thing. With a little forethought, you can make that time period a whole lot easier for him.