Advice For Travelers to Thailand in 1953

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Advice For Travelers to Thailand in 1953

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Re: Advice For Travelers to Thailand in 1953

Post by jimnbkk »

I click on your youtu.be ... and I get a commercial for grammerly.com. NOTE TO ALL: It's not youtube. It's youtu.be
Jun

Post by Jun »

The link works fine AND takes me to the real You Tube site. The link above is just a shortened one which the You Tube Site generates.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

jimnbkk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:29 am I click on your youtu.be ... and I get a commercial for grammerly.com. NOTE TO ALL: It's not youtube. It's youtu.be
It is still the same. The reason a link appears rather than the video is because people accessing the board with a smartphone or tablet have a very difficult time trying to make the changes necessary for the video to appear in the post. Also, some simply have never figured out how to get the video to appear.

When either of those happen, I go into the post and edit the link so that the video can appear which, as you can see, I have now done.

If you got an ad instead of the intended video, I suggest installing an ad blocker on your computer or whatever you are using. I like Adblock Plus and it is free. See: https://adblockplus.org/
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Fascinating vdo - thanks for posting. The Oriental Hotel was a legend even then and its Bamboo Bar remains to this day, although like the hotel totaily updated. I see there were only seven hotels then. I wonder what happened to the Ratakosindr, Suriyanon, Trocadero, Europe and Pacific hotels.

On the map, several Embassies and Legations are listed, yet not the oldest of them all, the Portuguese Embassy in its lovely building next to the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel on the river. Odd, too, that there is a British Club but not one for other nationalities, the more so since the British, as far as I am aware, did not play much role in the history of Bangkok. Perhaps the map was intended only for British visitors. Interesting, too, that there was an air service to Hong Kong, Manila, Taipei and Tokyo - but with only two flights a month!

Obviously Bangkok was far from the metropolis we know it today. It had to wait for the Vietnam War and its alliance with the USA for real development to start in the next decade.