Thailand's heat wave about to end as rainy season begins

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thailand's heat wave about to end as rainy season begins

Post by Gaybutton »

As those of you who have been in Thailand during the past couple months know all too well, the best description of the weather - HOT! This year it has been a true heat wave.

Now, with the approach of rainy season, that soon should finally be coming to an end.

Countdown to rainy season

12 May 2019

The country is saying goodbye to the summer heat as weather forecasters plan to announce the start of the rainy season.

Meteorological Department director-general Phuwieng Prakhammintara said the agency will soon officially declare the beginning of the rainy season, with May 26 the tentative date.

People should prepare for changing weather conditions during the transition period between the summer and wet seasons, with strong winds and summer storms likely in some areas of the country, the official added.

The weather agency chief also predicted up to 20% less rain this year compared with last year.

Temperatures in the country hovered between the 20s and early 40s on Sunday with the highest mercury --- 42C -- recorded in Mae Hong Son, according to its website.

The long dry spell has hit several areas, including a reservoir of the Ping River in Doi Tao district of Chiang Mai and Bueng Boraphet, the largest freshwater swamp in the country.

Authorities are scrambling to divert water into the swamp to save fish and other flora and fauna.

Phayorm Duangyu, a fisherman relying on his catch in Bueng Boraphet in Tha Tako district, complained that the sharp drop in the water level is making it difficult for him to launch his fishing boat. The number of fish in the swamp has also dropped due to drought, he added.

Fishermen will be forced to stay home as they cannot take their boats out if the dry spell continues for another two weeks, he added.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... iny-season

"Tonight's weather forecast - dark. Widely scattered light is expected in the early morning hours."
- George Carlin
Dodger

Re: Thailand's heat wave about to end as rainy season begins

Post by Dodger »

Thank Buddha!

Maybe it's an aging thing but I've been roasting my ass off this past 6 months with these 32C - 48C temperatures.

I'm back in Buriram right now in the middle of a severe thunder storm. I made this trip a week earlier than planned due to the forecast for rain this week and made the drive over the mountains before the storm - so it appears the door has already been opened for the rainy season.

I'm happy as long as the raindrops keep falling on my head.

But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Crying's not for me
Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothing's worryin' me