Notarizing Something In Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Post Reply
User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 1936
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Notarizing Something In Thailand

Post by Undaunted » Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 pm

I need to have something notarized here in Thailand for use in the U.S. Is the U.S. embassy the only option I have?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16357
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 740 times

Re: Notarizing Something In Thailand

Post by Gaybutton » Sat May 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 pm
I need to have something notarized here in Thailand for use in the U.S. Is the U.S. embassy the only option I have?
I believe so. I do know if you need a legal document notarized, the embassy is the only acceptable notary unless who the recipient of your document will allow other options. I know of no American notaries in Thailand other than the embassy.

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 1936
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Notarizing Something In Thailand

Post by Undaunted » Sat May 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks but I dread going to BKK. I wonder the next time they will be in Pattaya?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16357
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 740 times

Re: Notarizing Something In Thailand

Post by Gaybutton » Sun May 12, 2019 5:56 am

Undaunted wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:24 pm
Thanks but I dread going to BKK. I wonder the next time they will be in Pattaya?
I'm afraid you'll have to go to BKK. They don't do Outreaches anymore, probably because most people who went to the Outreaches were there to get the proof-of-income affidavit.

Don't forget - you must make an appointment with the embassy or they won't even let you in at all.

See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... pointment/

Appointment for BKK: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/defaul ... &appcode=1

Appointment for Chiang Mai: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/defaul ... &appcode=1


___________________________________

Dear American Citizens,

The U.S Embassy Bangkok and Consulate General Chiang Mai will no longer provide scheduled Consular Outreach Services .

Please renew your adult passport by mail: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... ort-renew/.

When renewing a minor passport please be advised that both parents and minor children under 16 years old will need to appear at the Embassy. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... ort-renew/
Special Notes:

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service of the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs which allows U.S. citizens traveling and living abroad to receive important information by enrolling with their nearest Embassy or Consulate. If you would like to receive information, please register for STEP at https://step.state.gov/step/.

Please see: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/ for more information about services provided at the Embassy.

Follow us on Twitter: @ACSBKK

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -outreach/

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 1936
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Notarizing Something In Thailand

Post by Undaunted » Sun May 12, 2019 7:15 am

Gaybutton wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:56 am
Undaunted wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:24 pm
Thanks but I dread going to BKK. I wonder the next time they will be in Pattaya?
I'm afraid you'll have to go to BKK. They don't do Outreaches anymore, probably because most people who went to the Outreaches were there to get the proof-of-income affidavit.
What the fuck do they do :?:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16357
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 740 times

Re: Notarizing Something In Thailand

Post by Gaybutton » Sun May 12, 2019 7:25 am

Undaunted wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:15 am
What the fuck do they do :?:
What bothers me is what they won't do. I can understand why they wouldn't do this at an Outreach, but I still see no reason why if people go to the embassy for the proof-of-income affidavit and bring along the same evidence they would show to immigration, the embassy says they can't verify the income. Well, why not?

I also think charging US $50 per notary seal is outrageous. I can understand charging a nominal fee, but why so much?

Dodger
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Notarizing Something In Thailand

Post by Dodger » Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Undaunted,

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but in case you haven't, you may want to contact the receiving party (organization) in the U.S, and ask them if they will accept your document with a Thailand notary stamp or not. If so, you can get this done at your bank. If not, then spend a night on-the-town in BKK and at least get rewarded for the journey.

User avatar
2lz2p
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:08 am
Location: Pattaya, Thailand (Jomtien)
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Notarizing Something In Thailand

Post by 2lz2p » Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 am

Dodger wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm
Undaunted,

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but in case you haven't, you may want to contact the receiving party (organization) in the U.S, and ask them if they will accept your document with a Thailand notary stamp or not. If so, you can get this done at your bank. If not, then spend a night on-the-town in BKK and at least get rewarded for the journey.
A good idea and if they will not accept a local notary, likewise the suggestion re staying one night in Bangkok. The few times I have had to go to ACS at the Embassy in Bangkok, I have left early morning and returned in afternoon. But, since I always leave early with plenty of time to make the appointment in the event of traffic delays, I usually end up having to wait outside as I get there a bit too early - they will not let you enter until 15 minutes before your appointment time. Thus spending the night not too far away, you should be able to arrive at a time that you can go right in or only have a few minutes wait.

Post Reply