Retirement extension

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Re: Retirement extension

Post by 2lz2p »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:23 pm Apologies if this has already been asked and answered. As mentioned a few times, many of us with insurance policies that have much higher benefits than the minimum required for hospitalization gave up outpatient insurance because it becomes too expensive for the potential benefits as one ages. At one time there was talk of having Bt. 40K or more in a separate account as being permissible in its place. Does anyone know what the Immigration Dept. policy is?
At this point, nothing is known - other than the initial announcement, there has been no additional news - there is even uncertainty as to whether Immigration will consider the mandate applicable only to O-A Visas and not to extensions of their one year permitted stay (although many argue that they are one and the same, they are not). The Ministry of Public Health official, who obviously does not understand the difference, made reference to its applicability to renewals of the O-A Visa -- O-A Visas cannot be renewed - they are issued with a one year validity period, then they expire. You can apply for a new one in your country of residence, but you cannot renew it. Immigration does not issue O-A Visas and likewise cannot renew one.

But, that said they could decide to interpret the rule as applying to extensions of stay if the original stay was based on the O-A Visa. Also, the announcement mentioned you could have insurance from your own country so long as it met requirements. It also, as I recall, mentioned a speculation on the part of the official that for those that could not obtain health insurance, perhaps a cash deposit might be required.

As mentioned, other than the initial announcement, there has been silence -- IMO, the 3 agencies are trying to come to grips and agreement with those issues, thus my mentioning it may be sometime later in July or even later than that before they work out the details. Until they do and we hear some official announcements from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (related to O-A Visa issuance) or Immigration (applicability to extensions of stay and what documentation will be required to show proof of meeting the requirements).

So it is a wait and see mode that we find ourselves -- until such official announcements are forthcoming, saying what may come to pass at this point is just speculation.
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

Just reported on Thai Visa Advice Facebook forum

"FYI...
Trouble ahead!

I'm just reading in another place many, many people using Transferwise for there incoming international transfers have seen these transfers for June and July, including those using Bangkok Bank come in as 'Domestic Transfers'.

They are now 1 and 2 months short if they relying on this method for their extensions.

Transferwise cannot help and simply say they are not responsible for your visa issues.

I myself use Transferwise as the rate is probably the best your going to get BUT I really wouldn't use them if your relying on it for your extensions.
There really is going to be a major problem ahead for some."

----------

You might want to check once again your international transfers IF YOU ARE USING TRANSFERWISE ...in months of June and July.

Tj
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

travelerjim1 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:56 pm You might want to check once again your international transfers IF YOU ARE USING TRANSFERWISE ...in months of June and July.
I did check. Mine came in showing as an international transfer. I don't see why it matters whether TransferWise shows it as international or not. The bank knows it is international and lists it as such. At least Bangkok Bank does. Also, it should be a simple matter to prove the source of the money, if that becomes necessary.

I think this is yet another needless worry, but as a "just in case," I'm going to stick to the 800,000 baht method - for now.
puan

Post by puan »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:54 pm
travelerjim1 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:56 pm You might want to check once again your international transfers IF YOU ARE USING TRANSFERWISE ...in months of June and July.
I did check. Mine came in showing as an international transfer. I don't see why it matters whether TransferWise shows it as international or not. The bank knows it is international and lists it as such. At least Bangkok Bank does. Also, it should be a simple matter to prove the source of the money, if that becomes necessary.
Well I did just check my BangkokBank account and TJ is correct...there is a problem. Since January all of my deposits from Transferwise have been shown as International....UNTIL the July 3rd deposit. It shows as domestic.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

travelerjim1 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:56 pm Just reported on Thai Visa Advice Facebook forum

Transferwise cannot help and simply say they are not responsible for your visa issues.
TJ, I don't doubt what you are saying for a minute, but I wonder if you're communicating this to the right person (or desk) at TransferWise, because this is not an issue with your visa - this is an issue regarding the incorrect transfer code being applied by TransferWise to your account. Apparently this is a systemic problem as reported by others and is clearly their (TransferWise's) responsibility to get corrected.

I know, easier said than done, but it sounds like they're clearly dodging their responsibilities. I don't use TransferWise, but if I did, I will tell them to either correct the problem or consider me gone.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

puan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:30 am Since January all of my deposits from Transferwise have been shown as International....UNTIL the July 3rd deposit. It shows as domestic.
I don't know whether it is something Bangkok Bank is doing or TransferWise is doing. I have no idea why because the funds obviously originate internationally. You might want to contact Bangkok Bank and ask about it. If it is something TransferWise is doing, you might want to contact them and also ask about it. After all, if the money is being transferred internationally, then it is supposed to show as such. It certainly is not supposed to show as a domestic transaction.

In any case, if you're using the 65,000 baht method I would suggest gathering additional evidence about the source of the money to show immigration. My guess is immigration will soon be aware of the problem. I think enough people use TransferWise that sooner or later immigration will realize that despite what the bank says, it's international. If it's been showing as international all this time and now suddenly the same money is showing as domestic, something is screwed up.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:31 am
puan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:30 am Since January all of my deposits from Transferwise have been shown as International....UNTIL the July 3rd deposit. It shows as domestic.
I don't know whether it is something Bangkok Bank is doing or TransferWise is doing. I have no idea why because the funds obviously originate internationally. You might want to contact Bangkok Bank and ask about it. If it is something TransferWise is doing, you might want to contact them and also ask about it. After all, if the money is being transferred internationally, then it is supposed to show as such. It certainly is not supposed to show as a domestic transaction.

In any case, if you're using the 65,000 baht method I would suggest gathering additional evidence about the source of the money to show immigration. My guess is immigration will soon be aware of the problem. I think enough people use TransferWise that sooner or later immigration will realize that despite what the bank says, it's international. If it's been showing as international all this time and now suddenly the same money is showing as domestic, something is screwed up.
This also happened to me this month (first time). My receipt from Transferwise showed the transfer was sent through their partner bank, Kasikorn. It was deposited yesterday morning into my account, but not as an international deposit - likewise, I did not receive my usual SMS notification from Bangkok Bank for an international transfer. I have sent an email through Transferwise's contact page asking them how to go about having my account with them coded so that my transfers only go to Bangkok Bank, not one of their other partner banks (which transfer it on to the receiving bank and account, but shows up a domestic) - that was yesterday - supposedly, I will get a response within 2 days per their acknowledgement. I have read, on Thaivisa.com, as I recall, that getting Transferwise to do this is possible. If no response or inadequate, their contact page does have a "call" feature which I will use for follow-up.

If they can, I will send another transfer this month for 65k+ baht to avoid Immigration problems. But, if they can't code my account to make sure it goes to Bangkok Bank, then I may send funds to my brother in USA and have him wire transfer it to my account and reimburse him for the Int'l wire transfer fee. Otherwise, I can only hope that Immigration will accept a copy of the Transferwise Receipt (downloaded in pdf format from link in their email notifying me funds were on their way) as it shows - my name, amount of dollars being sent, their fee, exchange rate, and amount of baht being transferred to Bangkok Bank and my account number, and that it went through their partner bank Kasikorn. The baht amount shown is equal to the amount deposited into my Bangkok Bank account.

I will post the results - either they say no can do - or hopefully, how to get them to code the account so the transfer will always go to Bangkok Bank instead of one of their other Thai partner banks.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

I have been reading these useful and detailed discussions about issues, bureaucratic procedures, and required documentation for retirement visas in Thailand.

I sometimes feel that I should not even think of trying to retire in Thailand.

Maybe it would just be best to visit a couple times a year, but forget about "retiring" here....
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Just before retiring I considered using Transferwise due to the ultra- low international transfer rates but opted against it.

For U.S. citizens Bangkok Bank was (and still may be) the only provider in Thailand offering a direct deposit service into a Thai bank account. I have no idea what the status is in other countries. International transfers between U.S. $2,000 - $50,000 are charged a flat rate of $10 (300 THB) at the sending end (Bangkok Bank New York) - and .25% of the amount being transferred at the receiving end (Bangkok Bank Thailand). For example if you were transferring $4,000/month the total transfer charges would be 600 THB/month just to give you an idea.

For me, this is economical enough, and who needs all the headaches. From the comments I'm reading here Travelwise is not customer oriented at all and just leave people who need help hanging on a limb. As I mentioned before, I would cut them off in a heart beat, low rates or not.
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

I am still using ACH through Bangkok Bank in NY. Works fine and is cheaper than Transferwise. Of course it may well end anytime.