Car Insurance query

Anything and everything about Thailand
Captain Kirk

Car Insurance query

Post by Captain Kirk »

I've been discussing this with my Thai friend. Always worried about him on his motorbike or when borrowing his friend's car. He says that his motorbike is insured but I know he has no licence. Now here in the UK if I insure my car but have no licence then if I have an accident I know they ain't going to pay out because I am breaking the law in driving without a licence. According to my Thai friend, he says this is not so in Thailand. Tells me the insurance would still be valid in the event of an accident. I'm not convinced however.

Anyone like to clarify?
Gaybutton

Re: Car Insurance query

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:20 am Anyone like to clarify?
Your friend is mistaken. If there is an accident and he is uninsured, they don't pay. If he does have insurance, but no license, then I have no idea how he managed to even get insurance in the first place.

In any case, does he have a reason that actually makes sense as to why he doesn't get a license?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Bottom Line:

No license - No insurance coverage.

All reputable insurance companies in Thailand include the requirement for the driver to be legally licensed in the small print. If it's not a reputable insurance company you're lucky if you're covered even with a license so that's not even worth discussing.

Not to sound like a preacher, but, if a person isn't responsible enough to be able to obtain a license he/she isn't responsible enough to be behind a wheel regardless of the reason they can't (or won't) get a drivers license.

Secondly, Thailand is the most dangerous country in the world for driving and the risk of getting into an accident is of course very high.

If it were friend (or boy toy) I will tell him to buy a bike.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Both motorbikes and cars have government mandated liability insurance. There coverage is miniscule by western standards but I suspect they will pay if your bf has a problem with third party claims. It is the private policy insurance policies we buy to protect ourselves for liability in excess of government insurance and for damages to our cars and others. Bottom line on these policies is not licensed = not insured.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Thai first class insurance policies go with the vehicle, not the driver. BUT, if the person driving the vehicle has an accident and no valid driving license, then no coverage as they require the driver be licensed. You do not have to have a driver license to own a vehicle and/or insure it. My first car was bought in bf's name, insurance was in his name, but at that time he had no driver license (he didn't drive the car, I did and I had and still have a valid Thai driving license).
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:09 am If he does have insurance, but no license, then I have no idea how he managed to even get insurance in the first place.
As a general principle, aslong as the small print says they don't have to pay out if you don't have a license, insuring someone with no license can be great business. As the insurance company takes your money, then when there is a claim they check your license and don't pay. I don't know how this works in Thailand.

Incidentally, for those of you who run vehicles in Thailand, do you get English copies of the T&Cs or is it a case of hoping the Thai T&Cs do not have any unusual conditions ?
I would have thought if your insurance policies require a license, most or all would.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Thanks guys, I figured as much. I'll be giving him a hard time when we chat tonight. I hate that he's taking this risk. One accident could end up destroying his financial situation for years. He owns a motorbike but only has a car licence and his friend owns a car but he only has a motorbike licence. My friend often drives his friend's car while he gets to borrow my friend's motorbike. They need their heads banging together.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:02 pmOne accident could end up destroying his financial situation for years.
Usually when this happens it ends up destroying the farangs financial situation - because they don't have any "financial situation" to destroy.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Another worry - if there is an accident and neither driver has insurance, I don't think anyone needs me to explain what happens next, especially if there are serious injuries or deaths.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:00 pm
Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:02 pmOne accident could end up destroying his financial situation for years.
Usually when this happens it ends up destroying the farangs financial situation - because they don't have any "financial situation" to destroy.
Well we've just had the discussion and I don't think I've managed to convince him that he is wrong. I've even told him not to even dream of coming to me to pay for any accident repairs or hospital bills if something happens. He at least knows I'm stubborn and will stick to my word. He's also been told there's no more visits to the UK until I've seen a licence. Little bit of blackmail is sometimes necessary.