Mandatory health insurance

Anything and everything about Thailand
Post Reply
Dodger
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote:
... the government has stated these changes will begin as of July 1, at such time those that renew subsequent to that date will either be asked to show evidence of coverage or not so before you continue on this path why not wait till we see what happens then!
I think you may be missing the point. I have no intention on just waiting to see what happens. I have every intention on being prepared for what is going to happen.

"Hey"...you told us you already had wonderful comprehensive Health Insurance coverage over here. That being the case, why are you even interested in following this thread?

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 2286
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Undaunted »

[quote=Dodger post_id=94294 time=1560942709 user_id=

"Hey"...you told us you already had wonderful comprehensive Health Insurance coverage over here. That being the case, why are you even interested in following this thread?
[/quote]


My only personal concern is at some point if the mandatory outpatient insurance coverage is extended to non immigrant “O” visa holders as I have excellent insurance but opted not to purchase outpatient coverage.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Dodger
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote:
My only personal concern is at some point if the mandatory outpatient insurance coverage is extended to non immigrant “O” visa holders as I have excellent insurance but opted not to purchase outpatient coverage.
Actually, you don't have a non immigrant "O" visa any more. You have an Extension to Stay. If they were to extend the requirement for health insurance, including outpatient coverage, this would effect ALL retiree's on Extension of Stays.

Who knows if they will do this or not. You can just wait to see what happens, or, start investigating outpatient coverage now, and believe me, that will be a task.

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 2286
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:37 pm
Undaunted wrote:
My only personal concern is at some point if the mandatory outpatient insurance coverage is extended to non immigrant “O” visa holders as I have excellent insurance but opted not to purchase outpatient coverage.
Actually, you don't have a non immigrant "O" visa any more. You have an Extension to Stay. If they were to extend the requirement for health insurance, including outpatient coverage, this would effect ALL retiree's on Extension of Stays.

Who knows if they will do this or not. You can just wait to see what happens, or, start investigating outpatient coverage now, and believe me, that will be a task.
Sorry Dodger for now only those holding A-O visa/extensions are required to show 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient....Unlike you I will wait till if and when those holding “0” visa/extensions are included in the mix. I do not have to renew my “O” till next April so surely I can wait, but good luck to you on your endeavors. I will not go by anything an official says before July 1 and only after that what people who are actually applying or renewing existing extensions experience.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Dodger
Posts: 1594
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote:
I do not have to renew my “O” till next April
Hopefully by April things will be ironed out.

Also, as a side-note, I know the good insurance companies charge an arm and a leg to include outpatient. You may want to take a look at Pacific Cross. Even their Standard polices, which I just signed up for, include 60,000 THB outpatient in the premium. Khun Wim at AA educated me on this.

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 2286
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Undaunted »

Thanks Dodger, I will ask our agent about P.C.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

User avatar
windwalker
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:59 am
Has thanked: 226 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by windwalker »

I did check out Pacific Cross website. Somewhat confusing with the number of policies they over. However I can get some sort of insurance, with a deductible, for about $11,000/year. Not bad???? :o

User avatar
2lz2p
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:08 am
Location: Pattaya, Thailand (Jomtien)
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by 2lz2p »

Dodger wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:54 pm
Zlz2p wrote:
The MoPH Official stated that although the Cabinet had approved a requirement for health insurance for O-A Visa applicants and renewal (?? this has been unanswered question since the announcement since there is no such thing as a renewal of an O-A Visa - the question being will it also apply to those that entered Thailand on an O-A Visa and apply for an extension of stay or continued renewal of such extension),

I have to disagree when you say there is no such thing as a renewal of an O-A visa because this is done all the time. I traveled to and from Thailand for years on an O-A visa which I renewed every year. I never requested or received an Extension of Stay until the time came for me to retire and live here full time.

Those who have O-A visa's, and those renewing their O-A visa's, are required to show proof of insurance beginning in July. Those who are currently retired on Extensions of Stay do not.

As far as your question: Will health insurance be required for those who enter Thailand on an O-A visa and request an Extension of Stay? My assumption would be yes, they will be required to have health insurance for the mere fact that they are holding an O-A visa. The line in the sand has been etched. Those with O-A must have it - those with EOS don't.

Once a person receives an Extension of Stay (EOS) for Retirement purposes, that EOS takes the place of the original visa. That EOS stamp you get in your passport is technically considered a type of visa. The fact that this is not clearly described in Thai visa literature has led to a lot of confusion.
You say "I traveled to and from Thailand for years on an O-A visa which I renewed every year. I never requested or received an Extension of Stay until the time came for me to retire and live here full time." In "years" do you mean within the 2 year validity period of the initial O-A Visa? You also say, "That EOS stamp you get in your passport is technically considered a type of visa. The fact that this is not clearly described in Thai visa literature has led to a lot of confusion."

An O-A Visa has a validity period of one year from the date of issue which is shown on the Visa as the "Enter by Date" - thus after that date they expire and are no longer valid for entry. They are also Multiple Entry Visas as denoted by the "M" in the number of trips shown -- thus, during the one year of validity, the holder can leave and return to Thailand - each time receiving a one year "permission to stay" (which is not a Visa, but rather how long a person may remain in Thailand based on the valid Visa they hold upon entry). So, the maximum one can stay without obtaining a new "O-A" Visa would be close to two years provided they initially entered Thailand within a day or two of its issue getting a one year permitted stay from date of entry and left and returned to Thailand on the "Enter by Date" receiving again a one year permission to stay -- however, to keep that stay alive if they chose to leave and return to Thailand again, they would have to have obtained a Re-Entry permit. In these cases, the O-A Visa is not renewed - it the same O-A Visa that was issued by the Thai Embassy/Consulate - once it expires (passes the Enter by Date) it is no longer valid for entry.

A permission to stay stamp or extension of a permission to stay stamp is technically not a visa - a Visa and "permission to stay" are two separate things. The following is from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website (http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... -Visa.html):
Q: Please give me some advice. I am a bit confused. I am a Moroccan and going to visit Thailand for pleasure with my family. I already got
a Thai tourist visa from the Honorary Consulate-General in Casablanca. I understand from what is written in the visa stamp that the visa is valid
for 3 months. Does it mean that I can stay in Thailand for 3 months?

A: That is not a correct understanding. The validity of visa and the duration of stay are not the same. The 3-month validity of the visa means that you must use the visa within 3 months from the date of issue. The duration of stay is the period in which you are permitted to stay in the Kingdom granted by the Immigration Officer once you arrive in Thailand, that is, 60 days from the date of entry.
As to applicability of a health insurance requirement for obtaining an extension of the one year stay granted by an O-A Visa and any subsequent renewals of the permission to stay, you say "My assumption would be yes, they will be required to have health insurance for the mere fact that they are holding an O-A visa. The line in the sand has been etched. Those with O-A must have it - those with EOS don't." Yes, an "assumption" which may or may not be valid and as I mentioned, it is the unanswered question at this time until the rules for implementation are issued and, of course, for Immigration offices, how they choose to interpret such rules.

Also, for Undaunted, July 1 is not a magic date for implementation. As I recall the MofPH Official's announcement, he said the new health insurance policy would not come into effect until July - nothing about it being the first day. Also, it was his expectation rather than a set time period. The reason he said July was because the MofPH, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and Immigration had to get together to come up with the procedures -- which, IMO, may take longer than the MofPH official expects, e.g., not until August or sometime thereafter.

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 2286
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Undaunted »

For those with A-O visas/extensions that need to show med. coverage of 400,000baht inpatient and 40,000 outpatient a friend has now taken a policy with Regency For Expats.

Cost: $1450 U.S.
Contact: 6621054268

*They do not offer outpatient only!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Bangkokian
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:55 pm
Location: bangkok
Has thanked: 289 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Bangkokian »

Undaunted wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:44 am
For those with A-O visas/extensions that need to show med. coverage of 400,000baht inpatient and 40,000 outpatient a friend has now taken a policy with Regency For Expats.

Cost: $1450 U.S.
Contact: 6621054268

*They do not offer outpatient only!
Thanks. Just looked at their site but they do not give a quotation for those over 70

Post Reply