Tartawan Hotel Update Anyone???

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Re: Tartawan Hotel Update Anyone???

Post by Trongpai »

It's not a buffet breakfast hotel but that suits me fine. There's lots of breakfast/brunch options in the area including the very good Coffee Club on Suriwong at the Montien Plaza. Eggs Benedict! There's an Irish pub right across from soi 6 on Silom that offers all day English breakfast but I do not like it as much as the English breakfast at Chequers on Sukhumvit soi 4. http://www.chequersbangkok.com/

Right across from FAH on soi 6 there's a restaurant called 'After Hours' that's pretty good. I don't know if they offer breakfast.

I think the Tartawan stopped offering their all day breakfast when the ownership changed. I know it's sacrilege to say this but I've never understood the draw of the Tartawan. I've always found it overpriced and depressing. It came on to the scene around 2000 with lots of advertising in the gay mags of the day and built a loyal following.

I did not like the check out lady at FAH trying to be friendly asking me where's my next destination etc. I should have said: OK, I live in Bangkok but not close to here and I don't like the available short time rooms. I used the room for wild sex with two bar boys and then got ripped and had to sleep it off--any more questions? The Tartawan would have never have asked such questions--they know!
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

This email from The Tartawan arrived today

Greeting from the Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok !!

We are delighted that you have chosen to stay at Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok and we trust you are enjoying the hotel’s services and facilities.

In this connection, we would like to advise you that, after delivering gracious service and memorable experiences for the past several years, we have decided that it is time for an extensive renovation and revitalization of this iconic property.

As such, the hotel will temporarily close for business at the end of May 2019 to carry out the necessary work until 15 July 2019, when it will be reopened under the “imm Hotel Brand” with a new name: “imm Hotel Surawong”.

We are very grateful for the many years of support all our esteemed guests have given us.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation and we trust we will meet again as we embark on the next chapter of this remarkable story.

Please follow the project’s progress at www.immhotelsurawong.com and https://www.imperialhotels.com

For any other queries or concerns, please feel able to reach out to me directly at below shown number.

Yours sincerely,

Thanadon Tibkham
Hotel Manager
Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok
119/5-10 Surawong Rd., Suriyawong, Bangrak, Bangkok, 10500, Thailand.
M: +66 (0) 89 204 9461 | T: +66 (0) 2238 2620 | E: [email protected] | W: www.tarntawansurawong.com
Josan

Post by Josan »

Greeting from the Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok !!

We are delighted that you have chosen to stay at Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok and we trust you are enjoying the hotel’s services and facilities.

In this connection, we would like to advise you that, after delivering gracious service and memorable experiences for the past several years, we have decided that it is time for an extensive renovation and revitalization of this iconic property.

As such, the hotel will temporarily close for business at the end of May 2019 to carry out the necessary work until 15 July 2019, when it will be reopened under the “imm Hotel Brand” with a new name: “imm Hotel Surawong”.

We are very grateful for the many years of support all our esteemed guests have given us.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation and we trust we will meet again as we embark on the next chapter of this remarkable story.

Please follow the project’s progress at www.immhotelsurawong.com and https://www.imperialhotels.com
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Yes, Tarntawan is (or was) an iconic hotel as stated.

Why do people who purchase iconic properties with fabulous name recognition feel they have to change the name? That just baffles the hell out of me.

Frankly, the name "imm Hotel" sucks. Is this a joke?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:40 pm Why do people who purchase iconic properties with fabulous name recognition feel they have to change the name?
Probably for the same reason people who buy perfectly good restaurants feel they have to change the menu and ruin the restaurant - and then wonder why people stop coming . . .
Josan

Tartawan Hotel Update

Post by Josan »

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

From the website, it all looks very nice. But I do wonder why hotels confuse guests with the names of their different types of room. The cheapest room in the hotel is "Deluxe".

This is not just a Bangkok problem. It's common in many parts of the world. Decades ago I was on business in Singapore and my client booked me into a superior room in the 5-star Hyatt hotel. It was like a broom cupboard in a 3-star hotel. I called the manager, met him and asked how on earth a very basic room can be described as a "superior room". I asked him to show me their "standard" rooms, pointing out that the word superior implies better than another. He fluffed a bit and then admitted the superior rooms were their basic rooms - i.e. "no standard" rooms. After some polite arguing, he "upgraded" me to a "deluxe" room which should have been termed a "superior" room!

So a general word of caution. Check exactly what a room offers and do not depend on any hotel's own room classification.

As far as rates are concerned. the site guarantees the lowest rate. Yet one night with breakfast for two in a deluxe room in mid-August is quoted as Bt. 1,400 inclusive. The same date on agoda is US$32.60 inclusive. To be fair, if you give the hotel your email address, you might get a cheaper rate. But agoda looks hard to beat.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The rates look reasonable and they did a nice job with the renovations.

Personally, I'll miss the feel of the old place, but you just can't beat the location.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Something very odd here.
The hotel is slated to be closed for renovations FROM on 16 June and closed until 16 July. I know because I wanted to make a reservation and am staying elsewhere.
See their own reservation page.
Are these computer generated images? Some certainly are.
If this is the final product why isn't the the place open??
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm See their own reservation page.
Can you post a link to that page? I can't find it.