Car Insurance query

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Car Insurance query

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:30 pm He's also been told there's no more visits to the UK until I've seen a licence.
What does he have against getting a license? What is his problem about it?
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:30 pm He at least knows I'm stubborn and will stick to my word.
You may be stubborn but IMO there is nobody as stubborn as a Thai.

I have had the same conversation with my partner, the answer always is "I will do it tomorrow"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

traveller123 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:58 amYou may be stubborn but IMO there is nobody as stubborn as a Thai.
Never was a truer sentiment written!

I will have lunch next week with a lady who was first a client back in 1982. Over the years she has engaged me as a consultant on countless occasions. On most of these when I have made my formal recommendations, I have lost count of the number of times I have been told, "This won't work here. You don't understand Thais!" I have gone all but crazy explaining that what has worked in countries like Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, India and other countries can not be totally wrong. "But you don't understand!"

I could perhaps understand that attitude if the lady spent most of her life in Thailand. But she travels quite extensively each year and deep down must know that I am right! However, she pays - and so I swallow my pride!
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 am
Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:30 pm He's also been told there's no more visits to the UK until I've seen a licence.
What does he have against getting a license? What is his problem about it?
Partly can't be arsed and partly that he really does work a lot of days and long hours and has little time left for anything else.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:31 am
Gaybutton wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 am What does he have against getting a license? What is his problem about it?
Partly can't be arsed and partly that he really does work a lot of days and long hours and has little time left for anything else.
That's not much of an excuse. I doubt you have ever been to the driving license office, but if you had ever been there you would see that it is always crowded beyond capacity. Nearly every Thai out there also has the same kind of work time as this guy has and they manage to find the time.

In other words, he is feeding you a lot of nonsense and apparently you're swallowing it. If it were me, along with telling him no more trips to the UK, I would also make it very clear - if something does happen and he has no license, then he's on his own and you will not pay a single baht to bail him out of problems he caused for himself. Without a license he is subject to fines, liability, arrest, having to pay for damages in case of an accident, or even criminal charges is someone gets hurt - and I guarantee you he knows it. I hope he at least has sense enough to wear a helmet.

To me, it's the "these things always happen to somebody else" syndrome. He needs to remember that to everyone on the entire planet, he is somebody else . . .