Retirement extension

Anything and everything about Thailand
Post Reply
travelerjim1
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:41 pm
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by travelerjim1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Good News for British Expats...

If you are from the UK...
And are applying for the O-A Non-Immigrant multi-entry visa for retirement ....which when issued gives you initial one year and with planning up to two years stay in Thailand ...With NO money required to be deposited in a Thai Bank.

This update was posted today on Thai Visa Advice Facebook forum :

E visa application update for OA visa applications.

You now need only to show 1 month of income of 65,000 baht (Approx £1650) or a bank statement showing you have had the 800,000 baht or (Approx £20,000) in an account for 1 month and not 3 months as previously required.

The London Thai Embassy website will be updated later to reflect the change.

Tj

travelerjim1
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:41 pm
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by travelerjim1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:51 pm

BTW...
As I understand it...with the introduction by the Thai Foreign Ministry of the E-Visa online system of processing applications...you apply for the visa online, with required documents uploaded with the application, and upon approval can pick up your new visa from any of the Thai Embassy/Consulates linked up worldwide with the new E-Visa system.

So far it is not widespread...but an application submitted online to the UK
upon approval could be picked up in Hong Kong. At that time you present your passport and the new visa is affixed to it.

I will post more info as it is known.

Tj

fountainhall
Posts: 2622
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 585 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by fountainhall » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 pm

If the above information is correct, it would seem that since I travel quite a lot anyway applying every 2 years for an O-A is much less of a hassle than getting the retirement visa renewed each year. No need to keep Bt. 400K/800K permanently in an account, for example.

Does anyone know if there is any official reason why back-to-back O-A visas cannot be issued - provided one meets the financial, medical insurance and other required information? I am presently in Hong Kong and will see if I can get an appointment at the Thai Consulate tomorrow to check. If not on this trip, I shall be back in August and should have no problem then.

travelerjim1
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:41 pm
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by travelerjim1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:17 am

No reason at all...
Do yourself a favor...Get the O-A

Its easy to obtain from your home country......
For you ...UK

Keep your money in UK or wherever you wish.
None needs to be in a Thai bank.

Back to back O-A visas not a problem as reported by many who have done so.

With planning...you get up to two years stay/access to Thailand...just make sure during the second year you buy the reentry permit. Its included as multi-entry with the O-A during its first year.

I got mine last November from Thai Consulate in Los Angeles.



Tj

travelerjim1
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:41 pm
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by travelerjim1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:27 am

fountainhall wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 pm
If the above information is correct, it would seem that since I travel quite a lot anyway applying every 2 years for an O-A is much less of a hassle than getting the retirement visa renewed each year. No need to keep Bt. 400K/800K permanently in an account, for example.

Does anyone know if there is any official reason why back-to-back O-A visas cannot be issued - provided one meets the financial, medical insurance and other required information? I am presently in Hong Kong and will see if I can get an appointment at the Thai Consulate tomorrow to check. If not on this trip, I shall be back in August and should have no problem then.
The new rule I posted re proof of one month 65,000 or 800,000 in a bank account will appear soon...the UK Embassy website will be updated soon per reports from a reliable person.

And as its been reported too...
One can apply via the UK E-Visa website online and upon approval pick up the actual visa at another Thai Embassy using the E-Visa system... Which I believe Hong Kong and Beijing will be participating.


".....watch how it works. You don't have to collect it in London. You can collect the visa at any mission worldwide outside of Thailand.

Good idea if your not travelling directly to Thailand.
It's the system coming worldwide. China switched to it 15th February, UK and France switch in April. Others will gradually switch over.

They want all Thai Embassy on this system"

From the 1st April all UK and Irish citizens applying for any Thai visa in the UK will need to apply via the online system.
Here is how it needs to be done.

THIS WILL BECOME THE WORLDWIDE SYSTEM OF ACCESS TO THAI VISAS...ONLINE...BEING INTRODUCED NOW IN SEVERAL COUNTRIES.
INCLUDING THE UK.

https://thaievisa.go.th/Images/sliders/e-visa.mp4

Tj

Dodger
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 283 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by Dodger » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:58 am

TJ...Thank you for keeping us updated.

Word of caution:

Those using the new e:system to apply for a Non immigrant O-A Visa (Long Stay) will also be required to show proof of health insurance beginning on July 1st. Many of the foreign embassy websites (including the UK) have not been updated yet to reflect this new requirement.

Also: Rolling out the new e:system before all foreign embassy's are on board with the changes involving Thai Visa Requirements will undoubtedly lead to misinterpretation of the requirements, by both, the users of the system, and Thai immigration. I don't believe that use of the e:sytem for visitors to Thailand is intended to be mandatory, nor is it clear at this stage if it is really intended for Long Stay Visas - or more intended for tourists who wish to stay in the Kingdom over the allotted 30 days where no visa is required.

TJ, please advise if you know otherwise...and thanks again for keeping us informed.

User avatar
2lz2p
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:08 am
Location: Pattaya, Thailand (Jomtien)
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by 2lz2p » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:45 pm

Dodger wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:58 am
TJ...Thank you for keeping us updated.

Word of caution:

Those using the new e:system to apply for a Non immigrant O-A Visa (Long Stay) will also be required to show proof of health insurance beginning on July 1st. Many of the foreign embassy websites (including the UK) have not been updated yet to reflect this new requirement.
I don't believe there as a July 1 implementation date. When the Ministry of Public Health official made the announcement, he said he expected for the requirement to be implemented in July as they still had to meet and work out the details with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Immigration Bureau -- thus, the month of July (not necessarily the 1st day of July) was his estimate of when it would be required. Since his announcement, I haven't seen anything yet commenting on the progress of the 3 government agencies coming up with the "requirements" or a specific "implementation date." It could happen on the 1st, but in the absence of any additional announcement, I expect it will be later than the 1st - and it could actually be later than July.

Dodger
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 283 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by Dodger » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:14 pm

2lz2p wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:45 pm
Dodger wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:58 am
TJ...Thank you for keeping us updated.

Word of caution:

Those using the new e:system to apply for a Non immigrant O-A Visa (Long Stay) will also be required to show proof of health insurance beginning on July 1st. Many of the foreign embassy websites (including the UK) have not been updated yet to reflect this new requirement.
I don't believe there as a July 1 implementation date. When the Ministry of Public Health official made the announcement, he said he expected for the requirement to be implemented in July as they still had to meet and work out the details with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Immigration Bureau -- thus, the month of July (not necessarily the 1st day of July) was his estimate of when it would be required. Since his announcement, I haven't seen anything yet commenting on the progress of the 3 government agencies coming up with the "requirements" or a specific "implementation date." It could happen on the 1st, but in the absence of any additional announcement, I expect it will be later than the 1st - and it could actually be later than July.
Your point is well taken.

Just 2 more days till July 1st and they've been quiet as a church mouse.

fountainhall
Posts: 2622
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 585 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by fountainhall » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:23 pm

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered. As mentioned a few times, many of us with insurance policies that have much higher benefits than the minimum required for hospitalization gave up outpatient insurance because it becomes too expensive for the potential benefits as one ages. At one time there was talk of having Bt. 40K or more in a separate account as being permissible in its place. Does anyone know what the Immigration Dept. policy is?

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16409
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 749 times

Re: Retirement extension

Post by Gaybutton » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:46 pm

fountainhall wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:23 pm
At one time there was talk of having Bt. 40K or more in a separate account as being permissible in its place. Does anyone know what the Immigration Dept. policy is?
I mentioned doing that in the "Mandatory health insurance" topic, but I have no idea yet whether that would be considered acceptable by immigration. Since the requirement apparently applies only to the O-A visa, I have not pursued it.

And I hope I don't have to. Outpatient care is so inexpensive in Thailand, even with my car accident the outpatient cost has not reached anywhere near 40,000 baht. It hasn't even reached much more than 4000 baht yet, and that includes the initial hospital emergency room treatment in Lat Krabang, X-Rays, the first hospital follow-up visit, and prescriptions.

I'd much rather pay for outpatient care myself than have to pay an insurance company the kinds of prices they're likely to charge.

Also, you know how it goes with immigration - what the policy is in one office may be totally different in another. I wish the immigration chief would make up his mind about all the policies, standardize them, and make all the immigration offices adhere to them so we at least can know what to expect.

Post Reply