Mandatory health insurance

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Mandatory health insurance

Post by Undaunted »

I imagine that most people that perminently live in Thailand have health insurance......outpatient on most policies is very expensive however, I think a seperate policy for outpatient of only 40,000 will be very inexpensive and as this unfolds I imagine Thai insurance companies such as Thai Sri will promote such policies.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:18 am I imagine Thai insurance companies such as Thai Sri will promote such policies.
The question is whether they, or any other Thai insurance company, will insure farang retirees who are over 60 years old.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:05 amIf we really do have to start proving we have medical insurance that meets Thailand's requirements, but for whatever reason can't get it, the only thing I can think of to do is open a new Thai bank account, put 440,000 baht in it to meet Thailand's requirements, leave it there untouched, and use that to say you're self-insured.
This is one of the reasons why I've decided to use the 65k income method versus the 800k in the bank method to maintain my retirement visa.

The speaker on the video Undaunted posted quoted Pacific Cross insurance estimates, including modified plans where deductibles could be applied to lower the cost of the premium, although the prices he quoted were for in-patient only. Once you include out-patient which may become mandatory the price doubles.

To Undaunted's point, it seems logical that Thai insurance companies would start offering modified plans for retiree's over age 65 who only want reasonable in-patient coverage including 40,000 THB out-patient coverage if this becomes a requirement.

In the past 6 months I have requested and received quotes from several insurance companies including Pacific Cross, LMG Pacific, Cigma, and others although court's still out regarding my final decision. I know that self-insurance has its flaws and risks, but I'm still not convinced that it wouldn't suffice at a much lower cost. I guess I'll have to make a decision sooner rather than later.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:43 pm It does happen, though. Not to speak ill of the dead, but remember Monty? He was a perfect example. As far as I know his medical bills never were paid. Whether that happens often or not - I have no idea, but my guess is it has happened often enough for Thailand to take notice.
And there was LMTU, who died under the care of a kindhearted expat as I recall.
puan

Post by puan »

Dodger wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:22 pm
To Undaunted's point, it seems logical that Thai insurance companies would start offering modified plans for retiree's over age 65 who only want reasonable in-patient coverage including 40,000 THB out-patient coverage if this becomes a requirement.
What is the Thai word for "logical"? ;)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

puan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 pm What is the Thai word for "logical"? ;)
I actually looked it up on http://www.thai-language.com/

Guess what - there isn't one. Why am I not surprised?
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Like everyone else, I'm confused by this new "rule". I know it has not been finalized yet (or has it?), but I'm trying to make sense out of all the different takes I've been reading. At first I read that this mandatory health insurance was only for those applying for new visas from outside Thailand at an embassy; now I read it is to be applied to everyone looking to extend their retirement visa. Which is it, if anyone knows?

Now on the issue of insurance itself. Many of us have health insurance in our home country that covers "emergency" situations while overseas. As an aside, in my case "emergency" seems to be pretty flexible - for example my US insurance policy covered cataract surgery, a broken bone in my hand, and a lung operation. So while not explicitly saying the coverage was good for outside USA, it did pay. Would this kind of coverage satisfy the new immigration "rule"?

And how about self insurance? Is this an option if one has sufficient fund to meet the 40k outpatient or 400k inpatient bills? If so, would the 800k kept in a Thai bank for visa purposes meet the requirement or would a separate account have to be opened for 400k (in addition to immigration's current 800k requirement)? And, if one opts for self insurance and the existing 800k doesn't apply or a new account for 400k isn't acceptable, how does one demonstrate they have monies overseas to pay for hospital fees?

And, finally, when does this new rule take effect?

I recognize that no one knows the answer to these questions, but I'd appreciate the most informed guesses anyone has. Thanks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 pm I'd appreciate the most informed guesses anyone has.
"Would it help?"
- Mark Rylance (Rudolf Abel), 'Bridge of Spies'
Jogger

Post by Jogger »